Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,694,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
doesnt matter

insurance is RISK MANAGEMENT

auto insurance....you get too many tickets...or too many accidents...you WONT BE COVERED...or you will pay through the nose on the COVERAGE YOU CAN FIND

homeowners insurance....you WONT GET COVERAGE..in a flood plain ...if you have too many claims...if you commit fraud

insurance has NEVER BEEN ABOUT CARE...but some people just dont understand
You can go without having an accident if you follow the law. I can even have a fender bender and settle it out of court, or talk my way out of a ticket. I know a lot of people who have gone 25 years, or an entire lifetime without a traffic ticket. You can't be in a car accident if your car was in the garage, but you can come down with a form of cancer or high blood pressure thru no fault of your own.

If I have a medical condition, I can't hide it, or talk my way out of it, or settle it out of court. In most cases, I also cannot control whether I get cancer, or some abnormality or sickness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,995,421 times
I got my back crushed in 1987. I won medical for life and found out medical for life is just 3 years.

Ever since I had to be 1099 since no one would hire a back injured guy and or insure me.

The result is i got to be a fair medic that can deal with a lot of cuts broken bones and infections.

And now Obama thinks i am going to BUY IN? I don't think so...

Anything like that coming in the mail will be wood stove kindling.

The last time i got pneumonia it cost me $2,600.00 to tell the doctor what I needed for a prescription. Paid that in cash.

They tested everything they could INSTEAD.... That won't ever happen again.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,101,619 times
Quote:
Why on Earth should Insurance companies, in particular, have to cover pre-existing conditions?
To prevent them from the cherry picking that would cost people lives and livelihoods while they make a fortune.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,863,763 times
Why on Earth should Insurance companies, in particular, have to cover pre-existing conditions?

I agree. We should have a national health care system instead of making insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,079,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Negotiating benefits and negotiating what is covered and what is not - two different ballgames.

Of course pre-existing conditions should not be excluded. Say . . you get cancer and lose your job. You find another one but, guess what? They have insurance but won't cover your cancer treatment.

What would you do?

Either way - the taxpayer will foot the bill. Medicaid ain't free, you know.
You simply keep paying the premiums to the insurance carrier. You do not get cut off the day you lose your job, and there are already mechanisms in place that cover the gap between employers.

Let's say that I'm insurer A who covered your treatment. You stop paying. Should I, as a business continue covering your treatments?

Now, you get employed by a new company, I'm insurer B. Should I be forced to cover your treatments?

Look, you lefties seem to want a world with 300 million different rules so that no one ever has to go through hard times.

Life is tough. Wear a helmet.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM

33,571 posts, read 37,194,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Some people seem to have a very strange view of what insurance companies do. They point to the problem of people who have a pre-existing condition, trying to sign up for new insurance, only to find the insurance companies won't pay for the the treatment for that pre-existing condition.

Of course they won't. That's not what insurance companies do. Whoever said they did?

Insurance is a gambling game where you bet on what will happen in the future. You "bet" that you will get sick or injured, and the company "bets" that you won't. If you get sick or injured, the company pays you the stipulated amount (paying for a portion of your medical treatment etc.), and if you don't, you pay them (premiums). The purpose is to shield you from the "shock" of suddenly and unexpectedly getting hit with huge medical bills... which is why you agreed to the contract.

A pre-existing condition cannot be insured against. It's like betting on the outcome of a horse race that's already been run - there is no "chance" involved, and no "unexpectedness" to the outcome (any more). Or like trying to get car insurance after wrecking your car.

Insurance companies are in the business of selling security - the assurance that you won't be suddenly bankrupted by huge medical bills, rehab bills etc. in the future. They do it by insuring huge numbers of people and getting them to each pay relatively small amounts (their premiums) each. They and their clients all know that most of them will never incur the huge medical bills they are worried about. But since no one knows which few people WILL incur them, they are all happy to pay the premiums, for the knowledge they won't have to pay the huge amounts if they turn out to be the unlucky ones.

Insurance companies sell safety from FUTURE possible disasters. And that's all they sell. Asking them to cover pre-existing conditions, is like asking a submarine designer to design a supersonic jet - it's got nothing to do with his business or his area of expertise, and he never volunteered to design jets in the first place, for good reason.

If you want to set up some kind of universal pool to pay for pre-existing conditions, fine, go ahead. But why drag insurance companies into it? It's got nothing to do with their areas of expertise, and they never volunteered to do it in the first place - for good reason.
They do in Canada, where we are not nearly as selfish as the likes of you.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,079,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
To prevent them from the cherry picking that would cost people lives and livelihoods while they make a fortune.
I know many, many people.

I don't know a single person who died because of a lack of insurance.

I do, however, know people who died because they simply wouldn't go to a doctor....by the time they did, it was too late.

Should we have the government program forcing people to go to the doctor?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,389,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Insurance companies do cover pre-existing medical conditions. They just charge through the nose for the coverage.

Obamcare was the best thing that ever happened to the industry. With such a huge base of coverage, no single company has to bear the great risk they all face now individually. Their actuaries know this full well, and that's why many companies have already lowered their rates. They all want to be first in line when the exchanges are in place.
Which companies have lowered their rates?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,241,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I know many, many people.

I don't know a single person who died because of a lack of insurance.

I do, however, know people who died because they simply wouldn't go to a doctor....by the time they did, it was too late.

Should we have the government program forcing people to go to the doctor?
I know a family that went bankrupt due to lack of insurance.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:51 PM

32,835 posts, read 19,528,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Really? I pay monthly for my employer provided insurance. I'm not sure where you're getting your little overreaction.
you pay 25%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies