Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
this is an easy fix.
they need gun control in chicago.
I'm sure you're joking. They have some of the toughest gun laws in the nation in Chicago. Criminals ignore laws.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-31-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'm sure you're joking. They have some of the toughest gun laws in the nation in Chicago. Criminals ignore laws.
Those tough gun laws seem to be working. Chicago holds the honor of having the highest murder rate. 436 in 2010 and 435 in 2011, which must have been a slow year - lowest murder rate in 45 years.

Article dated 2/2012.
Quote:
Since 2008, 80 percent of the 530 young people under the age of 21 felled by gun violence lived in the city's South, Southwest and West sides, which are heavily populated with African-Americans and Latinos. Ironically, only one-third of the city's population lives in these areas. Englewood, an area in the city's South Side, stood out the most. Their murder rate is five times that of the rest of the city.
Wonder what the rate was for those over 21.

Chicago population: 2.7 million - In 2012 506 homicides.

New York City population: 8.2 million - In 2012 there were 414 homicides in NYC.

Who the hell would want to live in Chicago???

Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Those tough gun laws seem to be working. Chicago holds the honor of having the highest murder rate. 436 in 2010 and 435 in 2011, which must have been a slow year - lowest murder rate in 45 years.
436 isn't a murder rate, it's the raw number. A "rate" is per population. Considering that Chicago is the U.S.'s 3rd largest city, their murder rate doesn't even make the top ten: Most dangerous U.S. cities - Detroit (1) - CNNMoney

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So true. A nice girl gets murdered and the gun nuts use it as a podium to keep their guns.

It's like the father of a slain child in CT getting heckled the other day.

Discussing.
Is that any different than the left using children to push the gun grabbing agenda ? Our own President did it...

Personally I didn't see it being used as a "podium" , I saw it as a fact ... a fact that the majority of the US just doesn't seem to get. If the a city with some of the strictest gun laws in the US has this high of gun related violence it's obvious guns aren't the problem. It's time to look deeper but that would be too hard wouldn't it ?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
I wonder how many ccw are in inner cities vs burbs and out county? The gun contol nuts might not like the results!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Is that any different than the left using children to push the gun grabbing agenda ? Our own President did it...

Personally I didn't see it being used as a "podium" , I saw it as a fact ... a fact that the majority of the US just doesn't seem to get. If the a city with some of the strictest gun laws in the US has this high of gun related violence it's obvious guns aren't the problem. It's time to look deeper but that would be too hard wouldn't it ?
What it means is that criminals are easily getting guns from out-of-state. Stricter national controls would reduce that.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What it means is that criminals are easily getting guns from out-of-state. Stricter national controls would reduce that.
Do you really believe that ? I highly doubt it, criminals are not going to go thru the effort to go out of state. Why would they ? There are so many floating around the inner cities they don't need to. Please try again, more control won't do squat.

We recently had a case here in Detroit where a 13 year old brought the gun to his friends house to sell it. I really don't think that 13 year old went out of state to get the gun do you ? Theft is where they are getting them. That drug deals, and straw purchases.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
I think its blundingly obvious that nobody who can a make a difference cares about this. All they will do is use it to help bam guns which never would have stopped this.

It would make more sence to impose a sentence that will deter these criminals but they wont.

It would make more sense to create sport and rec programs to give youth an outlet but they wont.

It would make more sense if they would teach the poor youth trades so they can focus their energy but they wont.

The list goes on and on and on about actual programs they can do to help with the issue instead of knee jerk reactions. But banning guns makes them puff their chest while making them feel good. Meanwhile some 8yr old is being jumped into a gang.

They flat out just dont care about poor black and hispanics in the area. If they did they would do something about it imho

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
Also where is the push for converting all guns with smart gun technology. Make it so only the gun owner can cause the weapon to work.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think its blundingly obvious that nobody who can a make a difference cares about this. All they will do is use it to help bam guns which never would have stopped this.

It would make more sence to impose a sentence that will deter these criminals but they wont.

It would make more sense to create sport and rec programs to give youth an outlet but they wont.

It would make more sense if they would teach the poor youth trades so they can focus their energy but they wont.

The list goes on and on and on about actual programs they can do to help with the issue instead of knee jerk reactions. But banning guns makes them puff their chest while making them feel good. Meanwhile some 8yr old is being jumped into a gang.

They flat out just dont care about poor black and hispanics in the area. If they did they would do something about it imho

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Ahhh but these suggestions you've thrown out are logical and make sense , it's soooo much easier to blame the guns and the sheeple believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Also where is the push for converting all guns with smart gun technology. Make it so only the gun owner can cause the weapon to work.
Looks like our own gov't is doing a good job of arming criminals as well...
A Journal Sentinel Watchdog Update - Members of Congress seek inquiry of faulty ATF operation in Milwaukee

Smart gun tech is a great sounding theory but it's know where close to being a 100% infallible solution. Maybe in future years but not now.
Smart Gun - Science Updates - Science NetLinks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies