Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 06:52 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Where are you located?
Massachusetts

Old 03-17-2013, 06:52 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Sombody had to fund the Baby Boomer's excesses including all our foreign wars and corporate welfare. Guess what. You're it.

I sugest figuring out a way to consult on government computer programming (try Homeland Security internet spyware) or app development while living in your parents basement to save enough money to buy bank stock. Good luck.

Consider the boomers born in the mid-1940's to early 1950's: They went to college dirt cheap. Even Ivy League Colleges were much easier to get into. Fewer people with college degrees competing for jobs, unemployment rates not as high. They bought their real estate dirt cheap, and later unloaded it for big bucks. Gasoline/oil was cheap. Many parents today, can't contribute as much to their kids college education, and the loans students are forced to take out are enormous. Colleges intentionally recruiting more foreign students to allow for bigger increases in college tuition. Then older folks call you lazy.

The U.S. population has grown by a whopping 65 million people since 1990, mostly from immigration. We have in no way been able to grow an economy to match it

Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post

The U.S. population has grown by a whopping 65 million people since 1990, mostly from immigration. We have in no way been able to grow an economy to match it
All this amnesty talk sounds like a swell idea don't it?

Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
gwynedd1, you always write (short sentences) to make claims but you never back it up with an explanation.
Then you never read my posts.

Quote:
And in all my years I never recall a time a president who has pitted against the other like Obama has done, encouraging hatred within our own country. I never saw a president who said on the campaign trail.. vote for revenge. Sorry but all I see is hatred and a power grab from Obama, Democrats and Liberals. I have not seen anything from Obama that makes it any better for middle class Americans. Just a grab for more money and for more failed green energy investing.

Obama said "middle class Americans will not pay one more dime in taxes".

ALSO do note, the richer "are" getting richer while the poor and the middle class continue to struggle.

So you continue to defend Obama WHY?
What in the hell are you talking about?

Answer like that again, and I will only take time to humiliate you. If I ever do support a politician , I'll do it myself. Do not be a lying sack again.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 03-17-2013 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 07:01 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Consider the boomers born in the mid-1940's to early 1950's:

You also need to consider that boomer's were born till 1964. There are boomers that are still in their 40's. Hardly old and used up as some would have you believe as well....

Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
How does a government bridge raise revenue?
My response is -what the hell? -
If it were private, it could easily be proven in many cases to generate income
Quote:
Most infrastructure projects aren't funded by general tax dollars but by public bonds. The taxes fund maintenance at best. That cost is mostly labor.
And as I said before, why do states have to raise money from bonds when banks just print money for a private house? And since the cost is labor will you give me a direct answer? What is the opportunity cost to unemployment during time of high unemployment?
“But here is the point: If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill. The element that makes the bond good makes the bill good. The difference between the bond and the bill is that the bond lets the money brokers collect twice the amount of the bond and an additional 20 per cent, whereas the currency pays nobody but those who directly contribute to Muscle Shoals in some useful way.
Edison

Another one of those jackasses I keep talking about from our booming past.

Quote:
Keynes was last relevant in the 30's. Ironic that he believed the long-standing classical models were outdated by a century, noting that as economies and societies develop, so must our economic models and theory. Here we are almost 100 years later, a global economy, instant financial trading, complex derivatives, hedges, etc etc etc , yet people still cling to the notion that spending money you don't have so that people have jobs so that you can tax them is sound theory.
Yes and its not the government that does most of it. Its the banks. What money system do you prefer if you don't mind my asking?

Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i know, and when i argue with my dad he tells me the exact same thing.

but that's due in part to his world view that the government can't do anything right. i think that has something to do with the era he grew up in (born 1950) , where unions were a major adversary to common sense and productivity.

my views were formed more in the post-2000 years, which biases me toward the belief that the pendulum has swung too far, and that we have this ridiculous system where the private sector 'elites' exploit and rip off the government.. which is basically failure by design.
Ask your dad what a government is?

Oracle founder Larry Ellison buying Hawaiian island of Lanai - Los Angeles Times

If someone were to tell me they don't like democracies, then I would have a little more respect. I am beginning to feel that way myself.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
It would only generate income by charging a toll.

Cities now use public money to build toll roads and then charge the tolls so that union workers can receive above market wages to collect the tolls long after the road's capital costs were already recovered - at least twice.

Surely you know the difference between bonds and dollar bills. While they are both debt instruments, with bonds there is at least pretense of repaying the principal. Dollars are now a de facto perpetuity.

I would prefer a system that advocates and allows for a balanced budget - or at least close. There is nothing just about indenturing future generations of citizens with their parent's debt - especially when a large portion of the expenditures are wasted.

Debt isn't always bad. I borrowed money for a home or two. Borrowing money to eat out is stupid.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:02 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Consider the boomers born in the mid-1940's to early 1950's: They went to college dirt cheap. Even Ivy League Colleges were much easier to get into.
Then the Liberal mentality came along, SUBSIDIZE -> BUBBLE -> CRASH

In the case of the cost of education, Subsidize education -> prices rise where middle class can not afford it either and have to borrow huge sums of money -> Crash (people can not pay the debt).

All to give freebies and help the people who refuse to help themselves. Same thing is going to happen with Obamacare. The only people it really benefits is the people who refuse to help themselves so we hurt ourselves in helping them.

Nothing is free, giving freebies end up hurting you in the end.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:11 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I never voted in my life. I'm only 23 years old. Why should I? This whole country is corrupt. Always has been. The whole process of LOOKING FOR JOBS in this country has always been corrupt. People getting jobs just because they know the manager. Employers discriminating against race, disability, age and gender and getting away with it. All corruption.
This is 100% correct. Of all the jobs I have had, including grunt jobs, exactly 1 I got with no connections going in and even that sort of a closed universe recruiting since it was a college job open only to students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies