Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Quick someone put in a call to Robert Langdon or Ben Gates... they'll get to the bottom of this!
Well go read up on Ratzinger and all those "dots". His name comes up quite often with controversies surround the Catholic Church going back to the 80's.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
As soon as I heard about him resigning because of ill health, I called shenanigans. A good documentary to watch is HBOs "Maxima Mea Culpa" about the rise of pedophilia in the church, and how Cardinal Ratzinger was instrumental in covering it up while he was Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith from 1981–2005.

He chose to protect the church, not the children.
I still call it the "Inquisition" which is what it was originally called rather than their nice sounding new name.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So clearly you refuse to believe the pope resigned out of shame.
Shame over what?

Shame because there are gay priests in the Vatican in general? Or perhaps because they are a little too close to the inner circle … ?

I’m not saying there is a scandal, but if there were—and if he felt the need to resign over it—the latter seems more likely.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 02-27-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I still call it the "Inquisition" which is what it was originally called rather than their nice sounding new name.

It's also fancy name for prosecutor.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
As soon as I heard about him resigning because of ill health, I called shenanigans. A good documentary to watch is HBOs "Maxima Mea Culpa" about the rise of pedophilia in the church, and how Cardinal Ratzinger was instrumental in covering it up while he was Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith from 1981–2005.

He chose to protect the church, not the children.
Yes, an excellent documentary, and pretty shocking.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Being gay isn't a sin, and it's not evil. Priests having a sexual relationship with women, OR adult men might point out the hypocrisy of what the church teaches vs. reality, but it's not evil--it's simply human beings not following their vows to an organization because they're, well, human. Raping little kids, and then having the leadership routinely cover up the rape of those children and just moving the rapist to a new parish where he can do the same thing all over again is about as evil as it gets. If some of you don't understand the difference, I can't help you. As far as I'm concerned, the Catholic leadership and hierarchy (not the people, who ARE the church) have lost all moral authority.

I think the pope resigned because he's old and tired--AND because poop is about to hit the fan, and he doesn't think he's up to dealing with it, probably because he's been part and parcel of the problem all along.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, an excellent documentary, and pretty shocking.

Yes, it is. I had no idea how high on the Vatican hierarchy it involved.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Being gay isn't a sin, and it's not evil. Priests having a sexual relationship with women, OR adult men might point out the hypocrisy of what the church teaches vs. reality, but it's not evil--it's simply human beings not following their vows to an organization because they're, well, human. Raping little kids, and then having the leadership routinely cover up the rape of those children and just moving the rapist to a new parish where he can do the same thing all over again is about as evil as it gets. If some of you don't understand the difference, I can't help you. As far as I'm concerned, the Catholic leadership and hierarchy (not the people, who ARE the church) have lost all moral authority.

I think the pope resigned because he's old and tired--AND because poop is about to hit the fan, and he doesn't think he's up to dealing with it, probably because he's been part and parcel of the problem all along.
yanno, maybe, just maybe, this is why our country isn't much harder on child molesters....no one ever thinks about the damage a child molester has on not just the child, but that child's entire family...however, the damage on the child, is a life changing event....and it is high time, something more is done to get these molesters off the streets, I don't care who you are, if you molest a child, you are a menace to society...and I cannot believe memebers of the Catholic Church have not raised a huge stink about this and walked out on the Church....I just cannot believe they would stand by this, and still go to church every week...I think, no, I believe God would want them to stand up for the thousands of children who have been raped...regardless of who it is....

Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Yes, it is. I had no idea how high on the Vatican hierarchy it involved.

I don't mean to be condiscending, but why do you find it shocking? If you look back in history, who held the most power over people? the Church...who burned hundreds of women at the stake, b/c they had an opinion, calling them witches....? The church....
the Church/organized religion is a pagon hypocrytical way to control people, it is so primitive and I cannot believe so so so many people buy all this garbage.

Do I believe in God, yes I do, but organized religion, can be just as corrupt as our politicians and they buy votes as well.

I've done quit a bit of church hopping in my lifetime and boy could I tell you stories.

Hogwash....man is governed by 3 things, power, money and sex....and if you don't believe that, it's time to stop drinking the cool aide.

I'm not saying all religions are corrupt....what I'm saying is, they are mislead by all the misinterritations of the Bible...and by the way, The Bible was written by men.

Just look at what that woman minister did and wrote on that young waitresses receipt about tipping?????????
again, I have a whole lot of faith in God, it's man that scares me.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yanno, maybe, just maybe, this is why our country isn't much harder on child molesters....no one ever thinks about the damage a child molester has on not just the child, but that child's entire family...however, the damage on the child, is a life changing event....and it is high time, something more is done to get these molesters off the streets, I don't care who you are, if you molest a child, you are a menace to society...and I cannot believe memebers of the Catholic Church have not raised a huge stink about this and walked out on the Church....I just cannot believe they would stand by this, and still go to church every week...I think, no, I believe God would want them to stand up for the thousands of children who have been raped...regardless of who it is....
My husband was raised about as Catholic as it gets (he joined the protestant church I grew up in after we married), and his family members are still all very active Catholics. This is an outsiders perspective, but I think there are some Catholics who blindly follow the church and who put priests up on a platform, but there are way more than you think who understand the difference between the church leadership and the people. The people ARE the church--not the priests, and not the Vatican. Things move slowly in Catholicism, but I think big changes are on the horizon because lots of people have had it with Rome. My in-laws perspective is that they're Catholic, not protestants, and they shouldn't have to change their faith because some people in the church are corrupt--they work for change within the church rather than from the outside. They're standing up to things that they think are wrong. Nuns on the bus, SNAP (survivors network of those abused by priests) and regular old parishioners standing up and challenging their bishops to be accountable are all great examples. I think the American Catholic church, if not others, is going to make big changes. Not overnight, but soon. It's going to have to or it won't survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies