Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 AM

23,995 posts, read 15,096,054 times

Advertisements

A very good friend taught in a high dollar school district in Dallas Texas. At the time she was there, the football team ruled. If a players girlfriend would become pregnant, the players pitched in to pay for the abortion. It happened enough that it was common knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
A very good friend taught in a high dollar school district in Dallas Texas. At the time she was there, the football team ruled. If a players girlfriend would become pregnant, the players pitched in to pay for the abortion. It happened enough that it was common knowledge.
I believe that, but football is a GAME. The problem isn't football--it's when people take a group of kids playing a game--any game--and make them "gods" with zero accountability. The part that stuns me is how far this went, and how many adults knew what was going on. I expect kids to idolize high school athletes, but adults? What makes a culture like that?

Girls sports are huge in this state (BB and Volleyball) and maybe that helps to balance it out here--the "stars" aren't just boys. The other issue is that, with the exception of Omaha and Lincoln, our schools are small enough that everyone who wants to be on a team gets to be on a team--they might sit on the bench most of the time, but they suit up and they get rotated in on occasion, so there's not the same glamour associated with the players. If you don't play varsity, you play JV, and even then there are B & C teams. Most kids in our HS play a sport every season, PLUS a good chunk of them have other activities like Band, Choir, or Speech. It's more about having fun with your friends and staying busy and active here...of course you want to win, and people are fierce competitors, but winning isn't everything.

Again, I'm just stunned by this.

Last edited by mb1547; 03-20-2013 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's a very interesting link. Look at the prosecutor's non-denial denial.

Update 1:15 p.m.: On January 6, Keenan's mother, Jefferson County Prosecutor Jane Hanlin denied the allegations that her son and her house were involved in the case. She said:

All allegations that me or my son or my home are involved in any way whatsoever in this criminal matter are 100 percent false. None of the alleged events occurred at my home. My son was not present at any time while the victim was alleged to have been unconscious, photographed, videotaped or sexually assaulted. Any statement to the contrary is 100 percent false.

In other words, her son was there at some time during these parties.
If you read the transcript of the probable cause hearing, the prosecution walks through night step by step, including people at each location and whose houses they were at, and this boy and his house are not mentioned a single time. Anonymous put out a lot of false information. Although I believed it when I watched it too. They put together a convincing story, but they apparently made up a lot of stuff.

I also think people should be careful about accusing these boys of being serial rapist based on the Anonymous stuff. One of the pictures they claim to be of a different girl is described in the probable cause hearing as being of this same girl.
And the hearing made no claims of the girl being drugged.

There is plenty to condemn these boys without adding extra things that most likely aren't true.

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 03-20-2013 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
If you read the transcript of the probably cause hearing, the prosecution walks through night step by step, including people at each location and whose houses they were at, and this boy and his house are not mentioned a single time. Anonymous put out a lot of false information. Although I believed it when I watched it too. They put together a convincing story, but they apparently made up a lot of stuff.

I also think people should be careful about accusing these boys of being serial rapist based on the Anonymous stuff. One of the pictures they claim to be of a different girl is described in the probable cause hearing as being of this same girl.
And the hearing made no claims of the girl being drugged.

There is plenty to condemn these boys without adding extra things that most likely aren't true.
The boy's MOTHER made that statement that I quoted. She knows darn well her son was at some of these parties. She's a lawyer and she knows just how to say it. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
The boy's MOTHER made that statement that I quoted. She knows darn well her son was at some of these parties. She's a lawyer and she knows just how to say it. Wake up and smell the coffee!
The special prosecutor for this case does not claim a single time that this teen was at the parties or that anything happened at his house.
You're choosing to believe an anonymous internet group over the special prosecutor and the testomony of the people there?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
The special prosecutor for this case does not claim a single time that this teen was at the parties or that anything happened at his house.
You're choosing to believe an anonymous internet group over the special prosecutor and the testomony of the people there?
That quote was not from an "anonymous internet group". And what do the words "at any time while. . . " mean to YOU? Explain.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I suggest having the "rape gang" go stand against a wall and be gunned down like any other pest. The society should show them the same mercy they showed their victim.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
That quote was not from an "anonymous internet group". And what do the words "at any time while. . . " mean to YOU? Explain.
The article was based on the claims made by anonymous. It means he wasn't there. I'm not going to post a link to the probable cause hearing because it contains the victims name, but it's easily found through a Google search.
The mom said the kid wasn't there and that the parties were at her house. The prosecution hasn't disputed her statement.
I know you have a beef with me personally, but the facts are the facts.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
The article was based on the claims made by anonymous. It means he wasn't there. I'm not going to post a link to the probable cause hearing because it contains the victims name, but it's easily found through a Google search.
The mom said the kid wasn't there and that the parties were at her house. The prosecution hasn't disputed her statement.
I know you have a beef with me personally, but the facts are the facts.
The mother issued a freaking statement! Here it is from another source, the Weirton, WV newspaper:

Hanlin issues statement - Steubenville, Wintersville, Toronto, Mingo, Weirton, Jefferson County | News, Sports, Jobs, HeraldStarOnline.com
**All allegations that me or my son or my home are involved in any way whatsoever in this criminal matter are 100 percent false. None of the alleged events occurred at my home. My son was not present at any time while the victim was alleged to have been unconscious, photographed, videotaped or sexually assaulted. Any statement to the contrary is 100 percent false," Hanlin stated.

ARE YOU HAPPY? This isn't personal.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,168,640 times
I can't believe some of the posts in here. Yes, blame the victim..

I think - The boys deserved Jail time. They actually got off Easy. What they'll be in Juvie til 21?.

She was passed out. She didn't have the OPTION of saying NO... It was blasted all over the net. It was a joke to them. Yet, some of ya's are thinking it' was her fault? They all were drinking, YES?

And ya'll are blaming her parents too? What about the Nasty a$$ boys parents? Why are ya's not blaming them? Again, blame the victims...

Then to think she got threatened by 2 more family members (after the verdict) of these nasty boys - saying she's going to be dead.

This girl is damaged for life. I hope she can recover...

If this was your daughter, you'd be thinking differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies