Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,869,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLookout View Post
I would have to say that the only plausible reason is that anti-gun people see "legal gun owners" as deranged killers too, just waiting for a chance.
Must be the press at fault...

The NRA deploys its muscle - delcotimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 03:25 PM

255 posts, read 219,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Must be the press at fault...

The NRA deploys its muscle - delcotimes.com
Regardless of who is at fault for cultivating and spreading the idea, that appears to be the mentality. People ask why do you NEED a clip/magazine that can hold x-number of rounds. We don't NEED them but we CHOOSE to own them. Gun owners are portrayed as being eager for a chance to use their guns in a defensive scenario, as well as mentally unstable. You have fools like Piers Morgan and other media (not press per se) personalities equating keeping a concealed gun about your person JUST IN CASE, to the country regressing back to the Wild West.

Why the hell does having a gun for reasons other than hunting have to be such an issue with the Left?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Regardless of who is at fault for cultivating and spreading the idea, that appears to be the mentality. People ask why do you NEED a clip/magazine that can hold x-number of rounds. We don't NEED them but we CHOOSE to own them. Gun owners are portrayed as being eager for a chance to use their guns in a defensive scenario, as well as mentally unstable. You have fools like Piers Morgan and other media (not press per se) personalities equating keeping a concealed gun about your person JUST IN CASE, to the country regressing back to the Wild West.

Why the hell does having a gun for reasons other than hunting have to be such an issue with the Left?
I don't know about the left, but this centrist frankly does not trust people to be responsible with their gun. I think there are ample reasons to have that opinion.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:33 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,831,436 times
Quote:
I don't know about the left, but this centrist frankly does not trust people to be responsible with their gun. I think there are ample reasons to have that opinion.
Well this libertarian does not trust you to be resposnsible with your car. I think there are ample reasons to have that opinion.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I will immediately acknowledge that too many are irresponsible with their firearms. I have seen compilations on youtube showing people flashing their guns or simply using them in an unsafe manner. On this issue one cannot rule out the need for education and some measure of training. I'm not saying this as a prerequisite for gun ownership, but there needs to be more personal responsibility and accountability.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:43 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,210,988 times
Quote:

you saying that makes me also say that i dont trust you your ability to vote.

also since obama is on the boob tube talking about sensible gun laws, when is the government going to get rid of the 25000 state and federal not sensible gun laws already in effect that the state and federal governments will not enforce.

they must not enforce them because they are not sensible then, until then the feds can go sit on a stick and twirl.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Well this libertarian does not trust you to be resposnsible with your car. I think there are ample reasons to have that opinion.
Considering people driving their cars result in many times more deaths than legal gun owners. But you can't ban cars can you, because few people are afraid of cars. How many deaths are the result of alcohol consumption? But you can't ban that because there are too many that enjoy a drink from time to time. Guns are a far easier target because they're scary and make loud noises.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Here's a thought. What if firearm training courses were offered at a discounted rate with the purchase of a new firearm? Clearly they would still be offered otherwise, though this might provide an incentive for the new owner to learn the do's and don't's.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:55 PM

57,357 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Considering people driving their cars result in many times more deaths than legal gun owners. But you can't ban cars can you, because few people are afraid of cars. How many deaths are the result of alcohol consumption? But you can't ban that because there are too many that enjoy a drink from time to time. Guns are a far easier target because they're scary and make loud noises.

They started police checkpoints to make drivers more cautious about driving under the influence of alcohol, it didn't completely solve the problem but it certainly reduced deaths due to DWI. There was some resistance because of the issue with illegal search aspects but I don't recall anything close to the current furor.

None of the proposed legislation asks for a complete ban on guns.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I agree, however people are taught to drive. Some well, some not so well. They are also required to demonstrate an ability to drive safely, but obviously that is not fool proof either. But, when driving you have the opportunity to avoid many fools that may cause accidents who themselves generally aren't trying to do damage. When a fool has a gun in his hand intent on doing damage to you, the opportunity to avoid harm is a bit lower and sometimes you would have to rely on your wits which may or may not help. There is one big difference between cars and guns, people get behind the wheel of a car to execute transportation and people pick up a gun to execute.

Last edited by florida.bob; 04-03-2013 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies