Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I don't think Cheney, Powell, or Lady Bush have been paid in exchange for their support of gay marriage. They just support it because they do.
I think that would make it even more strange.

We have former Republican Vice President, former Republican First Lady of the US, and former Republican Secretary of State using their status to cram the gay agenda down the throats of the American people. These people are top rank politicians and they represent the Republican party which (in the past) has promoted itself to be some kind of defender of Christian values. Their stance on Christian values has been one of the few reasons I have supported them with my votes (I am independent, so I vote across the isle).

Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then stop fighting the point.
I am not figthing it. Where the money came from, or if they got paid to promote it is irrelevant. It is not a money issue.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

We have former Republican Vice President, former Republican First Lady of the US, and former Republican Secretary of State using their status to cram the gay agenda down the throats of the American people. These people are top rank politicians and they represent the Republican party which (in the past) has promoted itself to be some kind of defender of Christian values. Their stance on Christian values has been one of the few reasons I have supported them with my votes (I am independent, so I vote across the isle).
Nobody is shoving some sort of "gay agenda" down your throat - nobody is forcing you to engage in homosexuality.

And I would imagine Cheney, Powell, and Lady Bush would all argue that their views on gay marriage much better represent Christian values than does your view on gay marriage.

And I'm still very confused about your whole "they're getting paid" thing.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
I guess it's nice to see that another step toward the acceptance of equal marriage rights not being such a frigging controversy is being taken.

Twenty years of this nonsense is enough.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
I am not figthing it. Where the money came from, or if they got paid to promote it is irrelevant. It is not a money issue.
The whole premise of the thread is that republicans spent big $$$ to support gay rights.
How is that not a money issue.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM

554 posts, read 608,795 times
Quote:

We have former RepublicanVice President, former Republican First Lady of the US, and former Republican Secretary of State using their status to cram the gay agenda down the throats of the American people. These people are top rank politicians and they represent the Republican party which (in the past) has promoted itself to be some kind of defender of Christian values. Their stance on Christian values has been one of the few reasons I have supported them with my votes (I am independent, so I vote across the isle).
They're not trying to cram anything down anyone's throat. They genuinely support gay marriage as a civil rights issue. And they're in the majority: more than half of Americans support gay marriage, and among young people, the percentage approaches 70%. These "top rank politicians" know that who marries whom is really no one's business except the two people who are marrying. State by state, the barriers to gay marriage are dropping.

I love the ad for another reason. Anyone who knows the inner workings of the Supreme Court knows that the justices watch, and pay attention to, societal trends. The tide in favor of gay marriage has been the fastest civil rights movement in recent American history. These ads, statements, rallies, public sentiment, etc., along with wins in the states over the past few years, bode favorably for those who are challenging DOMA and Proposition 8 in the Supreme Court. It won't be long before gay marriage is legal in all the states ... or at the least, states not approving gay marriage will still have to legally recognize gay marriages validly enacted in other states.

This train has left the station and is not returning. I vote based on constitutional values of equal protection under the law ... not on "christian" values of bigotry, exclusion, judgment, and hatred.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The whole premise of the thread is that republicans spent big $$$ to support gay rights. How is that not a money issue.
No, the whole premise is that former Republican Vice President, former Republican First Lady of the US, and former Republican Secretary of State are using their status to promote the gay agenda.

This is a significant turn in events. Wouldn't you agree?

Here is a better title: "Ad spotlights Republican support for gay marriage". The mods can change it if they wish.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
No, the whole premise is that former Republican Vice President, former Republican First Lady of the US, and former Republican Secretary of State are using their status to promote the gay agenda.

This is a significant turn in events.
Well if was about status, and not money, maybe you should have put that in the thread title or discussed it in your OP.

Quote:
(CNN) - Prominent Republicans who support marriage rights for same-sex couples are the focus of a new million-dollar ad campaign that's set to roll out Wednesday.

The spot, from the Respect for Marriage Coalition, feature clips of former Vice President Dick Cheney, former first lady Laura Bush, and former Secretary of State Colin Powell all voicing their support for same-sex marriage rights. The ads also use a clip from President Barack Obama's second inaugural address in January.

The group said they would spend $1 million to air the ad, as well as run print ads in major newspapers utilizing the same quotes from the Republicans who back equal marriage rights.
I don't see where you even mentioned "status" in your OP. But there is plenty mention of the money involved.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
I love the ad for another reason. Anyone who knows the inner workings of the Supreme Court knows that the justices watch, and pay attention to, societal trends. The tide in favor of gay marriage has been the fastest civil rights movement in recent American history. These ads, statements, rallies, public sentiment, etc., along with wins in the states over the past few years, bode favorably for those who are challenging DOMA and Proposition 8 in the Supreme Court. It won't be long before gay marriage is legal in all the states ... or at the least, states not approving gay marriage will still have to legally recognize gay marriages validly enacted in other states..
The ad may well be designed to influence the Supreme Court and nudge them towards the pro-gay corner.

I am most surprised about Mrs Bush.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM

Laura Bush has asked to be removed from the ad.
Laura Bush blindsided by inclusion in same-sex marriage ad campaign | Texas on the Potomac | a Chron.com blog

Here is the interview the comment was taken from.

Laura Bush For Gay Marriage & Pro-Choice! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies