Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Why should the govt. get you a job?!!
Thats YOUR job!!
Go to the unemployment office and use their Job Seeker services. Look on Craigslist. Look on Indeed. Look in your local paper. Go to the business and ask for a damn application!
Doesn't work when businesses are on capital strike because their derivatives blew up in their faces and don't like the sitting president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Well then, invest away.

But when the idea is floated simply as a round about way of distributing money, I do not trust that the best investments will be made. Last time we did this on a large scale, much was wasted.

We'd need something more specific than "Roadworks, factories, cleaning, admin etc..."

The only exception to such is in the case that money already being distributed would become contingent on some type of work, as even a negative ROI would result in a net positive gain (comparative to the current state of affairs) so long as said ROI was not so low as to actually lose more than is already being spent, which is a virtual impossibility.

If you want a computer job, save the money on the degrees and get some certifications.

Just my two cents.
My thinking is to not distribute money. That's what welfare basically is. I'd much rather people get out of the house and go do some work, for the good of our country, than just sit at home and collect a check. It's also a given that with the new influx of workers getting paid good money, that will encourage more business in the communities that they work in. It's win win, private sector benefits in more ways than one. Sometimes when the private sector is frozen, you need to cast some bait for it to bite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
Quote:
Thats YOUR job!!
Go to the unemployment office and use their Job Seeker services. Look on Craigslist. Look on Indeed. Look in your local paper. Go to the business and ask for a damn application!
This is all a moot point when you consider that there are way more applicants than jobs available.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My thinking is to not distribute money. That's what welfare basically is. I'd much rather people get out of the house and go do some work, for the good of our country, than just sit at home and collect a check. It's also a given that with the new influx of workers getting paid good money, that will encourage more business in the communities that they work in. It's win win, private sector benefits in more ways than one. Sometimes when the private sector is frozen, you need to cast some bait for it to bite
But that would be money we are already distributing now which if the OP were suggesting he most likely would have started a thread entitled "From welfare to workfare" which really has nothing to do with the "New Deal" type setup he is most likely referring to.

And workfare is still "distributing money" in the sense that I referred to it.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
so are you saying that all government employees are on welfare?

sounds like it to me

those pesky scroungers eh!
Most of them pretty much are.

But my point is, we don't need anymore govt. programs.

You also cannot just manufacture jobs from nothing. Companies have learnt to consolidate. Many have upgraded their equipment which allows for a job not to be replaced. What used to take 2 people, can now easily be done by one thanks to technology. The economy is still very much in the balance with very little growth. Companies aren't hiring unless they have to. With exceptions of course.

If these jobs were available, they'd be advertised.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
good idea. I don't know why I haven't thought of that. do you know where I can find one? unless you are implying I should degrade myself and become a stripper...already thought of that but mom insisted me not to.

and I don't care if welfare spending is higher than defense. if we were using defense funds on aerospace that would be fine but we are not
I have no idea where you live but I refuse to believe that anyone willing to work can not find something. If you are an electrical engineer or something maybe. But if it's just a job, they are out there.

My son was 21 last year and found 3 jobs. Started off the year getting hired to wash dishes. Yes it sucked but it's a job. Spring came around around he got hired with a local landscaper. After a few months of that he got hired with an environmental service company.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
But that would be money we are already distributing now which if the OP were suggesting he most likely would have started a thread entitled "From welfare to workfare" which really has nothing to do with the "New Deal" type setup he is most likely referring to.

And workfare is still "distributing money" in the sense that I referred to it.
But, as I was saying, we are not talking about make work projects which I think is what you are referring to. I don't know if you've driven on any roads lately, but there sure as hell needs to be some serious road resurfacing down right outside your stomping grounds like in College Park. Last time I was there the street through downtown College Park was like driving on the moon

Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Thats YOUR job!!
you're right I should be doing that instead of sitting on my a** all day with cheeto fingers
esp since Craigslist is such a reliable source. do you think I should do the egg donor jobs they have on there?(yes I seriously almost thought of that too)

Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
But, as I was saying, we are not talking about make work projects which I think is what you are referring to. I don't know if you've driven on any roads lately, but there sure as hell needs to be some serious road resurfacing down right outside your stomping grounds like in College Park. Last time I was there the street through downtown College Park was like driving on the moon
I'm sure College Park has a road crew already. Are you going to just displace them?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,429 times
Quote:
Doesn't work when businesses are on capital strike because their derivatives blew up in their faces and don't like the sitting president.

Quote:
This is all a moot point when you consider that there are way more applicants than jobs available.
Hiring is slow. But there is LOTS of jobs.
People just aren't qualified for a lot of them. People don't take self responsibility anymore to better themselves. They want the government to do everything.

Type your zip into Indeed. Bet you there is tons of jobs.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
I did mention 'cleaning'

this could be government run, but not for a welfare check - NO - it should be done for a real wage.

why ever not?

you work, you get paid - that is how the system is supposed to work.
So basically you're describing a job.

People already HAVE those jobs, so you'd either have to lay off those currently working, or make up work that doesn't exist - like re-cleaning the same floor over & over?? Then you'd have less for each employee to do, which would inevitably lead to hour reductions or layoffs. You're just describing the problem we already face, which is too many workers with not enough jobs to give them. Brilliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies