Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That little girl has good common sense.

One has to be brainswashed into thinking that homosexuality is normal, but little children intuitively understand that it is not.
I think it might've been Little Miss Sunshine actually. When her uncle, I think it is, is explaining to her about his boyfriend, about how boys like boys she says something like, 'that's silly.' lol

Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
SSM has always been a ploy to undermine the traditional family structure and values. Why is no one advocating civil unions for all by default and leave marriage to church blessed occasions first of all, and two, why not accept civil unions that has everything the same as in marriage but name only? Easy, it was never about marriage in the first place or the monetary benefits, that's something for the duped to grasp at
I've heard it argued that civil unions don't confer all the same 'rights', but if they do, then there shouldn't be an argument imo. It's quibbling over definitions. Civil unions are a state thing, but isn't marriage usually a religious thing too?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
While I don't take it all as a joke, at times I admit I do see it in a lighter way. I mean who cares if they want to marry, but I admit, when people make jokes about two grooms or something it can be kind of amusing.
Well, now we know more about you. And it's not a good impression you've made.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,073,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I care less who others want to marry so I suppose I give it little thought.
So if somebody wanted 2 or 3 or 10 wives, you're fine with it?
Or to marry their sister, or mother, you're cool with that?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I don't care who you live with, have sex with, invite to meet your mother, invite over for game night, have at your Thanksgiving table.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard it argued that civil unions don't confer all the same 'rights', but if they do, then there shouldn't be an argument imo. It's quibbling over definitions. Civil unions are a state thing, but isn't marriage usually a religious thing too?
And there's the rub. They want legitimization in the context of religion and it's felt as if they are forcing their way, under the guise of "equality and rights".

It hardly matters though because it's built into nature's fabric that homosexuality is a dead end. Unless, and I've asked this before, is homosexuality nature's way of getting rid of undesirable genes?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
It hardly matters though because it's built into nature's fabric that homosexuality is a dead end.
If it was a dead end, wouldn't it be dead by now?

What's your opinion on an asexual male marrying a heterosexual female?
What's your opinion on an asexual male marrying a homosexual female?
What's your opinion on an asexual female marrying a heterosexual male?
What's your opinion on an asexual female marrying a homosexual male?
What's your opinion on an asexual female marrying an asexual male?
What's your opinion on an 90 year old man marrying a 90 year old female?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I can see why you would have second thoughts about marrying within the family but what's wrong with polygamy?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
If it was a dead end, wouldn't it be dead by now?

What's your opinion on an asexual male marrying a heterosexual female?
What's your opinion on an asexual male marrying a homosexual female?
What's your opinion on an asexual female marrying a heterosexual male?
What's your opinion on an asexual female marrying a homosexual male?
What's your opinion on an asexual female marrying an asexual male?
What's your opinion on an 90 year old man marrying a 90 year old female?
The argument is that two people of the same gender shouldn't be barred from marriage if the sets of people above aren't barred from it?

I don't disagree necessarily...what I'm saying is that heterosexual marriages of a certain type are fundamentally different from the marriages above and that institutions that recognize this difference shouldn't be forced to assent to the non-separation and equality of all marriages.

Now, you want me to assent to the assertion that those institutions should be forced to recognize the non-difference of the marriages in question. How can I when 1) I don't think any institution should be forced to assent to something they don't agree with 2) I recognize the difference between the two types of marriages 3) The marriages above are an offspring of the traditional marriage model so it is understandable why they'd be celebrated 4) I recognize why it would be felt important to emphasize one of the other 5)It doesn't fall in line with what I want personally from the future...?

Honestly, tell me?

That said, people will do what they want regardless...and they should be able to.

However, if certain institutions don't find it agreeable...then they should be able not to.

If in the process that institution is labeled racist, spiteful, homophobic...we've been called far worse. If we are so wrong...then why are we still around? Further, why are we thriving? I'll give you a hint...it's because it's built into nature's fabric.

(Strictly morally...economically, it's a different debate...)

Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I can see why you would have second thoughts about marrying within the family but what's wrong with polygamy?
What's wrong with polygamy is that mating is a biological need built into everyone and the sexes are born in (roughly) equal numbers. So when you have polygamy you end up with an excess of people with a biological drive which society has given them no possible way to fufill in a socially acceptable way.

With one or two cases of it, that's really nothing. But were it widespread, it would be a prescription for an unstable society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies