Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Gotta say I don't quite understand this. I normally respect your posts. But what's the problem with celebrating blacks getting their voting rights protected? They're citizens and they deserve the right to vote and there's no question it was being suppressed back then. Have you ever actually seen one of the so-called "literacy" tests they were given? I read one once. It was insane. There is no way in the world that wasn't designed for people to fail it.

I think section 5 should be taken out. But that's because I truly believe it is no longer sufficiently relevant. Not because I just want to see it go. Even though I'm a Republican and 90% of blacks are Democrats I absolutely want them to vote.
Those tests were 100% at the discretion of the voting official and a black voter was often asked to recite the entire Constitution from memory as a requirement.

The issue before the court is whether the States that are required to get voting changes approved by the Justice Dept are still prone to discrimination regarding voting. Personally, I think the list should be expanded not reduced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yeah, because one has to be an idiot to want equal voting rights regardless of skin color.
Didn't read the link in the OP I see.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't think anyone is "amazed" as you assert. Why should we be? There's nothing new about the black monolith leaning towards the Party of Welfare, Wedlock, and Abortion™.
Wait, you're saying the Dems are for marriage? Is that good or bad?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Wait, you're saying the Dems are for marriage? Is that good or bad?
I think you're confusing wedlock and divorce.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:

A collection of idiots trying to act like they own the Equality High Road. The reality is these folks are nothing more than a bunch of washed-up has-beens clinging to an era of increasing irrelevance. It appears that the Supreme Court is poised to finally toss them all into the dust bin of history where they belong. (And will someone please tell Joe Biden that pandering loses its value when one is hopelessly out of place??)

Biden leads re-enactment of 1965 voting rights march

The following link shows what republicans fight for.

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Old 03-04-2013, 07:34 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is "amazed" as you assert. Why should we be? There's nothing new about the black monolith leaning towards the Party of Welfare, Wedlock, and Abortion™.
Yes, a good point. Republicans constantly pushing the whole "black people love welfare" stereotype is another reason why black people refuse to vote for republicans.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I think you're confusing wedlock and divorce.
I think we have at least two geniuses who don't know what "wedlock" means in this thread: wedlock - definition of wedlock by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Yes, a good point. Republicans constantly pushing the whole "black people love welfare" stereotype is another reason why black people refuse to vote for republicans.
That will all change when they make Mayor Mia Hamm or Love their VP nominee in 2016 next to that beautiful brownish man, Marco Rubio.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I think we have at least two geniuses who don't know what "wedlock" means in this thread: wedlock - definition of wedlock by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Obtusity noted.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
You convenienty left out abortion and wedlock. Why is that? Is it because you fear that statistics will be pulled out and used against your argument?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies