Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
So when students are proud of their country & shout USA, they get in trouble? I never thought I see the day.
I do believe you have a problem with the term "context".

Example: Chanting USA at the Penn Relays. OK. Because we are racing against mostly Jamaica. And, of course, they are yelling Ja mai ca! as well.

Example: Chanting USA at a basketball game between two American high schools. Why? That is, at best, some stupidly random sh*t. Most likely? They are doing because the other school may be more heavily hispanic than the other one and are trying to imply that they aren't American like them. I dunno. Most schools would just cheer their schools. That makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post

Example: Chanting USA at the Penn Relays. OK. Because we are racing against mostly Jamaica. And, of course, they are yelling Ja mai ca! as well.

Example: Chanting USA at a basketball game between two American high schools. Why? That is, at best, some stupidly random sh*t. Most likely? They are doing because the other school may be more heavily hispanic than the other one and are trying to imply that they aren't American like them. I dunno. Most schools would just cheer their schools. That makes sense.
Seems like you would be Okay with this U.S. Olympic athlete waves Mexican flag

Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,593 times
Quote:

Example: Chanting USA at a basketball game between two American high schools. Why? .
Why not? It's showing freedom of expression for loving your country no matter what the circumstances are. There is nothing wrong with showing patriotism for your country in any venue in America. To muffle that patriotism is un-American and going against the 1st Amendment. Millions of Americans have fought and died for these kids to show their expression like they did at the basketball game. The administrator should be fired for suppressing patriotism and love for America.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:

Thanks for making sense. It's really not that hard, for those of us with common sense anyway.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Good...no sympathy for them.
The names of two of the offenders linked in the article....

Austin Medeiros
Stefan Valenzuela

I would also note that in that part of the country, it's not rare at all to see people flying the Mexican flag along with other south and central american countries. Generally from posts on their cars etc etc.

So, I'm kinda torn on the topic where you have A LOT of latinos that still self-identify with their home countries or parents home countries and so I would suspect others would show pride in self-identifying with the USA.

In short, I think people here are confusing racism with nationalism and probably figured the offenders were blonde blued eyed guys named Chet Bigglesworth like in every single cliched show about highschool or college.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Be sensible. They were not playing an international team, therefore it was stupid and ignorant.
Stupid and ignorant are not racist.... no illegal.

BTW, most kids are stupid and ignorant.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:

Last time I checked being Hispanic does not deprive one from chanting "USA..."

Kids say stupid things all the time. That doesn't make it racist.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Patriotism now = Racism in Obamerica.

Students Told USA Chant Has Racial Overtones
Of course. They should have shouted Obama Nation. That is the real truth.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The names of two of the offenders linked in the article....

Austin Medeiros
Stefan Valenzuela

I would also note that in that part of the country, it's not rare at all to see people flying the Mexican flag along with other south and central american countries. Generally from posts on their cars etc etc.

So, I'm kinda torn on the topic where you have A LOT of latinos that still self-identify with their home countries or parents home countries and so I would suspect others would show pride in self-identifying with the USA.

In short, I think people here are confusing racism with nationalism and probably figured the offenders were blonde blued eyed guys named Chet Bigglesworth like in every single cliched show about highschool or college.
Who cares about their names. The children lack behavior and should have been suspended. Beyond that, it's absolutely fine for people to fly the flags of their heritage. Just like it's not rare to see the confederate flag flying in front of homes, vehicle etc. That has nothing to do with a game of sports between American high schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Stupid and ignorant are not racist.... no illegal.

BTW, most kids are stupid and ignorant.
Like I said, stupid and ignorant...and deserving of suspension. If most kids are stupid and ignorant, they need to learn some behavior. My parents would have been looking at me as though I lost my mind and was shaming the family.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,771 times
Kind of hard to classify it as racist when the "offenders" include hispanics, too.

It sounds like they were taunting the other team, though. I suppose it is possible that these guys were just happy to be American and felt like letting that out rather than cheering on their team. Perhaps they should have invited the other team's fans to join them, seeing how they recognized them as being equally American and all.

Seriously, the implication appears to be that the other team was somehow less American. Maybe they were. Just score more points than they do and leave the rest alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies