Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 11:06 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post

You don't just knock on people's doors and ask if they need stuff done. People think that's creepy. As far as flea markets go, yeah I mean they're fine and dandy and all but people tend to go there for bargains, you go there to make cash off your old stuff not to have a for-profit business.
Why knock on doors? What about joining investment clubs, reading groups, and other venues where you can pool resources, get partners, or seek a mentor? This is how my friend made his small fortune without even needing a college degree. Sure beats the anti-social paths of CL, facebook, twitter, etc.

Why are people still making a great living doing flea markets stuff? What about the people who drive around buying old lawnmowers, fixing and flipping them? They wake up at 5am to go on their rounds instead of nursing a hangover or sleeping in from a Call of Duty all night nerdfest. Next you'll tell me those areas are saturated and you'd be wasting your time.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Being young is nice, but missing out on all the great things about being young, like being able to start a family and see the world, is not. Many Gen Yers seem much older than their age psychologically and I think it's exactly because we have to accept a life of mediocrity and realize that our effort will very likely not be rewarded.
See the world? What generation just starting out got to see the world unless it was in a military uniform?

Serious, you think those who grew up before were able to simply traipse around the world? When I was first starting out we were in the middle of this thing the economists named stagflation. Interest rates were 12-20%. While gas was less expensive than today it was a time it went from 65 cents to over $1.00.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Being young is nice, but missing out on all the great things about being young, like being able to start a family and see the world, is not. Many Gen Yers seem much older than their age psychologically and I think it's exactly because we have to accept a life of mediocrity and realize that our effort will very likely not be rewarded.
Why are you crying? The median salary for electrical engineers is $80K. Also, why in the world would you even be thinking about kids and a wife before you even finish your degree?

Engineering Salary Calculator - Electrical Engineering Outlook
Engineering Salaries in 2012

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Thanks for that great comment, figure it out we all had to, really just shows the disconect.

Older generations were lucky to be young when job markets expand. To be the only developed not destroyed during ww2 so that factories in America could employee young workers in mass. The US at that time was the only nation prospering because the war was not fought here, relative to other countries, our casualties were low. Other countries were trying to rebuild bombed towns we were innovating and hiring countless boomers.

The world has caught up, and the US no longer exports to the rest of the world like it used to. Blue collar jobs are disappearing and those who have not been able to establish a career because they are new to the job market are having trouble getting their foot in the door. But don't worry, I'll just try harder, I hope your SS doesn't get defunded in 20 years when boomers are no longer controlling government.
It's not a disconnect at all.
Every generation has its own set of problems.
In the 1970s, in Pittsburgh and Cleveland, the steel industries closed their doors.
Tell your sad tale to these people.

Figure out your problems and take it from there.
What do you want?
Every generation has it's own problems and figure out the solutions that work best for them.
Really, what do you expect from others?

So now you're throwing threats, well, we're going to get you when we come into power.
What power do you think we have? We eek out livings, and have as much control as you do.
That means little to none.

SS is not a damned entitlement. I've paid into it for 42 (almost 43) years.
It was self-perpetuating until the government took it.

Your maturity level speaks volumes.

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Why knock on doors? What about joining investment clubs, reading groups, and other venues where you can pool resources, get partners, or seek a mentor? This is how my friend made his small fortune without even needing a college degree. Sure beats the anti-social paths of CL, facebook, twitter, etc.

Why are people still making a great living doing flea markets stuff? What about the people who drive around buying old lawnmowers, fixing and flipping them? Next you'll tell me those areas are saturated and you'd be wasting your time.
The world's changed. Where do you even sign up for book clubs, I mean where do they even meet? I've never heard of anyone talk about their meeting at a book club.

I have thought about repairing guitar strings. But it takes quite a bit of an initial investment.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
See the world? What generation just starting out got to see the world unless it was in a military uniform?

Serious, you think those who grew up before were able to simply traipse around the world? When I was first starting out we were in the middle of this thing the economists named stagflation. Interest rates were 12-20%. While gas was less expensive than today it was a time it went from 65 cents to over $1.00.
But they can see the world! All they have to do is log-on or watch one of hundred's of TV channels... I hear there's one even called The Travel Channel.. and... it's in COLOR!!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why are you crying? The median salary for electrical engineers is $80K. Also, why in the world would you even be thinking about kids and a wife before you even finish your degree?

Engineering Salary Calculator - Electrical Engineering Outlook
Engineering Salaries in 2012
My point is getting a job in my field is still far from a guarantee. And in the meantime, I can't seem to find anything that makes any sort of money whatsoever.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:11 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
The world's changed. Where do you even sign up for book clubs, I mean where do they even meet? I've never heard of anyone talk about their meeting at a book club.

I have thought about repairing guitar strings. But it takes quite a bit of an initial investment.
LOL, dude you need to get out of your basement more often. Very little of real life social transactions are done behind a computer screen, even in this day and age.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
LOL, dude you need to get out of your basement more often. Very little of real life transactions are done behind a computer screen, even in this day and age.
Are you serious? What year are you living in, 1993? You can buy stuff on Amazon at 7-11 now for Chrissake.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Now this is just whiny.
Who can afford to see the world?
I do because I work in Europe at the moment.
I'm old and I absolutely enjoy it. I travel in my camper van.

No one has the kind of money you think you deserve.
Most people barely make ends meet for most of their lives.

No generation has had their "effort" rewarded.
What do you think?
That you get a trophy for showing up?

Quote:
When I'm old it won't even be fun travelling. That's BS anyways, most countries have a tradition of young people who travel.

And not just anyone can join the Peace Corps. Gimme a break.
You're offered options and turn them all down as if you're too good for them.
In Europe, countries are as close as states. That's how travel is easy and cheaper than the US.
Go to a different state, if that's all you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies