Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:22 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,071,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Yeah, being fair to the homeless owners of private jets really should be a prime consideration for him. After all, should they be expected to just bed down in their Learjets? We all know how hard it is to sleep on a plane!

It should be unless your not about being fair like liberals always claim to be. Everybody should have access to that shelter. Will you have to go through a background check soon in NY to make sure you don't own property to get a bed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 10:22 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,732,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Okay, question:

How many private jet owners have been observed taking up beds in homeless shelters?
Come on now, put on your thinking cap.

I don't care for Bloomberg myself, but he is not saying that wealthy people are flying lear jets in JFK and checking into a homeless shelter.

He is just using that as example, he is say that currently NYC has no guidelines in place so for a example a tourist trying to save money on a hotel could take advantage of the system. Or a young person who decides to give NYC a try because they want a career in the theater, so why pay for renting a room.

The shelters are supposed to be for people who are down on their luck, not for people trying to save a few bucks so they can eat out in NYC finer restaurants while on their visit.

Bloomberg knows wealthy people who have their own jets aren't staying in shelters, he is saying they could because there are no restrictions right now.

That is not what the shelters are set up for.

He has a valid point, imagine anyone just applying for food stamps and not having to prove they need help.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There is no harm in looking into this to see if it is a real issue. I would be pretty upset if I found out wealthy private jet users were getting free night stays in the city on the public's dime.
Why? It's only fair. But in reality liberals aren't about being fair like they claim. They think being fair is stealing others money for themselves.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,308,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why? It's only fair. But in reality liberals aren't about being fair like they claim. They think being fair is stealing others money for themselves.
Your comment has nothing to do with my comment. This is a loophole that should be looked at to make sure those who are really rich aren't abusing it. If they are, then that loophole needs to be closed, if they are not, then who cares.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 PM

It's a free bed. Who is abusing anything. It should be there for everybody. That is the only fair way to go about it.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
It's a free bed. Who is abusing anything. It should be there for everybody. That is the only fair way to go about it.
I gotcha, rich people should be allowed to sleep in a free bed even though they can afford whatever they want in this city....now I bet if Bloomberg wasn't looking into this and it turned out that the wealthy travelers were doing this, I am sure you would be freaking out that Bloomberg was allowing this to happen.

Whatever, as long as you can disagree with Bloomberg.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 PM

Fair is fair. The government is providing it through taxpayer dollars and the folks who pay for it aren't even allowed to use it in your view?? How is that fair? Explain that.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Fair is fair. The government is providing it through taxpayer dollars and the folks who pay for it aren't even allowed to use it in your view?? How is that fair? Explain that.
Actually if you are just flying in to nyc in your private jet then you aren't really paying for it because you are not a resident paying taxes.

But hey, guess some of us think it is cool to let the rich abuse the system. They do it all the time anyway and you Cons seem to still love and worship them for it, so why should I be surprised that you are cool with this.

Of course if this issue came up and Bloomberg didn't do anything about it to begin with, you guys would be up in arms with your outrage.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,733,892 times
He's creating a problem that has not been verified to exist and now wants to "solve it" ?
His thirst for power is becoming of a dictator if you ask me.

I wonder if being Mayor is not good enough for him anymore since it restricts him.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He's creating a problem that has not been verified to exist and now wants to "solve it" ?
His thirst for power is becoming of a dictator if you ask me.

I wonder if being Mayor is not good enough for him anymore since it restricts him.
Looking into a potential loophole isn't creating a problem. I have no issue with looking into this to make sure it isn't being abused. That is the whole point of checks and balances. Seriously, do you guys hate oversight that much that you don't want to have any form of government check to make sure anyone isn't abusing the system unless they are a poor person?

Seriously how many threads have we seen from you guys going on about welfare queens abusing the system, but the moment someone mentions a loophole that the rich could be abusing, you guys are like wait a minute why try to create new problems. The Conservative brain is such a funny brain with what you are able to rationalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies