Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:45 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Then the cost of eating out will have to go up since waitresses are paid well below minimum wage legally only because a tip is expected to compensate. So really ding away with tips wont save you any money. People can't serve your butt for free
Another person jumping in who hasn't read the whole thread (or probably even my first post). Apologies to those who notice I'm repeating myself a lot, because I keep getting questions that miss the point.

This is not about people "serving your butt" for free.

No, the cost of eating out will not go up for me. The prices shown on the menu will go up, but the end cost (for ME, a generous tipper) will not go up.

With the current tipping system, if the menu price for my whole meal adds up to $40, I would pay the server $50 (I tip at least 20%, and usually round up, as in this case). If the restaurant simply charged 15-20% more for the meal, it would cost $46-$48, with the server's wage built into that price. No additional tipping.

Now, for the cheapskates who tip little to nothing, yes, it would cost more to eat out if the server's wage was built automatically into the cost of the meal.

But if you read through this thread, you'll see my gripe about tipping is much more than just restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I wonder what would happen to a resturant that posted a sign that said "NO TIPPING ALLOWED" but charged about 20 to 25% more for their food... then paid wages based on the resturants income....

I wonder first if people would go there.
If the food was good, I would go there LOTS and I would encourage everyone I know to go there!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Another person jumping in who hasn't read the whole thread (or probably even my first post). Apologies to those who notice I'm repeating myself a lot, because I keep getting questions that miss the point.

This is not about people "serving your butt" for free.

No, the cost of eating out will not go up for me. The prices shown on the menu will go up, but the end cost (for ME, a generous tipper) will not go up.

With the current tipping system, if the menu price for my whole meal adds up to $40, I would pay the server $50 (I tip at least 20%, and usually round up, as in this case). If the restaurant simply charged 15-20% more for the meal, it would cost $46-$48, with the server's wage built into that price. No additional tipping.

Now, for the cheapskates who tip little to nothing, yes, it would cost more to eat out if the server's wage was built automatically into the cost of the meal.

But if you read through this thread, you'll see my gripe about tipping is much more than just restaurants.

the only problem with this scenario is many restaurant owners would just keep the extra money charged and not put it towards the server's pay. which is probably why tipping started in the first place. low wages

Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
In a lot of European countries, such as Italy, there is no tipping expected. The server's job is one that is compensated fairly. I don't recall poor service at a restaurant in any European country I've visited where tips aren't an incentive for the wait staff.

I don't mind tipping, but do agree that it's getting ridiculous. Restaurants, hair cutters, valets... fine.

But these days anyone who does anything remotely service oriented for another person expects a tip. Sometimes I get anxious as to who expects a tip, who doesn't... am I being rude, stingy, etc... maybe I need to buy one of those guides to tipping!
In Europe, often the wait staff are mature people. Here, it is mostly the youngsters. Granted, in NYC or other cosmopolitan areas, you can find older adults waiting tables particularly in the more upscale places. I imagine though with the European economy the way it is, people are glad to get a server job of any sort regardless of age.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
My tip view

1) I would prefer a European (on the door/on menu) service charge for table service. Tip not expected, exceptional service 5-10%

2) I tip pre-tax

3) ~20% for good service.. and it goes down from there. Got a guy fired one time for bad service, figure 0 tip is better than me getting you fired.

4)If i have to do any work, i really dont' want to tip. i.e. if we are at a place, you order at a register, they give you a card, and you sit down and someone brings the food? no tip. If I go to a buffet and I get the food/drinks - no tip.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Finally a restaurant that actually disallows tipping, and pays their staff a reasonable wage! I can only hope this catches on. It has never made sense to me that restaurant employees should be paid differently than staff in other industries requiring customer service (i.e. stores of various types)

NYC Sushi Restaurant's Ban on Tips Perplexes Diners | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Finally a restaurant that actually disallows tipping, and pays their staff a reasonable wage! I can only hope this catches on. It has never made sense to me that restaurant employees should be paid differently than staff in other industries requiring customer service (i.e. stores of various types)

NYC Sushi Restaurant's Ban on Tips Perplexes Diners | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
There are a couple of things you may not have thought about: 1-those employees will now pay a lot more in income taxes, most good wait people prefer the depend on tips: 2-you may see a decline in service and 3-this will last just so long and before you know it you will see it become common for us to leave the change behind, then you might see an small additional service charge and on and on. Tipping will return, I can almost guarantee you. How many businesses do you know where, even though the employees might make a decent salary or certainly min wage, still expect tips: bellmen, delivery men, hotel housekeepers, etc? Do you really think this one restaurant will change the tipping policy? And last but not least: the additional salary being paid to employees will be added to the cost, we consumers pay for the product.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM

[quote=nmnita;29972990]
Quote:
There are a couple of things you may not have thought about: 1-those employees will now pay a lot more in income taxes,
The only reason they would start paying more in income taxes is because they were cheaters who didn't report all their tips in the past. Why should that be considered ok?

Quote:
you may see a decline in service
This has all been discussed in this thread. People in all sorts of industries, and all around the world, manage to do a good job without tips. People who aren't doing a good job should not keep their job. Why should wait staff be any different?

Quote:
And last but not least: the additional salary being paid to employees will be added to the cost, we consumers pay for the product.
Well of course it would be added to the cost. I would much prefer to have the cost of my meal reflect the entire cost of providing it, including the wait staff's salary, than to have to supplement their salary via tipping.

I don't go into a grocery store, and see that a can of peas costs 78 cents, but expect to pay 20% more for that can because the price doesn't include paying wages for the cashier and bagger.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:34 PM

And another article about restaurants that are going "tipless." Bravo, and may you spread like wildfire!

The End of Restaurant Tipping? - Yahoo! Finance

Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Yes. It's archaic. I don't mind if the cost of my meal goes up to be honest.

Service quality shouldn't decrease... I had plenty of good service in France where tipping is rare.

Plus, it kind of irks me that waiters can bring home large amounts of money without any of it being taxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies