Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 718native View Post
what's stupid about the article?
It seems to be predicated on the idea that pretty much any criticism of Israel is en expression of antisemitism, and that's silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times

Schindler's List - Official Trailer [1993] - YouTube Man's inhumanity to mankind...at least most animals have legitimate reason to kill.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM

361 posts, read 272,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It seems to be predicated on the idea that pretty much any criticism of Israel is en expression of antisemitism, and that's silly.
I think a lot of it isnt antisemitism but they are getting there information from anti semites

Old 02-28-2013, 09:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post

Schindler's List - Official Trailer [1993] - YouTube Man's inhumanity to mankind...at least most animals have legitimate reason to kill.
Unfortunately, humans are animals as well, and we behave very similarly as chimps actually, who also wage wars against each other based solely on the fact that some chimps belong to one group and other chimps to another.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
This article talks about people who literally use to be nazis
2 people, actually. Günter Grass, who was all of 17 years when he was drafted into the Wehrmacht in 1944 - and I might point out that at that point in the war, when you were conscripted, you went or you were killed, conscientious objectors were never a Nazi thing and certainly not in 1944.

And professor Karl Bosl, who did use to be a Nazi. He also used to be living, but that was 20 years ago. He's only mentioned to make one of his students - Wolfgang Benz - look bad by association. (Benz was born in 1941. I take it we agree that doesn't qualify him as a Nazi?)

Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 AM

361 posts, read 272,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
2 people, actually. Günter Grass, who was all of 17 years when he was drafted into the Wehrmacht in 1944 - and I might point out that at that point in the war, when you were conscripted, you went or you were killed, conscientious objectors were never a Nazi thing and certainly not in 1944.

And professor Karl Bosl, who did use to be a Nazi. He also used to be living, but that was 20 years ago. He's only mentioned to make one of his students - Wolfgang Benz - look bad by association. (Benz was born in 1941. I take it we agree that doesn't qualify him as a Nazi?)
as a jew anybody affiliated with nazis makes me uncomfortable. You should understand that

Old 02-28-2013, 09:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Some people have that odd idea that being a Nazi was some fixed property, like having blue eyes...

Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't believe in collective guilt. Although being German, I am more innocent than most Israelis of my age are

Yes, unfortunately many people make that mistake to confuse being anti-Israel with being anti-Judaism. And with many people it is not even a mistake, but a deliberate confusion...
Whether you believe in collective guilt or not, you cannot deny that it is certainly an underlying current in German society. A lot of effort has gone into creating it and I am very much under the impression that this form of propaganda has been very successful. Alas, younger generations seem to increasingly divorce themselves from it.

I can not say whether you, being German, are more innocent than most Israelis of your age. Germany is still a major exporter of weapons and weapons technology... At any rate, I don't think this is relevant in the scope of this discussion. A lot is done "Im Namen des Volkes."

I wholeheartedly agree with you that mistaking (accidentally or deliberately) these two perspectives is very common. It serves a purpose, I am sure.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Europeans always have and still do hate jews
And the reason is Jews. In fact many of them are frustrated they cannot achieve the same results in the US. Its very discouraging that they cannot cultivate the kind of hatred here.

The Vanishing American Jew
THE GOOD NEWS is that American Jews--as individuals--have never been more secure, more accepted, more affluent, and less victimized by discrimination or anti-Semitism. The bad news is that American Jews--as a people--have never been in greater danger of disappearing through assimilation, intermarriage, and low birthrates. The even worse news is that our very success as individuals contributes to our vulnerability as a people. The even better news is that we can overcome this new threat to the continuity of American Jewish life and emerge with a more positive Judaism for the twenty-first century--a Judaism that is less dependent on our enemies for its continuity, and that rests more securely on the considerable, but largely untapped, strengths of our own heritage.

The religion has as its basis cleansing and purification by their enemies.

I guess that is why most people suck at chess. They can't see two moves ahead. Anti-Semitism is a tool of their own social control. In fact we are little different. Government always benefits from a common enemy. Its kosher wag the dog.
The first story takes place in 1812, when Napoleon was battling the czar for control of the Pale of Settlement (the western part of czarist Russia), where millions of Jews were forced to live in crowded poverty and under persecution and discrimination as second-class subjects. A victory for Napoleon held the promise of prosperity, first-class citizenship, freedom of movement, and an end to discrimination and persecution. A victory for the czar would keep the Jews impoverished and miserable. The great Hasidic rabbi Shneur Zalman--the founder of the Lubavitch dynasty--stood up in his synagogue on the first day of Rosh Hashanah to offer a prayer to God asking help for the leader whose victory would be good for the Jews. Everyone expected him to pray for Napoleon. But he prayed for the czar to defeat Napoleon. In explaining his counterintuitive choice, he said: "Should Bonaparte win, the wealth of the Jews will be increased and their [civic] position will be raised. At the same time their hearts will be estranged from our Heavenly Father. Should however our Czar Alexander win, the Jewish hearts will draw nearer to our Heavenly Father, though the poverty of Israel may become greater and his position lower."

Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I don't think it ever went away, it just went underground for a while.
Hagel the philosopher was an anti-Semite. So is the new sec.of defense with the same name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies