Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Moderate Republicans seem to be all but gone. What happened to the Eisenhower Republicans?
I am probably as close a thing you will find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I was a moderate GOPer at one point, and most of my family, but all of these nuts have sickened us to the point of driving us out of the party.

As for the board, I think exposure to these people is one of the biggest points of evidence that the party has gone mad. Anyone with even a handful of brain cells would run from what is considered the republican stance as soon as humanly possible.
I call myself a Liberal, but I tend to identify more with young Libertarians than any other particular group. If the older Libertarians (over 40) and/or Republications where not so bat-shiv crazy you guys would have at least one more member in your ranks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Yup

The real question is are there any moderate democrats left anymore? It seems like only the extreme uncompromising left is around these days.

If you are not pro gay marriage, pro abortion, pro spending/anti fiscal conservatism or anti second amendment then you are an out of the party.

There doesn't seem to be any JFK "what you can do for your country" types anymore.
From my perspective it seems like most Democrats are moderate these days.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:24 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
I don't blame you. Eisenhower refused to cut taxes and he invested money into infrastructure. Does this sound like a modern day republican?
Last time republicans were in power they increased spending on infrastructure. And those same republicans are still in Congress. So you could call them "modern day"

Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Tax cuts for the wealthy??!!
Are you talking about that evil conservative Bill Clinton when he cut capital gains taxes from 33 to 15%? Because we all know the poor make lots of money off capital gains and the rich never do.

Or are you talking about George Bush when he cut income taxes for over half the country? Wealthy and middle class. He probably woulda cut 'em for the poor too, but they don't pay income tax.

Yep, that George Bush was an evil conservative out to crush the middle class. That's why he cut their taxes. lols.

Got any more partisan nonsense to talk about???

Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Well maybe they aren't on this board but moderate republicans haven't gone anywhere.

Look at who Republicans nominate for Prez:

George H.W. Bush (twice)
Bob Dole
George W. Bush (twice)
John McCain
Mitt Romney

The moderate republicans are alive and well and running the party.
Mitt Romney..." I'm a staunch conservative". Either Mitt was misinformed as to his status with the GOP, or he is a Liar.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I call myself a Liberal, but I tend to identify more with young Libertarians than any other particular group. If the older Libertarians (over 40) and/or Republications where not so bat-shiv crazy you guys would have at least one more member in your ranks.

From my perspective it seems like most Democrats are moderate these days.
When was the last time a pro-life person was allowed a position of power in the Democratic Party?

My guess would be the 1970s.

And you can't be a liberal (in today's definition) and be a libertarian at the same time. Unles you have multiple personailty disorder or something.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Moderates are usually people who don't think out what they support on moral principles but rather "go with the flow" and "try to please everyone."

In other words, their ideology isn't consistent nor thought out.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Mitt Romney..." I'm a staunch conservative". Either Mitt was misinformed as to his status with the GOP, or he is a Liar.
He said that to get votes.

He is anything but a conservative.

He's a very moderate Republican. He could easily call himself a Democrat and no one would think twice.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Moderate Republicans seem to be all but gone. What happened to the Eisenhower Republicans?

Progressive Republicans, are getting the boot, as the masks come off.

Moderate is the name given to mask the real agenda, of Global Progressive's, where there are two parties they give us, that are one in the same, with the same goal.

Then the other team is, We the People.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The platform of Eisenhower:

Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1956

I've been called a right-winger, teabagger, child-hater, homophobe, and misogynist for ascribing to those policies and ideals.

As usual, liberals have it backwards. Most republicans are rooted in the center. It's the liberals who have shifted so far to the left that the middle is the new right.
Then why do I think you are full of crap? I posted that myself and I get the feeling you consider me a Marxist because I am against private toll bridges.

Water resource development legislation enacted under the Eisenhower Administration already has ushered in one of the greatest water resource development programs this Nation has ever seen, a soundly-conceived construction program that will continue throughout this Century and beyond.
The Republican Party pledges continuous, vigorous development of Atomic Energy:
Ike built the national highway system because it took too long to move military forces without it. Germany just confirmed it.

That Republican party was big on infrastructure and the regulation of natural monopoly like water resources, power generation and transportation systems because they are tied to things of immense value with no actual cost of production. I am the only one around here for all of that platform with the exception that budgets be balanced after the massive bank bailout, which never should have happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies