Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Anyone can get the drop on someone.

It happens. It happened this time.

Hell, presidents have been killed. No one is untouchable.

It always sucks when soldiers survive war only to be murdered at home. But it happens a lot more than it should...
And all too frequently by their own hand. THAT'S the real sad part. What I find real interesting is all the people who're claiming conspiracy or a James Bond type killing. Can't anything be just what it looks like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Who in their right mind, takes a mentally ill person to a shooting range and places a gun in their hand....
This was a recipe for disaster from the get go.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
More than likely an ay-rab sympathizer.

All marines aren't conservatives.

The shooter was a PTSD sufferer that Kyle was trying to help. Why not shovel your BS on another thread, there's a lot to choose from.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
I just read about this yesterday in our newspaper; it's tragic. Apparently Kyle did not see the severity of the PTSD in the extremely disturbed Marine. He acknowledged the risk of his mentoring and continued to do it anyway; he was very dedicated. It doesn't sound as if it were a set up. My heart goes out to Kyle's family.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
'live by the sword die by the sword' .... no biggie to me if murderers get murdered.
You have to explain that one - all his kills were done under the allowable rules of combat engagement in a combat zone, and undoubtedly by taking out the enemy he saved numerous lives of both allied soldiers and innocent Iraqis. Is this your general reflection on the role of snipers...or our military veterans.

By the way Kyle was troubled himself, not by his kills in the least bit (there is an old sniper joke, some bleeding heart reporter asks a sniper "what do you feel when you pull the trigger". The answer: "recoil"), but by the lives he was not able to save - his fellow soldiers, and innocent Iraqi's.

The killer has been in and out of mental hospitals. Kyle was apparantly trying to help him, but I have a feeling his mental condition went beyond PTSD.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is a tragedy when anyone gets murdered, but the NRA talking points are destroyed by this tragedy. Here was a highly trained military soldier who was probably armed or very close to a gun and he couldn't save himself.

All of those good guys at a shooting range with guns didn't stop this tragedy(edited to add, there might not have been anyone else around but those three men because the shooting occurred at a private shooting range). conservatives and gun nuts are liars. All of those guns and all of those good guys with guns(edited to add, there might not have been anyone else around but those three men because the shooting occurred at a private shooting range) didn't prevent nor protect those men from one man with a gun. This is objective reality, but gun nuts and conservatives don't and wont learn.
And cops get killed all the time as well so what's your point?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
I highly doubt there was any conspiracy to kill him. I think Chris Kyle was just in way over his head with this veteran he was trying to help.

He had taken other vets with PTSD hunting and maybe he thought going to a gun range with his friend and the troubled vet would be some sort of bonding experience. Very bad move.

The veteran with PTSD was very disturbed, in and out of trouble with the law, in and out of mental hospitals, his family has been trying to take his guns from him.

Now, even locked up for the killings, he has had to be tasered by jail personnel for attacking them, he's tried to kill himself and is on suicide watch. One very, very sick man.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This situation is the perfect refutation of gun nut and conservative fantasy. A man couldn't be more trained on how to use a gun than Mr. Kyle. He was at a gun range either armed or very close to a gun and he was surrounded by so called good guys with guns and yet he and another man were still murdered.

The whole NRA/gun nut/conservative lie is laid to waste based on reality. They won't and don't learn. Because gun nuts are well nuts. The NRA is just a lobbying group to get more gun nuts in constant fear to buy more guns, and most conservatives are liars who view everything through a political angle of not letting the liberals win.
Why is this a gun control issue, besides the fact that it is in the politics forum. This has nothing to do with firearm self defense more than a hunting accident does. In this case, sure, it was murder...but by a non-threat. You go to a gun range, you shoot down range, you reload. The person next to you does the same. If the person next to you is crazy, he can shoot you at any time regardless of your combat skills, when reloading, when your back is turned, etc. You can't defend against that.

Using this as some sort of evidence that guns are ineffective for personal self defense is beyond silly. It's irrelevant to the topic. But your babbling about "nuts" and "liars" pretty much puts your post in perspective doesn't it?

The question here is that this guy had clinical mental issues way way beyond PTSD -so why did Kyle take him to the gun range in the first place and put a gun in his troubled hands?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, since you seem to have these definitions down pat let me ask you "what do you call a person who kills murdering religious fanatics before they kill innocents like YOU?"
What do you call a person who risks everything so you can go about your daily life with little fear of being blown to bits or having a body part lopped off?
An insurgent is a murdering religious fanatic? I think not. If there was an occupying force in the USA I would be an insurgent.Nobody likes living under occupation and I seriously doubt that anyone he killed was a threat to anyone here in the U.S.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
You really are uninformed about the facts. PTSD causes more suicides and deaths that you obvoiusly know. Here's just a few of many explanations. Suicides and murders among the military due to PTSD is higher than their deaths in combat. I deleted what I really wanted to say about your message.

Shooting of Navy Seal Chris Kyle grimly highlights PTSD - Video on NBCNews.com

And more:

"The symptoms can range from mildly disturbing to wholly incapacitating," said Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, chair of psychiatry at Columbia University Medical Center in New York City and president elect of the American Psychiatric Association, describing the nightmares and flashbacks that can haunt soldiers long after their return to civilian life. "And we're still limited in our understanding of why it occurs, what it consists of, and the best approaches to treatment." One treatment approach involves the slow, steady re-exposure of patients to their PTSD triggers.... Kyle was known to take veterans battling PTSD to the shooting range.

The murder of Chris Kyle: A watershed moment for military PTSD? - The Week

I hope you will call and donate money to Kyle's family. There's a lot of websites set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
PTSD won't make you shoot a friendly. If anything, it's another shoulder to cry on. That's a bull**** excuse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies