Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
How do you guys feel about the verdict?
One of the teens (the white one) was weeping up a storm about the verdict. He sure wasn't weeping while he was committing the crime raping the girl! Here's more info about him:

Quote:
As these messages were read aloud, Judge Lipps heard Mr. Mays state that he had used his fingers to penetrate the girl, whom he referred to in a separate message as “like a dead body.” In another message, Mr. Mays admitted to the girl that he had taken the picture, already circulated among other students, of her lying naked in a basement with what he told her was his semen on her body, from what he stated was a consensual sex act.
Other text messages suggested that Mr. Mays had grown increasingly worried within a day or two, urging a friend to curb the distribution of a video related to the assault. He also seemed to try to orchestrate a cover-up, telling a friend, “Just say she came to your house and passed out.”
Finally, the messages showed Mr. Mays pleading with the girl not to press charges because doing so would damage his football career — even as the girl grew angry that he seemed to care more about football than her welfare.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/us...anted=all&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:55 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Ma'lik Richmond's attorney says he plans to appeal his client's conviction, claiming that the 16-year-old rapist's brain wasn't "developed" enough and his client should not have to be on a sex offenders list for life.

Steubenville Rapist to Appeal Because His 'Brain Isn't Fully Developed' - Alexander Abad-Santos - The Atlantic Wire

Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Ma'lik Richmond's attorney says he plans to appeal his client's conviction, claiming that the 16-year-old rapist's brain wasn't "developed" enough and his client should not have to be on a sex offenders list for life.

Steubenville Rapist to Appeal Because His 'Brain Isn't Fully Developed' - Alexander Abad-Santos - The Atlantic Wire
Deal. We'll put you in a nice mental institution until your brain develops sufficiently. No?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Deal. We'll put you in a nice mental institution until your brain develops sufficiently. No?
I don't think he's going to get very far with that line of reasoning for an appeal--he's an amazingly lucky kid that he was tried as a juvenile vs. an adult to begin with, because otherwise he'd be looking at significant prison time in the state penitentiary . If "brain development" and a lack of maturity was justification for kids to commit violent, horrible crimes, then every 17 year old boy in the country would be raping girls and murdering people, because none of them are very mature. It's a ridiculous argument, and just one more excuse from someone who doesn't want to take responsibility for the horrible things he purposefully did to another human being.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Do you have a link for that info?
Not an internet one but it was reported on the news. I wouldn't want to be the owner of one of these houses where these parties were going on.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:29 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't think he's going to get very far with that line of reasoning for an appeal--he's an amazingly lucky kid that he was tried as a juvenile vs. an adult to begin with, because otherwise he'd be looking at significant prison time in the state penitentiary . If "brain development" and a lack of maturity was justification for kids to commit violent, horrible crimes, then every 17 year old boy in the country would be raping girls and murdering people, because none of them are very mature. It's a ridiculous argument, and just one more excuse from someone who doesn't want to take responsibility for the horrible things he purposefully did to another human being.
The only excuse, and it's not even an excuse, but an understanding of how these boys could act like they did, is the culture of rape that exists: a culture in which a LOT of young people and adults, not just the perpetrators, thought it was OK to film this girl, disseminate the pics, make rude comments about her, not help her, and one in which victims of sexual assault are lambasted with vicious tweets and facebook comments.

Last edited by ellemint; 03-21-2013 at 04:53 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 04:44 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
The only excuse, and it's not even an excuse, but an understanding of how these boys could act like they did, is the culture of rape that exists: a culture in which a LOT of young people and adults, not just the perpetrators, thought it was OK to film this girl, disseminate the pics, make rude comments about her, not help her, and one in which victims of sexual assault are lambasted with vicious tweets and facebook comments.
Huh. There IS no culture of rape. Ask ZombieWhat'sHisName. And Kidkaos. It works like this: Zombie: Men are naturally rapists. Nothing you can do to change it. Kidkaos: All rapists are evil hardened criminals leaping on women out of dark alleys.

Didn't you get the memo?

I mean, if there really was a culture of rape, we should be, you know, TELLING BOYS NOT TO RAPE. But there isn't a culture of rape, so that's just a stupid liberal idea and we should all make fun of it.

Last edited by jmqueen; 03-21-2013 at 04:57 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Not an internet one but it was reported on the news. I wouldn't want to be the owner of one of these houses where these parties were going on.
Me either. But then I would never be the kind of homeowner that allows underage drinking in their home with a variety of kids that weren't mine.

That is just plain stupid and asking for trouble.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Me either. But then I would never be the kind of homeowner that allows underage drinking in their home with a variety of kids that weren't mine.

That is just plain stupid and asking for trouble.
In this instance, it sounds like that DIDN'T happen, at least according to reporting from the trial, and the transcript from the probable cause hearing. At the first, big party, it looks like the 16 year old sister of the adult in the home (an assistant football coach) threw the party without his permission while he was out, and the kids brought their own alcohol. He came home around 12:30 and kicked everyone out. The second home was where some of the kids went after the party, because a number of them were going to spend the night there. The parents were asleep, and there was evidently no drinking there. The third house was where the boys took her for the night to attack her, there were just a handful of kids there, and no parent was home.

I said this earlier, but I've never left my kids at home alone overnight, because I think you're asking for trouble--if not from your own kids, from kids who show up uninvited. Still, it sounds like pretty much everything these kids did was behind their parents backs.

Last edited by mb1547; 03-21-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Forbes had a really good article on how jock culture morphs into rape culture when adults put kids on a pedestal because of athletics, and expect zero accountability out of them--the kids in turn believe they have no boundaries and can do whatever they want--that and the expectation from ADULTS that athletes should lead this hard partying lifestyle and have girls hanging off their arms, vs. an emphasis on being good citizens, working hard in school, and good sportsmanship. It's not sports like High School football that are the problem--it's the adults who forget that it's a game, played by children, and that playing is a privilege.

Lesson From Steubenville Trial: How Jock Culture Morphs Into Rape Culture - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies