Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,288,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And I said, if a man is that concerned about a pregnancy that may come about.....he should keep tabs on his "deposits"......then he will know if the woman becomes pregnant and can step in and take possession of the baby if she tries to put it up for adoption.
So a guy and girl break up - girl finds out she is preggo and decides not to tell the guy. If the guys keeps "tabs" on the girl he is in trouble for stalking.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,285,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
So a guy and girl break up - girl finds out she is preggo and decides not to tell the guy. If the guys keeps "tabs" on the girl he is in trouble for stalking.
actualy if she doesn't tell, and he finds out (they always find out) he can contest any adoption, and even fight the adoptive parents in court, since he didn't give up his parental rights.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,049,274 times
Where was the dad for the 40weeks of the pregnancy that he wouldn't know what was going on? I know this happens but it's rare and usually occurs when the dad isn't anywhere around to know that the mother was pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Condoms have about a 14% annual failure rate.

Nurse: What name do we put for the Father?
Mother: I don't know the father.
Nurse: Oh, ok. We will put unknown.

Adoption center: Hello.
Mother: I want to give my baby up for adoption. I don't know who the father is.
Adopt. Center: Ok, Fill this out.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Where was the dad for the 40weeks of the pregnancy that he wouldn't know what was going on? I know this happens but it's rare and usually occurs when the dad isn't anywhere around to know that the mother was pregnant.
Jail, overseas, moved, or simply doesn't talk to the girl anymore. There are a number of girls that I don't talk to anymore. If any of them hypothetically had my kid I wouldn't know about it. Most of the time the woman would keep the kid and ask for child support, but if they did give it up for adoption I wouldn't know anything about it.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM

443 posts, read 566,459 times
If you didnt know the girl enough at the time of pregnancy, to be able to know what she would do if pregnant, or see her ever again, why bother chasing after the child resulting?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,052,609 times
If the woman has the say on baby, the man should have the say on if he wants to pay a dime for support. Maybe that'll make women think twice before doing the deed

Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,475,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
actualy if she doesn't tell, and he finds out (they always find out) he can contest any adoption, and even fight the adoptive parents in court, since he didn't give up his parental rights.
Which he must pay for. Even with a paternity test that shows he is the father and with adoption papers that don't have his signature on them, he still has to fight for his own child at his own expense.

While she suffers no consequences for depriving him of his rights as a parent.

So no, don't even try to claim that's equality because he can contest an adoption if he finds out and if he has the money to get a lawyer.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,475,874 times
Quote:
Yes, exactly, but that isn't a reason for his rights to be ignored. Nor is it a reason for the child to never know its father. The rarity of it happening isn't relevant. This is especially the case in a society where the direction we are moving in one night stands and such being less socially unacceptable means that the incidence of this happening stands to increase over time.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,049,274 times
True indeed...but um what can be done about this? In the case of adoption the father can get his child back if he finds out. That's the thing though....if the mother or the father goes away what can be done? As far as abortion goes...I really don't see a way to make the ideas of some of the posters reality?

What can be done? Make every woman of child bearing age pee on a stick monthly? Will men start tracking the periods of their hook-ups and ONS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yes, exactly, but that isn't a reason for his rights to be ignored. Nor is it a reason for the child to never know its father. The rarity of it happening isn't relevant. This is especially the case in a society where the direction we are moving in one night stands and such being less socially unacceptable means that the incidence of this happening stands to increase over time.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
True indeed...but um what can be done about this? In the case of adoption the father can get his child back if he finds out. That's the thing though....if the mother or the father goes away what can be done? As far as abortion goes...I really don't see a way to make the ideas of some of the posters reality?

What can be done? Make every woman of child bearing age pee on a stick monthly? Will men start tracking the periods of their hook-ups and ONS?

I think we, as a country, should have the conversation on whether we desire an equal society or not. At least before we get bogged down in the details.[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

It turns out that at least one sociology professor agrees.

Frances Goldscheider

"It seems clear that gender equality will have to be achieved in the family. This means that men will have the same right to decide whether to assume the rights and responsibilities of fatherhood that women have and that they have equal rights to custody. It also means that the rights and obligations of both parents to support and care for their children will be enforced with equal stringency.

For such equality to be achieved, however, men need the right to a "financial abortion" - to be notified by the mother as soon as she knows about the child's existence, and to decide reasonably quickly whether they want to undertake the legal rights and responsibilities of parenthood - or not. Women who do not notify the father of their child should face penalties - perhaps for violating his civil rights."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies