Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:30 PM

22 posts, read 28,229 times

Advertisements

Sometimes people use words they shouldn’t use when theirtrying to be funny. Some use “***”, and others use the “N” word. I hate themboth and think both of them shouldn’t be used in those ways. But another word Ireally hate is the word “Retard”. People seem to use this word all the time.Some people say it when they’re mad, they will say something like “This is soretarded!” Others will say it to be funny or as an insult like “Don’t be aretard.” Or “You’re retarded.” This is really disrespectful and rude. There arepeople who have mental problems and can’t control it, so they have no defense againstit. Others who have mental issues may understand it and may be insulted, butthe person who said it thinks the person will be too stupid to understand. Iwas in special ed classes and do hate it when people use this word. I knew somesmart people in those classes, possibly smarter than people in “normal classes”,just maybe a bit slower. People who use it in mean ways should feel ashamed formaking fun of a disability problem, even if they aren’t completely aware of it.Just like *** and the n word, it may insult the person. They aren’t being funnyor cool, they’re just being jerks.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:21 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
I agree. It is insensitive.

You never know if someone has a close loved one who is mentally retarded. This could be a very hurtful thing for them to hear. I would think they have enough stress in their lives anyway.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:59 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Is it ok to say the word regarding your garden has had a retarted growth season? Is the word retartded just never to be use

Old 07-26-2013, 07:04 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Is it ok to say the word regarding your garden has had a retarted growth season? Is the word retartded just never to be use
Yes, different context (retarded, not retarted unless you planted more tarts in your garden???)

Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Yes, different context (retarded, not retarted unless you planted more tarts in your garden???)

Sorry I just put in eye drops and couldn't see or maybe I'm retarded

Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I see nothing wrong with it; just a description, a word morphing to describe how someone feels about something. It has roots in the description of a disability, but when someone states "that sweater is retarded looking", they are not stating the sweater looks like it has a disability.

This reminds me of the debate over the term "gay".

Old 07-27-2013, 06:27 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
If you are referring to the person you are speaking to......you are being rude. Nothing you can say will make it better.

About someone else, something like "he's not too bright" is better than just plain retarded. Retarded covers a wide range of abilities. Someone can be "retarded" and still be a genius with a musical instrument.

Using it as a figure of speech, saying retarded in regard to just about anything, shows a, shall we say, retarded vocabulary?

Is it worse than calling a person, an idiot, or moron if they have learning problems?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
I don't care much for the use the word retarded as a term of derision, but I am annoyed at the fact that we cannot use it in its proper context either.

My brother was born mentally retarded, but if I use that term, the PC Nazis get their knickers in a twist.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I don't care much for the use the word retarded as a term of derision, but I am annoyed at the fact that we cannot use it in its proper context either.

My brother was born mentally retarded, but if I use that term, the PC Nazis get their knickers in a twist.
I attended some diversity training thing for work. They said that we are not suppose to use the term "handicap", but say "people with a disability". Reasoning was that the term "handicap" is a label, and labeling a person makes them less of a person than normal, so it is wrong to label.

Of course a coworker asked "what about the term veteran", and the presenter took to deflection in order not to answer.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I see nothing wrong with it; just a description, a word morphing to describe how someone feels about something. It has roots in the description of a disability, but when someone states "that sweater is retarded looking", they are not stating the sweater looks like it has a disability.

This reminds me of the debate over the term "gay".
And what do you mean when you say, "that sweater is retarded looking"? Please explain how that is not negative. If it's negative, you're making fun of retarded people, b/c there is no way a sweater can be mentally disabled, or late, or any other of the real meanings of "retarded".

It's the same with "that's so gay" that was popular among teens, oh, 10 years ago or so. (Don't know if it still is, my kids are thankfully out of teenhood.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies