Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:29 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Dems pushing for nurse practitioners instead of doctors providing some care in California. Says too many new patients not enough doctors as a result of Obamacare. DUH!

"As the state moves to expand healthcare coverage to millions of Californians under President Obama's healthcare law, it faces a major obstacle: There aren't enough doctors to treat a crush of newly insured patients. Doctors say giving non-physicians more authority and autonomy could jeopardize patient safety. It could also drive up costs, because those workers, who have less medical education and training, tend to order more tests and prescribe more antibiotics, they said...About 350 laws altering what health professionals may do have been enacted nationwide in the last two years, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Since Jan. 1, more than 50 additional proposals have been launched in 24 states."

State lacks doctors to meet demand of national healthcare law - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
"We have to pass it before you know what's in it"

...Sigh.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
It's not a downside if more people get more care.

If you read the article, it's evident that it's the doctors in California that oppose allowing other health professionals to hone in their territory. There was a study done that showed that nurse practitioners can deliver about 80 % of the care that a family practitioner does. So I think it's a great idea to allow nurse practitioners to deliver this care and leave the more difficult cases for the doctors. It lowers health care costs and is a win for everyone (except the greedy doctors).

Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

If you read the article, it's evident that it's the doctors in California that oppose allowing other health professionals to hone in their territory. There was a study done that showed that nurse practitioners can deliver about 80 % of the care that a family practitioner does. So I think it's a great idea to allow nurse practitioners to deliver this care and leave the more difficult cases for the doctors. It lowers health care costs and is a win for everyone (except the greedy doctors).
I too don't think it's a catastrophe that more people will have access to health care that used to get denied because they lacked insurance.

The AMA likes to limit the number of seats at medical schools in order to increase the earning power of doctors. There is nothing wrong with increasing the number of acceptances at medical schools to fill the demand for more doctors. When I was in college medical schools were rejecting applicants with 3.9 GPAs, who I would think would have made excellent doctors.

As one who believes in capitalism, the market will fix the disconnect between supply of doctors and demand for medical services.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:

I don't think some people realize, for numerous issues, that seeing a Nurse Practitioner is no less care than seeing a Doctor. It could be that many Doctors don't want people to realize this.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:

guess it doesnt lower health care cost for everyone. you did hear that the IRS said it would cost a family of 4 $20,000 for a health care plan that they would approve...........right?

I hope all the liberals that supported this bill have to start shelling out that 20k each and every month.

ole we have to pass it in order to see what is in it.

jeeze, if they did that all the time, we would not have any reason at all for the need of politicians. we would just pass all the bills and read them after the fact.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Seeing a nurse should be cheaper than seeing a doctor.
Do you think charges for office visits and consultation will be lowered if a nurse sees you and not a doctor ?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I too don't think it's a catastrophe that more people will have access to health care that used to get denied because they lacked insurance.

The AMA likes to limit the number of seats at medical schools in order to increase the earning power of doctors. There is nothing wrong with increasing the number of acceptances at medical schools to fill the demand for more doctors. When I was in college medical schools were rejecting applicants with 3.9 GPAs, who I would think would have made excellent doctors.

As one who believes in capitalism, the market will fix the disconnect between supply of doctors and demand for medical services.

1. The AMA does not determine medical school and residency slots! It is a left leaning political organization. Only 20% of physicians belong to the AMA. Congress determines the number of medial school and residency slots by funding. If you want more doctors, lobby congress.

2. I was on the admissions committee at my med school for two years. Then the system was this-
a. applicants were scored on thier first six semesters of undergrad, relative to other applicants. A perfect score was 60.
b. applicants were scored on thier MCAT scores relative to other applicants (a "perfect" score was a 60). At that time, there were six individual scores and an average score. A "perfect" MCAT back then was a 15, however, you were 90th percentile if you scored an 11. Apparently the MCAT is very different now, as there is a written componant and I hear pre-meds talking about getting a "36", ect........ I don't know how many componants there are today, nor what would constitute a "perfect" score.

scores 100-120 ............ absolute accept unless interview blown
80-100........................ "think about it" and look at core science GPA, publications, ect.....
below 80......................absolute reject.

So "your friend" with a 3.90 GPA must have completely blown his/her MCATs or had some psychological problems that precluded admission.

3. "The market" cannot fix the supply of physicians, as those slots are determined by the degree of federal and state funding. You can't just "create" more slots or "build" another med school. Will NPs and PAs assume a greater role? Yes- very few physicians I know are going to take any Obamacare patients, as they are medicaid patients, who tend to be very difficult and have the lowest reimbursement.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 AM

556 posts, read 622,869 times
What will be the effect on Nurse Practitioners when they get sued for malpractice? Seems to me that there will be either Tort reform or less Nurse Practitioners. Oh, let me see, the politicians are mostly lawyers (even bigger lobby than dotors), nurses lose tough luck!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:19 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:

You and your insurance company should pay for what you get. Half price for practitioners? I also think you should pay half tuition if graduate students are going to teach your college classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies