Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:44 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
If the money is spend on infrastructure and educating citizen, and then yes, government does build wealth. But unfortunate, it is not the case.
Even then they have to take this funding from others to do these things. If the money wasn't taken those that provide the money could do it themselves.

Of course we would never allow individuals to get 17 trillion in debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 02:47 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Depends. Is the alternative to $1T being given to B that A just puts it in a trust fund for the next 30 years, where it only earns $ for the company managing it? If so, orders of magnitude more wealth is being created by B.

B/c I say so? No. B/c Republicans are running around like their a$$e$ are on fire to exempt themselves from jobs losses & economic hurt that comes from gutting gov't spending? Yep...

What stimulates the economy more: putting $5 in your savings account or $5 in a business' checking account?

Perfectly said, so we can assume that every Conservative in this thread will ignore it...

Does the economy know the difference between a $1 that's come from a public employer vs a private employer?

Yes. Everytime the phrase "gov't doesn't create jobs" or "gov't doesn't create wealth" gets uttered, that's exactly what they're saying. Is it my fault that Republicans don't know what words mean, or how putting them together creates statements? Nope. If you have a problem w/ that, talk to the sloganeers.

Well at least you have the strength of your convictions. And since you brought it up, could you do me a favor and take a look at this thread: "We don't have a revenue problem; we have a spending problem"
:banghead::banghead:

Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Of course the government builds wealth. The government builds infrastructure, educates citizens, and provides the environment for entrepreneurs to take risks. Countries with large public investments do better than countries with little public investments.
It's NOT the governments job to educate citizens!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The wealth creating part has been touched on already, but do really think the republicans argued that there were no people employed by the federal government? That's pretty much the premise of your post.
Quote:
Yes. Everytime the phrase "gov't doesn't create jobs" or "gov't doesn't create wealth" gets uttered, that's exactly what they're saying. Is it my fault that Republicans don't know what words mean, or how putting them together creates statements? Nope. If you have a problem w/ that, talk to the sloganeers.
I think that the problem may be that you don't think any deeper than the slogan. The Republicans in congress saying that are federal employees so I don't think they really believe the government doesn't employ anyone. Give it some thought.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
The Red States have to most to lose in sequestration. Republican districts receive the bulk of government spending - both defense and welfare. The Conservative trick has always been about talking up spending cuts but never offering anything specific. This created a cognitive dissonance between what they say (cut spending!) and what they do (except medicare, defense, VA benefits, agriculture and oil subsidies...).

With real cuts now on the way, Republican voters are about to see the reality of what government cuts mean. Their bubble will burst. People will lose their jobs, go into foreclosure, and send local economies back into recession. They'll go to their Congressional representative asking what happened? Their Reps will try to deflect to Obama, and many will believe them, but a good number will finally connect the dots. Come 2014, a good number of them will get voted out of office.
Welfare belongs to Republicans?? That belongs to OBAMA!!

Sequestration ISN'T even cuts!

God their is stupid people on this forum....smh

Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,018 times
Quote:
What stimulates the economy more: putting $5 in your savings account or $5 in a business' checking account?
What stimulates the economy more? Me spending $5 at the store or you using it dig a hole and fill it back up with dirt?

Nice way to frame it. You're operating on an imaginary premise. Is your contention is that the government is always a better investor than the taxpayer?

The point is, it depends where the money comes from and what it will be spent on.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Welfare belongs to Republicans?? That belongs to OBAMA!!

Sequestration ISN'T even cuts!

God their is stupid people on this forum....smh
I don't correct spelling and grammar as rule ... But hoo boy this is just too much.

God, THERE ARE stupid people on this forum.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,249 times
Quote:
:banghead::banghead:
As long as whatever you're banging your head on has the realization that 90% of the rest world already come to agree on -- gov't does create jobs & wealth -- I'm okay w/ this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I think that the problem may be that you don't think any deeper than the slogan. The Republicans in congress saying that are federal employees so I don't think they really believe the government doesn't employ anyone. Give it some thought.
I'm not the one reciting the slogan. I'm not the one agreeing w/ the slogan. Therefore, your entire point is moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
What stimulates the economy more? Me spending $5 at the store or you using it dig a hole and fill it back up with dirt?
It's a push. It's $5 circulating in the economy either way. That's not what I asked though.

Quote:
Nice way to frame it. You're operating on an imaginary premise.
My premise wasn't that $5 = 100% of tax revenue. It was an apples to apples comparison of $5, and my question still stands: does putting $5 in your savings account or $5 in a business' checking account stimulate the economy more?

Quote:
Is your contention is that the government is always a better investor than the taxpayer?
Moot point since that wasn't my contention.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
Quote:
I'm not the one reciting the slogan. I'm not the one agreeing w/ the slogan. Therefore, your entire point is moot.
No, but you are the one acting as though a slogan is the totality of the argument. I guess there are people that are swayed by sound bites. Your stance makes you look like the stereotype of the modern electorate.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,249 times
Quote:
It's NOT the governments job to educate citizens!
Well since 95% of the well disagrees w/ you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies