Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I would be okay with no minimum wage if we also had a free market in housing and real estate.

Conservatives are unwilling to allow the latter, and I maintain that a minimum wage is an unfortunate but necessary price of an unfree housing market.

If an employer is free to pay say $2 per hour, a landlord or developer should also be free to provide housing affordable to the worker earning $2 per hour.

I'd love to hear objections that do not entail class warfare.
it's not the conservatives that vote for big government.

conservatives are usually closer to libertarian, which means that they want LESS regulation in housing.

they sure as heck don't want this ridiculous money printing-which brings inflation, which is making the poor struggle even more than they did before. look to the liberals for the money printing/middle class destruction sector.

who do you think is PUSHING inflation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,161 times
Of course a big business exec.would support this, it would hurt smaller business rivals.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
I had a job delivering pizzas where I was paid 20 cents above minimum wage. When the minimum wage eas increased, my new wage was trhe new minimum.

Nothing says employers HAVE to raise wages of employees earning more than minimum wage.
Three sentences, and you directly - and obviously - proved yourself wrong. That's freaking HYSTERICAL.

Keep 'em coming. I just love free entertainment.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
1) This was in a college town, huge surplus of labor.

2) Minimum lot size requirements. I rented a cottage once and tried to buy it when the owners moved but the lot could not be legally split so my only options were to buy two houses (unaffordable) or none.
Note that this is NOT the usual 'health and safety' issue commonly raised, as the cottage was legal as a stand-alone rental but not as a stand-alone sale or purchase.
Then why didn't you move to a town with a better job market? Why didn't you study new skills to make yourself more attractive to employers?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Even several right-wing economists have been forced to acknowledge that there is no evidence that raising the minimum wage raises unemployment rates. It's just yet another article of faith on the right, kind of like how cutting marginal rates on the wealthy increases economic growth.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times
He is a stupid commentator on a channel nobody watches

Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it's not the conservatives that vote for big government.

conservatives are usually closer to libertarian, which means that they want LESS regulation in housing.

they sure as heck don't want this ridiculous money printing-which brings inflation, which is making the poor struggle even more than they did before. look to the liberals for the money printing/middle class destruction sector.

who do you think is PUSHING inflation?
Why did conservatives get all paranoid about 9/11 and let the Patriot Act and the TSA to be formed with no contest?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
1) This was in a college town, huge surplus of labor.

2) Minimum lot size requirements. I rented a cottage once and tried to buy it when the owners moved but the lot could not be legally split so my only options were to buy two houses (unaffordable) or none.
Note that this is NOT the usual 'health and safety' issue commonly raised, as the cottage was legal as a stand-alone rental but not as a stand-alone sale or purchase.
Turn it into a multi-unit home, or a single family home with shared walls. Utilizing townhouses and condos are how you should address that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies