Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
New Bill Seeks to Severely Restrict Homeschooling in South Carolina :

Gotta make sure the state is the only one educating students...can't have them learning facts and logic and not propaganda.
10th amendment, their state , their rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
LOL, did you even read your own article? It shows homeschoolers winning in every academic category, and it had no problem comparing the the different groups.

From your article:
  1. Homeschool students earned a higher ACT score (26.5) versus 25.0 for other incoming freshmen.
  2. Homeschool students earned more college credits (14.7) prior to their freshmen year than other students (6.0).
  3. Homeschool freshmen earned a higher grade points average (3.37) their first semester in college compared with the other freshmen (3.08).
  4. Homeschool students finished their freshmen year with a better GPA (3.41) than the rest of their class (3.12).
  5. Homeschool students graduated from college at a higher rate (66.7%) than their peers (57.5%).
First of all, this is the only "study" on homeschool performance NOT done by a homeschool organization.

It was then published in an educational journal, reported by CBS, and carried around and throughout without once taking time to inquire as to the details of the actual study.

Here's what it says about the "study" that was done and by whom:

The research, which was conducted by Michael Cogan, the director of institutional research and analysis at the University of St. Thomas, focused on the experiences of homeschooled students at an unnamed medium-sized university in the upper Midwest. Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College? - CBS News

This tells me the following:

(1) We know that this was done at only 1 university, and given the limitations of one university, he opted to leave it unnamed to boot. This right away is a problem for myriad reasons, not the least of which is that it might be a religious university, with a positive slant toward homeschooling for religious reasons.

(2) Even if that were not a problem, we don't know how many students were sampled. We know only 1 university was used. How many homeschool students were interviewed there? 5 students? 3 students? It is a known fact that the number of homeschoolers at universities can usually be counted on the fingers of one hand. For example, in any given year, there will be 1, 2 or 3 homeschoolers at Harvard. No more. Same with others. Homeschoolers are almost non-existent at universities and I'll get to the reason why below.

(3) Since this "study" was based on the experiences of the homeschoolers and not on factual data (transcripts requested from the unnamed university, interviews with the professors, interviews from other students), this is a purely subjective interview of the 1 - 5 students reviewed by this Michael Cogan.

(4) If a questionnaire was used (which is what must've been used, given that the study was based on experiences alone), I'd like to see the sort of questions asked.

Therefore, this study was done on a tiny, tiny sample, and reported as a conclusively accurate reflection of homeschoolers in college.

The reason there are almost no homeschoolers at universities is that homeschoolers have a hell of a time getting into college. To begin with, unlike public and private school kids, they have no class grades to speak of. Their mothers assign the grades. Therefore, a GPA means absolutely nothing, and universities are very reluctant to accept a student with a GPA provided by his mother. Second, while it might be true that there could be reliance upon the SAT as the sole deciding factor in acceptance into colleges, the SAT alone is not a proper measure of performance.

Also, college admissions boards are reluctant to accept students that have been so sheltered from normal social exchanges throughout their educational years. It's one thing to spend hours each day at a school, interacting with teachers and students while engaging in countless activities from study to sports, art, etc., and quite another to be driven by mom to a social activity for homeschoolers, so the child will have some human interaction with someone who is not his mom. Homeschoolers aren't given room to develop socially, and grow to rely excessively on their moms.

My boss ended up (in a college rooming assignment) living with a homeschooler. He was shy and withdrawn at the dorm, at the university, and everywhere. Maybe he was unused to dealing with people, maybe he felt weird that his mom and dad weren't there - dunno. Long story short - he ended up befriended by a little group of outcasts, and soon had dropped out of college.

I have lots more to say on the homeschooling topic, but that will wait.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM

172 posts, read 151,895 times
Best thing they could do. Ive ran into a few.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Nope, but given the current pathetic state of "public schools", homeschooling or a non religious private school are looking like better options for my son. Public schools are a joke.
I am always amazed when people make blanket statements like these. It shows a clear lack of critical thinking and a serious deficit in research skills.

There are lots of excellent public schools in this country. I can only conclude that if there aren't any where you are, your area doesn't value education as it should. (How's that for a poorly drawn conclusion?)

Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
I can't read your post due to the formatting problems. If you have an issue with urban's link, take it up with him or CBS. I just pulled the data out from his linked article because he was dissing homeschoolers whole posting a link showing they were doing better than their counterparts.

I live in one of the best school school districts in the country. 5 of the 8 high schools in my disctrict regularly make the best high schools list. My children go to excellent public schools.

My sister homeschools her children, and her oldest (homeschooled K-12) is a National Merit Scholar wit so many scholarships to college he is actually getting paid. My sister has a Masters in Counseling with a Bachelors degree in Social Work, so she does not have a teaching degree, but she has turned out children who are better educated than 99% of public school kids (based on PSAT scores.)

Most of the people posting terrible things about homeschoolers in this thread are using personal stories. The study posted by urban was not based on ancedotes and holds more weight than the unverifible stories. But in the spirit of the thread, I added my personal story above.

I'm confident there are some terrible homeschoolers. But I'm equally confident there are a lot more terrible public schools. And bad public schools are failing a lot more chidren than bad homeschools.

No one school choice is right for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
First of all, this is the only "study" on homeschool performance NOT done by a homeschool organization.

It was then published in an educational journal, reported by CBS, and carried around and throughout without once taking time to inquire as to the details of the actual study.

[LEFT]The research, which was conducted by [/LEFT]Michael Cogan[LEFT], the director of institutional research and analysis at the University of St. Thomas, focused on the experiences of homeschooled students at an unnamed medium-sized university in the upper Midwest.
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
(1) We know that this was done at only 1 university, and given the limitations of one university, he opted to leave it unnamed to boot. This right away is a problem for myriad reasons, not the least of which is that it might be a religious university, with a positive slant toward homeschooling for religious reasons.
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
(2) Even if that were not a problem, we don't know how many students were sampled. We know only 1 university was used. How many homeschool students were interviewed there? 5 students? 3 students? It is a known fact that the number of homeschoolers at universities can usually be counted on the fingers of one hand. For example, in any given year, there will be 1, 2 or 3 homeschoolers at Harvard. No more. Same with others. Homeschoolers are almost non-existent at universities and I'll get to the reason why below.

(3) Since this "study" was based on the experiences of the homeschoolers and not on factual data (transcripts requested from the unnamed university, interviews with the professors, interviews from other students), this is a purely subjective interview of the 1 - 5 students reviewed by this Michael Cogan.
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
(4) If a questionnaire was used (which is what must've been used, given that the study was based on experiences alone), I'd like to see the sort of questions asked.
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Therefore, this study was done on a tiny, tiny sample, and reported as a conclusively accurate reflection of homeschoolers in college.
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]The reason there are almost no homeschoolers at universities is that homeschoolers have a hell of a time getting into college. To begin with, unlike public and private school kids, they have no class grades to speak of. Their mothers assign the grades. Therefore, a GPA means absolutely nothing, and universities are very reluctant to accept a student with a GPA provided by his mother. Second, while it might be true that there could be reliance upon the SAT as the sole deciding factor in acceptance into colleges, the SAT alone is not a proper measure of performance.
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Also, college admissions boards are reluctant to accept students that have been so sheltered from normal social exchanges throughout their educational years. It's one thing to spend hours each day at a school, interacting with teachers and students while engaging in countless activities from study to sports, art, etc., and quite another to be driven by mom to a social activity for homeschoolers, so the child will have some human interaction with someone who is not his mom. Homeschoolers aren't given room to develop socially, and grow to rely excessively on their moms.
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]My boss ended up (in a college rooming assignment) living with a homeschooler. He was shy and withdrawn at the dorm, at the university, and everywhere. Maybe he was unused to dealing with people, maybe he felt weird that his mom and dad weren't there - dunno. Long story short - he ended up befriended by a little group of outcasts, and soon had dropped out of college.
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]I have lots more to say on the homeschooling topic, but that will wait. [/LEFT]

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1 View Post
Best thing they could do. Ive ran into a few.
Were they as bad at past participle verb usage as you are?

Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Every kid that goes to a public school counts for Federal $$$$
Every kid that does not go to a public school is that much less money.

Both charter schools and home schooling are getting beaten up by governments and the press.

If you take the Federal dollars out of the picture I'd wager there would be no issue at all.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM

172 posts, read 151,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Were they as bad at past participle verb usage as you are?
I will ask them after I give them there next evaluation

Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Thanks for fixing the formatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
So you confirm that this study was done by an independent group, thanks.

Published in an educational journal, check.

The research, which was conducted by Michael Cogan, the director of institutional research and analysis at the University of St. Thomas, focused on the experiences of homeschooled students at an unnamed medium-sized university in the upper Midwest. Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College? - CBS News

(1) We know that this was done at only 1 university, and given the limitations of one university, he opted to leave it unnamed to boot. This right away is a problem for myriad reasons, not the least of which is that it might be a religious university, with a positive slant toward homeschooling for religious reasons. Why speculate it was religious? There is no indication that it was.

You're wrong, Harvard says it accepts 3-8 homeschoolers a year. Still a small population, but why are you just making up numbers?

The article contains all sorts of factual data, GPAs, graduation rates, etc.

Therefore, this study was done on a tiny, tiny sample, and reported as a conclusively accurate reflection of homeschoolers in college.

The reason there are almost no homeschoolers at universities is that homeschoolers have a hell of a time getting into college. To begin with, unlike public and private school kids, they have no class grades to speak of. Their mothers assign the grades. Therefore, a GPA means absolutely nothing, and universities are very reluctant to accept a student with a GPA provided by his mother. Second, while it might be true that there could be reliance upon the SAT as the sole deciding factor in acceptance into colleges, the SAT alone is not a proper measure of performance.
My kids do chess tournaments and spelling bees, there are tons of homeschoolers at those events. There are way more homeschoolers and private school kids at those events than public school kids. My kids are in public schools, so we are always looking for other public school kids.

Also, college admissions boards are reluctant to accept students that have been so sheltered from normal social exchanges throughout their educational years. It's one thing to spend hours each day at a school, interacting with teachers and students while engaging in countless activities from study to sports, art, etc., and quite another to be driven by mom to a social activity for homeschoolers, so the child will have some human interaction with someone who is not his mom. Homeschoolers aren't given room to develop socially, and grow to rely excessively on their moms.
Socializing can only be learned walking silently in lines and sitting in cafeterias where the lights get turned off if anyone talks too loud? My kids go to public school and my sister's homeschool. They are all very social. I've met plenty of socially awkard public school kids and plenty of outgoing homeschool kids. There is no one right answer for everyone.

My boss ended up (in a college rooming assignment) living with a homeschooler. He was shy and withdrawn at the dorm, at the university, and everywhere. Maybe he was unused to dealing with people, maybe he felt weird that his mom and dad weren't there - dunno. Long story short - he ended up befriended by a little group of outcasts, and soon had dropped out of college.
See above.

I have lots more to say on the homeschooling topic, but that will wait.
Answers in red.
People who bash all homeschooling are as bad as people who bash all public schools.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1 View Post
I will ask them after I give them there next evaluation
While you're at it check for proper homonym use as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies