Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I can buy a gun, with a background check from a dealer. I can then step out to my car drive to Walmart, and sale it to the first guy who walks out. No background check for him. Hence, the problem. All sales, even person to person, should have a background check mandatory.
Ok. Once again, I don't have issue with background checks, though I see a huge potential for abuse of a system such as you propose. The current one has been so abused, but fortunately, it was not allowed to get out of control.

There still lies the question in encorcement, as it relates to private sales. It rather gives me a case of hives, trying to wrap my head around the logistics. I have this nightmare vision of registration schemes. I would not put it past the politicians to come up with a tidal wave of taxes and fees, tantamount to every firearms owner, in so many terms, to have the equivilent of an FFL, "to cover possible sale of a firearm". Or some such nonsense.

(sigh) .....I really don't mind assuring, as much as possible, that sales to tbose who should not have firearms, be prevented. However, I take issue with trusting the government to come up with a system tbat is fair, and will not be twisted into a new tax ma hine. Designed to financially punish firearms owners. Can you see my apprehension here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 07:08 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,819 times
The problem with guns is they are often smarter than the person that is holding them.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ok. Once again, I don't have issue with background checks, though I see a huge potential for abuse of a system such as you propose. The current one has been so abused, but fortunately, it was not allowed to get out of control.

There still lies the question in encorcement, as it relates to private sales. It rather gives me a case of hives, trying to wrap my head around the logistics. I have this nightmare vision of registration schemes. I would not put it past the politicians to come up with a tidal wave of taxes and fees, tantamount to every firearms owner, in so many terms, to have the equivilent of an FFL, "to cover possible sale of a firearm". Or some such nonsense.

(sigh) .....I really don't mind assuring, as much as possible, that sales to tbose who should not have firearms, be prevented. However, I take issue with trusting the government to come up with a system tbat is fair, and will not be twisted into a new tax ma hine. Designed to financially punish firearms owners. Can you see my apprehension here?
Enforcement is, you're pulled over, police find a gun in the car, yet the aerial number doesn't match anything you've legally bought? How did you get it? Was it stolen? Who sold it to you? Who was the last person known to have owned it?

Enforcement.

We also track who legally buys explosives, and we don't confiscate them, because as ling as you keep them safe and you legally purchased them, those are yours.

We have laws to prevent confiscation, mainly the second amendment.

My post was aimed at the person who asked what kind of sale wasn't background checked.

You sale a gun to someone who uses it in a crime, and you didn't have that background check done, you're both liable for the crime.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Background check will not remove the threat. Criminals don't care about laws, hence the term criminals.

What these registrations will do is create the lists of owners to be disarmed when it comes time for such things.

Better to have a list, than having to search every home...

...and we all know the government never abuses its power.

Here's a gift for anyone who cares about the truth
http://www.nationalcenter.org/ShatteredDreams07.pdf

Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Background check will not remove the threat. Criminals don't care about laws, hence the term criminals.

What these registrations will do is create the lists of owners to be disarmed when it comes time for such things.

Better to have a list, than having to search every home...

...and we all know the government never abuses its power.
It makes it easier to find the criminals with guns, and limits their access.

And you can't be seriously thinking you're going to war with the government. That's so silly of an argument, and its what you always boil down to.

A government not representative of a majority of the governed will not long stand. 90% of people in this country feel a universal background check system should be in place.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,581 times
Quote:
It makes it easier to find the criminals with guns, and limits their access.

And you can't be seriously thinking you're going to war with the government. That's so silly of an argument, and its what you always boil down to.

A government not representative of a majority of the governed will not long stand. 90% of people in this country feel a universal background check system should be in place.
Not sure where you are getting the 90% but most people I talk to want no part in the universal background check.

We already have enough gun control laws. We need to address the criminal element of the problem, not take away rights from law abiding citizens.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 PM

554 posts, read 608,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Just admit it, you use the terms, "sensible gun regulation" "Gun safety" bla bla bla but you just want to make it like England where its near impossible for a citizen to own a gun. ...

I know as well as the sun will rise in the east in the morning that you will not stop till its illegal to own a gun in these United States. I would have a little respect for you if you just admit it, not much but a little.
Yeah, I'll admit it. I feel much safer in England, and France, than I do in the USA. It wouldn't bother me one bit if guns were outlawed.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Yeah, I'll admit it. I feel much safer in England, and France, than I do in the USA. It wouldn't bother me one bit if guns were outlawed.

I think London and Paris are beckoning to you. Have a nice trip.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,098,105 times
Quote:
Enforcement is, you're pulled over, police find a gun in the car, yet the aerial number doesn't match anything you've legally bought? How did you get it? Was it stolen? Who sold it to you? Who was the last person known to have owned it?

Enforcement.

We also track who legally buys explosives, and we don't confiscate them, because as ling as you keep them safe and you legally purchased them, those are yours.

We have laws to prevent confiscation, mainly the second amendment.

My post was aimed at the person who asked what kind of sale wasn't background checked.

You sale a gun to someone who uses it in a crime, and you didn't have that background check done, you're both liable for the crime.
I bought it in a legal private sale...

And thats that... We cant afford the out of control police state we have now and you "liberal" bootlickers just keep begging for more...

In Missouri they are getting real nutty, they have a bill calling for outright confiscation...

THAT is the goal, every time they pass something they call it "a good first step"...

So my response is NO not one more "reasonable" law...

Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
And I'd feel much safer in Vermont than I would in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies