Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Just the truth...I know people like you hate the truth..to you and millions of others King was a great man blahblahblah...lord forbid the truth gets told about the communist womanizer.
I feel sorry for poor little ARYANa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post

I'm almost 20 years out of college, and I am taking college courses now (further education). The school didn't ask to look at my SAT scores that I took at 18.
That's a bit different than an 18 year old trying to get into college for the first time.

And home schoolers seem to be proving they can do it without public K-12.
Taking the SAT and getting into college is just part and parcel of K-12 education.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Good thing you live in North Carolina....and I assume you are finally out of grade school.
Yes indeed, he will be in 10th grade....... with you

Given the state of public schools, many people think twice about sending their kids to those places these days. I don't blame them at all

Old 02-11-2013, 07:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's a bit different than an 18 year old trying to get into college for the first time.
I don't think it matters one bit. 18 or 48, if anyone of them can get into a college without the SAT's, I ask again, who is limited?

What if that 18 year old starts work out of high school and doesn't bother to go to college till he/she is 30? Most schools don't look at 12 year old high school records.

Quote:
And home schoolers seem to be proving they can do it without public K-12.
and I knew some home schoolers who entered college to be unprepared and socially awkward. There were 10 home schoolers who were in my English 101 class (with about 70 other students). 7 of them dropped out before the 1st quarter test was issued.

Quote:
Taking the SAT and getting into college is just part and parcel of K-12 education.
And that is a view that is changing each year. As more colleges rely on academics, school work, in person interviews, and extra curricular activities, the SAT's like many other tests are going the way of the do-do.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Yes indeed, he will be in 10th grade....... with you

Given the state of public schools, many people think twice about sending their kids to those places these days. I don't blame them at all
Yeah, nothing better than raising a kid at home where it is much easier to indoctrinate them into a religious brainwash.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
I don't think it matters one bit. 18 or 48, if anyone of them can get into a college without the SAT's, I ask again, who is limited?

What if that 18 year old starts work out of high school and doesn't bother to go to college till he/she is 30? Most schools don't look at 12 year old high school records.

and I knew some home schoolers who entered college to be unprepared and socially awkward. There were 10 home schoolers who were in my English 101 class (with about 70 other students). 7 of them dropped out before the 1st quarter test was issued.

And that is a view that is changing each year. As more colleges rely on academics, school work, in person interviews, and extra curricular activities, the SAT's like many other tests are going the way of the do-do.
Nice anecdotal evidence since you obviously have an agenda. I would say that the average home schooled kid is probably much better off from what I have seen

As far as getting into college...... just go when you are ready, take a year at community college and you can go as far as you want. Far too many kids get stressed thinking they have to go right away to college

Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah, nothing better than raising a kid at home where it is much easier to indoctrinate them into a religious brainwash.
Yeah, thats what your mindless media tells you is the reason people home school

Many would like to keep their kids away from all the crap that goes on in school lately.... keep their kids away from other kids like you

Such hatred toward people who don't think just like you..... nice work there sparky showing how tolerant Libbies are

Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Nice anecdotal evidence since you obviously have an agenda.
What agenday would that be? Saying that SAT's are not needed? I've known that for 20 years.

Quote:
I would say that the average home schooled kid is probably much better off from what I have seen
I've seen the opposite. There's always the extreme of two ends. Many home schoolers are just average. But they do tend to be more socially awkward than those who attend a school setting.

Which is why I believe that if you home school, that your child must attend a school (public, private or charter, your choice) for the last 2 or 3 years of his/her school life to develop the social behavior that is severely lacking in many home schoolers. Its not about getting academically ahead. Its about developing the social relationships that most home schoolers do not get in their situation.

Quote:
As far as getting into college...... just go when you are ready, take a year at community college and you can go as far as you want. Far too many kids get stressed thinking they have to go right away to college
I agree. If society would stop pushing everyone, YOU MUSt GOT TO COLLEGE! YOU MUST EARN A DEGREE IN 4 years! You must have a good job by age 30!! I think we wouldn't be seeing so many stressed out students in college.

I attended community college for 2 years, so that I could avoid paying three times as much at the university level for the same classes and bigger class sizes. When I moved to the university level, I was much more prepared and confident. which is why I felt sorry for the home schoolers in my English class who dropped out due to the pressure. When you are asked to read three books a week and have an essay test on those books every Friday, it can burn you out.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times
I find it funny how much some neo-cons like Mike Huckabee push home schooling as if it's a realistic option for most people in 2013 America.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gee, the group he wants to eliminate has a 98% college attendance rate.
First of all no one wants to eliminate home schooling just have a check to make sure education is actually occurring with real test scores to back it up. Second of all, no, HC kids do not have a 98% college attendance rate (66% vs 58%) but bare in mind that most home schooled kids end up going to non-accredited private religious schools whose educational value is highly dubious (which is why so many religious "schools" are unable to get proper accreditation; when you refuse to teach modern biology or claim the Bible is all you need for every subject then you aren't educating anyone). BTW when you control for social0-economic factors (such as race and social class) home schooled kids do WORSE than public school kids. That's been proven over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies