Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 09:30 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I take it you'd like me to answer this so you can substitute their arguments for mine.

I have yet to see someone over 50 suggest we cut Medicare for people their age, and older.
Why should they. They've paid into a system for 30 plus years. To just cut it off would be cruel.

This 50 year old DOES think the system should be re-worked. I have time to make up the difference, as long as the idea is logical. Which it won't be, coming from the govt.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why should they. They've paid into a system for 30 plus years. To just cut it off would be cruel.

This 50 year old DOES think the system should be re-worked. I have time to make up the difference, as long as the idea is logical. Which it won't be, coming from the govt.

Because they SAY they want to cut government spending. If that is true, then cutting their own Medicare is the best place to start.

They won't do this , which means there's no point in taking their hypocritical opinions seriously.

To say "They paid into the system for X years" is an odd thing to attempt to gain my sympathy over, considering that they're asking me to do the exact same thing -- pay into the system for decades, and then have my future benefits cut when I get there. It's asking me to compromise so they don't have to.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Because they SAY they want to cut government spending. If that is true, then cutting their own Medicare is the best place to start.

They won't do this , which means there's no point in taking their hypocritical opinions seriously.

To say "They paid into the system for X years" is an odd thing to attempt to gain my sympathy over, considering that they're asking me to do the exact same thing -- pay into the system for decades, and then have my future benefits cut when I get there. It's asking me to compromise so they don't have to.
Who is this "they" they you keep referring to? Before you keep on harping about they, don't you think that we should put a definition on who they are? How bout using WE... because like it or not... you're in this mess up to your eyeballs just like WE are. Government? The Boomer's? The Xer's? Just who? Once again.. you keep blaming a whole generation for everything. But if someone says something about one of your aged whiners we're picking on the whole group? Hypocrisy?

And HELLO.... I've paid into the system... they've moved the age limit up on me already... my benefit has been cut.... Now I know your too young to know this, but when you go file for SS you will not get the amount your statement will tell you. The formula for benefits is so screwed up no one does, Not even the employees themselves. My neighbor called was told one amount, but upon actually signing up is receiving a third less. No I'm not asking you to compromise so I don't have to... We have been compromising already. We'll compromise again.... Will you?

Last edited by aus10; 03-18-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Didn't used to be that way. Companies came to college campuses and recruited for internships.
All paid. It was a pretty big deal and to land an internship for a semester or two was like getting your foot in the door.
We still pay ours.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There is no such thing as luck. The reality is that opportunity met preparation. If he didn't have the drive, know-how and willingness to take a risk, it would have just been another great idea that went nowhere.

We all have opportunities that come our way. It's called LIFE. Success comes when you jump on that opportunity.
He stole the idea.

What "luck"

Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:

So why not look at all programs and end the corruption and fraud and abuse first ?
Lifeline just uncovered 41% not qualified to have these free phones.
The FCC reformed the program and starting cracking down last year and required proof that you qualify.

That's 41% of $2 billion we've been spending.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
He stole the idea.

What "luck"
And are you basing that on reality or a movie you saw?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Who is this "they" they you keep referring to? Before you keep on harping about they, don't you think that we should put a definition on who they are? How bout using WE... because like it or not... you're in this mess up to your eyeballs just like WE are. Government? The Boomer's? The Xer's? Just who? Once again.. you keep blaming a whole generation for everything. But if someone says something about one of your aged whiners we're picking on the whole group? Hypocrisy?
I think I am the "THEY" in HIS argument. I've never said WE, and my opinions are MINE. I don't think HE understands the meaning of the term hypocrite. As I said, if something isn't done to fix the programs, then EVERYONE will lose. I'm not saying to change it for everyone else while I keep my benefits, just the opposite.

Repeating for the person with challenged reading skills; I am the age that will be most hammered by the restructuring. I would be 55 at the time 55 or less are re-rolled, and I welcome it. If sacrificing a little to save the programs for EVERYONE is required, then sobeit.

Le Roi: To blame all the generations before you, and then infer they should not take anything back (after 45 years of paying in) to salvage it for your generation... that is hypocrisy. Even if this isn't what you mean't to imply, this is how it came across.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So why not look at all programs and end the corruption and fraud and abuse first ?
Lifeline just uncovered 41% not qualified to have these free phones.
The FCC reformed the program and starting cracking down last year and required proof that you qualify.

That's 41% of $2 billion we've been spending.
And I bet most of us boomer's are glad. A thief is a thief no matter what age. Because this is what this all comes down to. We've tried to put ourselves in the youngster's place. We were there once too. But they (there's that word again) so perhaps I should use SOME or MOST, of these youngsters simply refuse to believe that inevitably it's time to grow up, shoulder PART of the blame on themselves (attitude), work hard to change what isn't working, and learn compassion and empathy. I've tried to listen to their side, I've even agreed with them on some points... but frankly their lack of open-mindedness is beginning to turn me quite the opposite of that which they wish me to see. Before long.. I'm going to go tell them exactly what they THINK I've already said....

Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I think I am the "THEY" in HIS argument. I've never said WE, and my opinions are MINE. I don't think HE understands the meaning of the term hypocrite. As I said, if something isn't done to fix the programs, then EVERYONE will lose. I'm not saying to change it for everyone else while I keep my benefits, just the opposite.

Repeating for the person with challenged reading skills; I am the age that will be most hammered by the restructuring. I would be 55 at the time 55 or less are re-rolled, and I welcome it. If sacrificing a little to save the programs for EVERYONE is required, then sobeit.

Le Roi: To blame all the generations before you, and then infer they should not take anything back (after 45 years of paying in) to salvage it for your generation... that is hypocrisy. Even if this isn't what you mean't to imply, this is how it came across.
Thank you. That is exactly how Le Roi has came across to me. It's all been a what about me attitude.. and when I try to explain it from a boomer perspective, he/she could care less. We care about the younger generation, too bad we're not afforded the same consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies