Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 08:56 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
(and yes, it's also very cool how the couple honored their other order... seems they have more integrity than Mr. Bigot, huh?)
Definitely the impression I get.

The Bigot Baker was on the local news out of Portland again tonight. The couple, however, are quietly going on about their business, planning a wedding, and not soliciting camera time at every opportunity.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't know the details that specifically, I just know the laws only apply to public accommodations. So basically if you operate from a public storefront, as opposed to a home or private club, you are subject to state anti-discrimination laws. These laws differ from state to state, but in Oregon (where this story occurred) they do include sexual orientation as a protected class.
The artist who owns a shop and does portraits is no different then a specialty baker, creating unique to the couple ornamental wedding cakes. The gov cannot force what would be unique artistic moments, because if they do....they are interfering with the inspirational freedom of the artist. So the only way to get this law recognized and enforced without issue is to clearly show the unique to the couple cake is not a special artistically created unique ornament, otherwise the artist who does portraits has no recourse in my mentioned example. So this idea with forcing the Baker doesn't look like its going to fly.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
If the bakers were Jewish and the people ordering the cake were neo nazi skinheads that wanted a cake for Hitler's birthday that had a big swatstika on it would you fell the same way? Would the bakers still be wrong if they did not want to server this particular customer?
"Neo nazi skinheads that wanted a cake for Hitler's birthday that had a big swatstika on it" would be promoting and celebrating hate and bogotry. I don't think that it is a good analogy and an accurate comparison to a gay couple planning their wedding. Try again.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,653,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Of course he has the right to his views.

What he doesn't have is the right to discriminate against people based on religion or sexual orientation.

Off hand, if it was an african american Baker, and a KKK wedding was going on, and they wanted the cake to be a male and female in KKK garb with a burning cross on it.

The African American Baker, would be forced to serve these people?

Owner of a business has the right to refuse business. People have the right to believe what they believe.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
"Neo nazi skinheads that wanted a cake for Hitler's birthday that had a big swatstika on it" would be promoting and celebrating hate and bogotry. I don't think that it is a good analogy and an accurate comparison to a gay couple planning their wedding. Try again.

Unfortuneately some people's religous views differ from yours, and gay marriage is highly offensive to them.

Despite how much you wish to force your views on them, they have a right to believe what they want.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Off hand, if it was an african american Baker, and a KKK wedding was going on, and they wanted the cake to be a male and female in KKK garb with a burning cross on it.

The African American Baker, would be forced to serve these people?

Owner of a business has the right to refuse business. People have the right to believe what they believe.
No. He wouldn't.

The KKK are not a protected class. Please look up the definition of protected class. This has already been dealt with many times in this thread.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,950 times
Quote:
The KKK garb and burning cross is offensive to just about everyone, as is the swastika mentioned in the earlier posts.

I missed the part where the gay couple's wedding cake was decorated with offensive symbols, images or wording. Can you tell us what was offensive about it? Only then will your analogy make sense.

Or is it the people who will be eating it whats bothering you?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
The KKK garb and burning cross is offensive to just about everyone, as is the swastika mentioned in the earlier posts.

I missed the part where the gay couple's wedding cake was decorated with offensive symbols, images or wording. Can you tell us what was offensive about it? Only then will your analogy make sense.

Or is it the people who will be eating it whats bothering you?
You guys fail to realize things normal to you, can be highly offensive to others.

Like pork. What if the baker was traditional Muslim, and the people wanted pork in their cake? It is offensive to him.

What if the baker was Indian, and the couple wanted a dead cow on the cake.

What if the baker was Christian, and the customers were pagan and wanted an upside down Christ on their cake.

YOU may not care, but it is offensive to the guy. He has the right to turn down business.

THIS MAY BE the problem these days. People have no respect for other's views. I think its even funnier people still get upset others don't think the same way as them on recently controversial topics. Like abortion/gay marriage.

Even if I was gay, I could logically understand, yes there are people out there that have a different take on the world as me. I respect they have the right to think differently then me.

Then go find a gay baker with artistic flare, make a great cake, give him my $1k for a cake and refer him to all my friends and go about my way.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,950 times
Quote:
You guys fail to realize things normal to you, can be highly offensive to others.

Like pork. What if the baker was traditional Muslim, and the people wanted pork in their cake? It is offensive to him.

What if the baker was Indian, and the couple wanted a dead cow on the cake.

What if the baker was Christian, and the customers were pagan and wanted an upside down Christ on their cake.
When I asked, can you tell us what was offensive about their cake?, I was really asking for specifics. You know, like suggestive, offensive, or adult-themed images or graphics. Like a dead cow or swastika.

Can you?

It only became offensive to the baker when the second woman came in and he realized they were lesbians.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:42 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Oh, crap.

I just listened to an interview with the Bigot Bakers, and the reporter asked them if they would sell a cupcake to a gay person and the wife said, "Oh, gosh. Yes. We've had plenty of 'that' come in and we always sell to them."

WTF? "That?"

I may have not gotten the quote exactly right but what I did get right is that she referred to the hypothetical gay person in the reporter's question as "that."

There was a protest outside the Bigot Bakery yesterday but business was booming; some people were even coming into the bakery and just giving them money. Who knew that hate, bigotry, and intolerance could be so profitable?

Last edited by Cinebar; 02-10-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies