Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Many conservatives don't accept this. They figure if you were born to and raised by drug-addicted alcoholics and effectively never had a mother (who was effectively never available since she was strung out on drugs), your failure is your own fault because you failed to adapt.

If you were never given the social skills to succeed, your failure to succeed is your own fault, because apparently you were supposed to pick yourself up by your bootstraps and learn said skills at the library or something.
Who cares who's fault it is or your upbringing or social skills. If all you do is complain about it and use it as an excuse then you will not get any further ahead. All that will do is keep you poor. Sorry, it is an excuse. Instead you should say to hell with them and negative people get away from me. Or say hey, I had a rough start in life but I am not listen to their negativity anymore, surround myself with positive and get the hell out of here.

Last edited by petch751; 03-05-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
If wealth is being redistributed from the rich to the poor, why are the poor poorer and the rich getting richer??
Because wealth distribution is not actually occurring.

Last edited by Kenneth-Kaunda; 03-05-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
If wealth is being redistributed from the rich to the poor, why are the poor poorer and the rich getting richer??

Because the poor are buying too much of the things the wealthy create, and paying too much when they buy. Especially when the wealthy are having the stuff built in third world countries and shipped to an address near you.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM

563 posts, read 807,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

And didn't you say you sell on ebay and use a scanner but needed a camera awhile back? Did you get your camera?
No offense but what does that have to do with anything in this thread?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
LOLOL well then this will really make you lose your calm exterior. Can I watch you climb and bounce off walls?? This is the truth.

My parents drove the American dream thinking, not once did they say you can't or you are owed. They insisted that I could be or do anything I want (as long as it was legal. I had very good parents. Back then we were on the line of poverty eventually we moved into middle class.

With that belief, persistence, lots of work, and yes failures but always trying, and always "thinking" I am now living the American dream. I am not uber rich and I do NOT begrudge anyone who accomplished uber richness either.

There are people out there also trying to achieve the American dream unfortunately Obama and you neigh sayers come along and make it a lot harder to climb out of the trenches. Just because you don't believe, just because you are a failure don't take it away from others who are willing to do what it takes.

First hint,... To succeed you have to serve others well.

"Whether you believe you can or whether you believe you can't, you are right"
Henry Ford

Did they also insist that crack babies could be or do anything they want (as long as it is legal)?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Did they also insist that crack babies could be or do anything they want (as long as it is legal)?
Are you still whining?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post

Because the poor are buying too much of the things the wealthy create, and paying too much when they buy. Especially when the wealthy are having the stuff built in third world countries and shipped to an address near you.

This is an excellent argument against regressive sales taxes. There is an old cliche which was the title of a 1960s book which was read by many thousands of college students over the next 20 years: The Poor Pay More.

I figure it's bad enough to pay more than others for necessities but to have to pay tax on top of it is too much for me.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Are you still whining?

Only when people operate on the basis of a faulty premise.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Only when people operate on the basis of a faulty premise.
lol, then keep thinking and believing your way. It works for you.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
It's estimated that we've spent over 3.2 trillion on the Wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan.
That estimate included a lot of made-up "costs." The real costs are cited by several sources.

According to the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service, with all spending accounted for, even the emergency appropriations, the total cost of the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other global war on terror operations after 9/11/2001 all the way through 2011 (MORE than 2 years after Bush left office) was $1.283 trillion.
Quote:
With enactment of the sixth FY2011 Continuing Resolution through March 18, 2011, (H.J.Res. 48/P.L. 112-6) Congress has approved a total of $1.283 trillion for military operations, base security, reconstruction, foreign aid, embassy costs, and veterans’ health care for the three operations initiated since the 9/11 attacks: Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) Afghanistan and other counter terror operations; Operation Noble Eagle (ONE), providing enhanced security at military bases; and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF). This estimate assumes that the current CR level continues through the rest of the year and that agencies allocate reductions proportionately.

Of this $1.283 trillion total, CRS estimates that Iraq will receive about $806 billion (63%), OEF $444 billion (35%) and enhanced base security about $29 billion (2%), with about $5 billion that CRS cannot allocate (1/2%). About 94% of the funds are for DOD, 5% for foreign aid programs and diplomatic operations, and 1% for medical care for veterans.
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL33110.pdf

Even the Washington Post chimed in with this on the costs of the wars in 2008:
Quote:
President-elect Barack Obama's administration needs to monitor war spending much more closely than the current White House has, according to a new study that criticizes President Bush's approach to funding the Iraq and Afghanistan wars -- a bill that is projected to approach nearly $1 trillion next year. Even with declining troop numbers in Iraq, the direct price tag of the two wars could grow as high as $1.7 trillion by 2018
Study Criticizes Bush Approach to War Funding, Calls for Changes - Washington Post

Multiple sources. Similar reports of cost.

Meanwhile, the Congressional Research Service also found that government spending on means-tested (requiring no/low-income for benefits) social welfare programs for just 2011 was $1.03 trillion.
http://budget.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve/?File_id=34919307-6286-47ab-b114-2fd5bcedfeb5

8+ years for two wars and other war on terror operations: $1.283 trillion

Just 1 year of government spending on means-tested social welfare programs: $1.03 trillion

It's not the wars that are costing us a fortune. It's artificially financially supporting an exponentially growing welfare-dependent class. Those receiving public assistance have a birth rate 3 times higher than everyone else. 70% of all births in New Mexico and 54% of all births in Illinois are Medicaid births. Other states also have alarming stats.

That's not sustainable. The math doesn't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies