Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:54 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

The homosexual community has co-opted the word in order to avoid the stigma associated with the word "homosexual" in an attempt to legitamize their lifestyle.
Nope.

You're wrong.

It was heterosexuals who started calling homosexual people "gay." The term goes back - as a pejorative - to the last half of the 19th Century. In Victorian England, Canada, and the US, a "gay girl" could also mean a prostitute or any loose unchaste female as well.

All of the first gay organizations in America used the term "Homophile." No organization that was founded in the post World War 2 Era - from 1945 through 1969 - used the term "gay" to describe themselves. In fact the entire movement was called "The Homophile Movement."

Old 03-09-2013, 03:59 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
My Webster's dictionary has homosexual as the fourth definition.

gay\adj 1: happily excited: MERRY <in a gay mood> 2 a : BRIGHT, LIVELY <a gay sunny meadow> b: brilliant in color 3: given to social pleasures; also : tending to give in to sexual desires 4 : HOMOSEXUAL.

The homosexual community has co-opted the word in order to avoid the stigma associated with the word "homosexual" in an attempt to legitamize their lifestyle.

One can't even use the word "gay" in its original context anymore - so much damage has been done.
Dude, nobody has used gay to mean "joyful" since long before either of us were born... so please spare us this silliness, when even my parents would laugh if you used it that way! Unless you're at the Dickens Fair or something, it just sounds ridiculous.

And what do you mean by "legitimize?" I really don't understand that concept, as homosexuality has been a "legitimate" sexual orientation since the beginning of humanity.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:59 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I can only think of one reason you'd call them that, but saying why would probably get me an infraction.
Then your presumptions are neccesarily entirely wrong.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I defined retarded above as "slow or limited in intellectual development" - which is exactly what "intellectually disabled" means - so how is ID not a politically correct term if retarded clearly is considered to be politically incorrect?
Btw, I never said ID wasn't politically correct, I said it's ALSO the scientifically-correct term... it has a very clear definition, regardless of whether you're trying to be sensitive.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Then your presumptions are neccesarily entirely wrong.
How so? As Zombie stated earlier, telling the truth is sometimes offensive (hence the reason I might get an infraction for saying so). I do try not to offend, but sometimes the truth is just that.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Dude, nobody has used gay to mean "joyful" since long before either of us were born... so please spare us this silliness, when even my parents would laugh if you used it that way! Unless you're at the Dickens Fair or something, it just sounds ridiculous.

And what do you mean by "legitimize?" I really don't understand that concept, as homosexuality has been a "legitimate" sexual orientation since the beginning of humanity.
When I was in elementary school and did not know about "homosexuality"(we are appoximately the same age - so you know that this was mid 80's - before elementary schools in California began providing homosexual indoctrination) a fellow student asked me if I was gay. I replied 'Yes, I am happy". (I had a well developed vocabulary by the 4th grade, and was described as a "gifted" reader - whatever that means - i just considered myself normal). I couldn't understand why the other students were laughing, and I didn't know until high school when I started paying attention to the news and learned that homosexuality existed.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
How so? As Zombie stated earlier, telling the truth is sometimes offensive (hence the reason I might get an infraction for saying so). I do try not to offend, but sometimes the truth is just that.
Because my use of the term "gay army" only means that the homosexual movement is organized, has a mission, and plans tactically in order to meet its objectives.

How would saying such cause you to earn an infraction?

Old 03-09-2013, 04:10 PM

The word "gay" is a short easy word.

The word "homosexual" is five syllables: ho - mo - secks - yoo - al ... it sounds clinical.

A joke:

Two older ladies who haven't seen one another in years meet on the street in New York.

Sarah: "Esther, how is that fine son of yours?"

Esther: "Oh, he is such a wonderful son! A hematologist! His office is on Park Avenue. And your boy ... how is he?"

Sarah: "Well, Marvin is a homosexual ..."

Esther: "What a nice young man! And where is his office?"

Okay it's a lame joke - not a gay joke - but it's funnier in the telling.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Because my use of the term "gay army" only means that the homosexual movement is organized, has a mission, and plans tactically in order to meet its objectives.
I'll wager "the gay army" has fabulous uniforms!

What other army has such clean, tidy and tastefully decorated barracks rooms?

Old 03-09-2013, 04:14 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
What contitutes the homosexual 'movement'

Do you think we all sit down together for weekly meetings in a Stadium to discuss tactics and strategy? Who is the leader of this movement? What are the objectives?

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies