Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
No need to even delve that deep. This comes down the the basic definition of insurance. When an insurance company is forced to accept new applicants with pre-existing conditions that they are expected to pay for, they cease to be an insurance company.

It makes absolutely zero sense to anyone with a brain in their heads. It's complete and total fantasy to think that by forcing insurance companies to accept applicants with pre-existing conditions, those applicants will somehow magically be taken care of at the current price point. Hey, geniuses, insurance is based on risk.

At least a complete government takeover of health care, whether you're for or against it, makes logical sense. This does not.
What do they become then?

I do have to wonder whether people who say that companies that provide health care coverage shouldn't cover pre-existing conditions know that people with pre-existing conditions do get coverage with some regularity. If one has continuous coverage and goes to a new job with a new carrier, you will be covered. There may be a waiting period, but, eventually that pre-existing condition most likely will be covered. It has really only been on the "open" market that this is a particular issue.

So. I'll ask again: what are these companies now? Are they brain-dead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Little Acorn, I think you make a good case for single payer national healthcare. You're right, why should private companies shoulder that liability. Also, why should they be allowed to make a profit off people's sickness?

Healthcare should be a not for profit business. I'm not against doctors making big dough, but the rest of it should be nationalized.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Touche!

You have $76K sitting in a shoebox for a hip replacement? And that was just the hospital bill, mind you. There was the doctor bill, the physical therapy bill, the pharmacy bill, etc.
oh so YOUR EXPECTATION is that SOMEONE ELSE will pay your bill

I dont care if its 76k or 760k...ITS YOUR BILL

guess what under singlepayer...you might not get that hip replacement

I dont expect someone else to feed my kids, put a roof over my head, give me a job I'm not qualified for, or pay my bills

have some pride woman

Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I find the above insulting and rude. Period. No further response, bub.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,092 times
Insurance companies should not have to cover pre existing conditions. Which is precisely why they must be done away with, pronto.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
How exactly does that work? Are my doctors, nurses and staff allowed to earn an income? How can I buy new equipment, expand the hospital, if I cannot make a profit and set money aside for those things? Or are you referring a co-op?
Have you ever heard of a Credit Union? Seen their new buildings? Do you know BC/BS in many states are Nonprofits? Did you know the head of the Boy Scouts of America received over $1 million in salary? I think you need to expand your thinking about what a "Non Profit" is.

Many of them were the only companies around investing in anything the last few years.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Next fender bender I hope State Farm pitches you out.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So. I'll ask again: what are these companies now? Are they brain-dead?
If you really can't understand why this ridiculous notion flies in the face of everything that "insurance" is, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
If you really can't understand why this ridiculous notion flies in the face of everything that "insurance" is, I don't know what to tell you.
You don't have to tell me anything. Might want to ask BCBS, United Health, Aetna, etc. why they run their companies so poorly though, since clearly they have no idea what they are selling.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh so YOUR EXPECTATION is that SOMEONE ELSE will pay your bill

I dont care if its 76k or 760k...ITS YOUR BILL

guess what under singlepayer...you might not get that hip replacement

I dont expect someone else to feed my kids, put a roof over my head, give me a job I'm not qualified for, or pay my bills

have some pride woman
She could make ten of you Workingclasszero. Yeah, her expectation is that her INSURANCE - which she pays for - will pay her bill.

If you had a job that came with benefits - you would understand.

I seriously doubt that you have $76,000 laying around to deal with a catastrophic health situation. That's why we have insurance.

Oh wait - you are probably another one of those uber wealthy job creators that spends most of their day posting on CD. Check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies