Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandicA View Post
St. Patrick's Day is a holiday to honor an Irish bishop who brought Christianity to Ireland. What does it have to do with America? Majority of Americans are not Irish.

April Fool's Day is not a holiday observed in any country in the world, and has nothing to do with America or Americans.

May Day is same as Labor Day in U.S. and Canada, plus we already have a holiday in May (Memorial Day)

Mother's Day falls on a Sunday every year, which is a non working day for federal/state employees and most non-retail workers.
I was being facetious.

I realize those holidays aren't federally recognized holidays.

I guess I should have done what I had originally planned to do and that was to toss in a couple of my kid's birthdays as "holidays" as well.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
I already gave reasons on my first post why it should be a federal holiday.
Your reasons are contrary to the First Amendment. Making it a federal holiday makes it gov't sanctioned/mandated, which is a no-no in this country.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I was being facetious.

I realize those holidays aren't federally recognized holidays.

I guess I should have done what I had originally planned to do and that was to toss in a couple of my kid's birthdays as "holidays" as well.
Why not celebrate their "un-birthdays".

In fact - National Un-birthday Day should be our next federal holiday.

Follow the white rabbit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oRKvpZ7PjE

Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM

154 posts, read 197,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Your reasons are contrary to the First Amendment. Making it a federal holiday makes it gov't sanctioned/mandated, which is a no-no in this country.
Lots of things are unconstitutional.. So what? We could have another exception.
We could give it a secular holiday reason

Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
St. Patrick's Day is a holiday to honor an Irish bishop who brought Christianity to Ireland. What does it have to do with America? Majority of Americans are not Irish.

April Fool's Day is not a holiday observed in any country in the world, and has nothing to do with America or Americans.

May Day is same as Labor Day in U.S. and Canada, plus we already have a holiday in May (Memorial Day)

Mother's Day falls on a Sunday every year, which is a non working day for federal/state employees and most non-retail workers anyway. Even if Mother's Day was observed during weekday, then we must have observed Father's Day as well, otherwise discriminating. Also not everybody are mothers or fathers.

Guess what, Good Friday and Easter has nothing to do with many millions of Americans. Now tell me why they should be forced to have their offices, mail delivery, stock market, etc. etc. closed for your beliefs?

Get lost. Sick and tired of Christians trying to force their religion on us. Keep it in your church and out of my government.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Good Friday? I doubt many have it off.
Good friday is NOT a federal holiday.
The real federal holidays are what I was talking about.
Did you bother to read my post?
It was only 2 sentences and referred to another post.
"These holidays" and "Not specific to federal employees" might have given you some clues.

Here's the original exchange.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Memorial Day is end of May. There's no holiday for 3 months between middle of February until end of May.
At least here in California, Cesar Chavez Day is an official holiday (not federal but "official") celebrated on a Monday in March... we also get Easter off the day before, and I'm a government (local) worker who DOES normally work on Sundays. I know you're speaking of FEDERAL holidays, but those are mandated off just like a FH.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, like EVERY year. And pretty soon the same old crew will be "informing" everyone how Easter was originally a fertility holiday blah blah blah as if no one else never ever heard that before.

Yes. We know. There were pre-Christian holidays that were supplanted by Christian holidays. And those pre-Christian holidays probably had even earlier religions who celebrated it THEIR way until someone came along and killed/took over/changed the previous culture and so on and so forth forever and ever amen.
Only because christians keep trying to usurp it and tell people how to celebrate and that it's their holiday.
Some people hate it when facts get in the way of a good fantasy for them.

The "it's ours" and it's christian, don't stand in our way blather gets tedious after a while.
It's not like no one else never ever heard it before.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Lots of things are unconstitutional.. So what? We could have another exception.
We could give it a secular holiday reason
To which 10 years down the line people will be complaining that the secular holiday of GOod Friday has corrupted the religious one.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quite frankly, we have too many paid federal holidays. Everything from MLK Day to Columbus Day to Labor Day. All these holidays do is force banks to close down, and basic services like mail delivery & garbage collection are halted/delayed. Bank employees and gov't workers get a free day off while the people they are supposed to be servicing are inconvenienced.

As far I'm concerned, the only holidays that are deserving of federal recognition are Independence Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Those three have major importance as part of this country's history/heritage. Most of the others (including Good Friday) are not deserving of recognition. Good Friday is strictly religious ... unlike Christmas which can be celebrated in many different ways. Leave well enough alone. No more paid holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies