Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

Either that, or servers would start to be paid closer to minimum wage (given how high unemployment is, and how easy it is to get a serving job, relative to other jobs in the economy), then they would perform worse, give lower quality service, and not care given the fact that they would be paid the same.
I don't think servers should be paid close to minimum wage. Anyone here know how much a server averages, with tips? Whatever that is, that's what they should be paid. (I realize it will be higher for higher end restaurants).

And they should do a good job because they should take pride in their job. If they consistently give poor service, they should be fired. Plenty of unemployed people will be happy to take their place.

I would think the workers would be happy to know they have a guaranteed amount coming in, and not having to worry about the pastor who doesn't want to pay the server more than she "pays God," or the depression-era diner who still thinks 3 bucks is a great tip, or the cheapskates who are going to leave a handful of change, or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
The restaurants should be responsible for paying a living and fair wage. Not the customer.
Customers pay all wages.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM

61 posts, read 46,876 times
The people who say tipping should be done away with have never worked in a restaurant before.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
The restaurants should be responsible for paying a living and fair wage. Not the customer. The only thing the customer should have to pay is the before agreed upon price of the food. All this system does is benefits the restaurants by having deceptively low prices for food. Tipping should be reserved for when the customer is truly pleased.
Applause.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM

571 posts, read 791,115 times
Quote:
The restaurants should be responsible for paying a living and fair wage. Not the customer. The only thing the customer should have to pay is the before agreed upon price of the food. All this system does is benefits the restaurants by having deceptively low prices for food. Tipping should be reserved for when the customer is truly pleased.
The "system" also ensure that the server is working for you. I work in a mom and pop place as an "independent contractor", the restaurant pays me literally nothing. Not a cent. I work for the customer exclusively. So actually, it is your responsibility to tip.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM

Is tipping really a burden for so many people? Geez, some people have such a backwards mentality. Nobody's forcing you to dine out.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
And what about fine dining? How can you expect your server to be an expert in wine, etc. if he's a minimum wage employee?
I don't believe anyone said servers should be paid minimum wage! You are missing my point.

When I go into, let's say, a fine, upscale lamp shop, I expect the salesperson to be somewhat of an expert on the lamps in the store. She gives me guidance, information, suggestions, and I make my purchase.

I do not pay her 20% above the price of the lamp, in exchange for her knowledge and excellent service. She did her job. I hope she is being paid well, but that is between her and her employer.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3783 View Post
The people who say tipping should be done away with have never worked in a restaurant before.
Not true. And I'm not suggesting ending tips so that workers end up earning LESS. I don't think that conscientious diners, who tip well, should have to make up for the cheapskates who tip low or nothing.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I don't believe anyone said servers should be paid minimum wage! You are missing my point.

When I go into, let's say, a fine, upscale lamp shop, I expect the salesperson to be somewhat of an expert on the lamps in the store. She gives me guidance, information, suggestions, and I make my purchase.

I do not pay her 20% above the price of the lamp, in exchange for her knowledge and excellent service. She did her job. I hope she is being paid well, but that is between her and her employer.
There's a huge difference between what a server does over the course of a multi-course two hour meal for four people at a table and a suggestion in a shop on a purchase.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
Is tipping really a burden for so many people? Geez, some people have such a backwards mentality. Nobody's forcing you to dine out.
Did you actually read my post??? Did I say anything that could be construed as "tipping is a burden" for me? I think servers like it when I dine out. I'm quite a generous tipper. I have tipped 50% for an awesome experience (though 20-25% is my norm)

But my post was more about who makes "the rules" on which workers gets tips and which ones don't? I have realized in recent months that I may be stiffing some people who expect tips. In this very thread someone mentioned tipping people at the car service center. Who knew???? It just seems like a crazy system to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies