Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 03:36 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Wow, what an expected response. Blame the victim. It's the conservative way.

Maybe one of these days your daughter/sister/wife will get raped & then we can turn around, point fingers & say "She deserved it!" I'm sure you won't mind, right? After all, that's your line of thinking.
Why do you think he is blaming the victim? If you leave your car unlocked and you car is stolen you will get a ticket. Is that blaming a victim? If you play with crocodiles and get hurt and the medics tell you not to play with crocodiles, is that blaming the victim? When we tell people be careful who you give your credit card to after their cc info is stolen is that blaming the victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 03:38 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why do you think he is blaming the victim? If you leave your car unlocked and you car is stolen you will get a ticket. Is that blaming a victim? If you play with crocodiles and get hurt and the medics tell you not to play with crocodiles, is that blaming the victim? When we tell people be careful who you give your credit card to after their cc info is stolen is that blaming the victim.
Say be careful, sure. But in this particular case, the victim shares no responsibility, and anyone who thinks she does is an idiot.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times
Quote:
Where the heck do you live that you get a ticket if you car is unlocked when stolen?

Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Wow... I was with you until you started wishing someone's daughter/wife/sister would get raped so you could say neener neener neener...

Just WOW...
When did I wish for it? I said no such thing. It's called "a hypothetical". Sorry you didn't like it, I'm not here to please everyone.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
Quote:
You must not be reading the same thing as everyone else. It should be obvious.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Say be careful, sure. But in this particular case, the victim shares no responsibility, and anyone who thinks she does is an idiot.
I'm waiting to see what the prosecutors do now, in their investigation of others who may have enabled the boys to act so violently, and also who apparently enabled the girl to abuse herself so badly beforehand. I don't "blame" the victim who was the subject of the rape trial. But, yes, the victim shares some responsibility for what happened to her.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I'm waiting to see what the prosecutors do now, in their investigation of others who may have enabled the boys to act so violently, and also who apparently enabled the girl to abuse herself so badly beforehand. I don't "blame" the victim who was the subject of the rape trial. But, yes, the victim shares some responsibility for what happened to her.
Sure, she shouldn't have drank to the point she blacked out. THat I do agree with.

That in no way makes her share responsibility for her own rape, however.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:51 PM

23,992 posts, read 15,091,790 times
mb1547 put up a link to the Atlantic Wire that stated the party was held in the home of a boy whose mother is t he Jefferson County prosecutor. Is this true?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:11 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Seems to be lots of female posters on this thread who feel that the girl did no wrong in this situation other than getting drunk. I wholeheartedly disagree. While every person should be confident that they won't be accosted by another person, no matter the situation, this does not absolve the person from acting responsibly, especially in situations where alcohol and teenage hi-jinks are bound to occur. Should the guys acted as they did? Of course not. But I think it's complete disingenuousness to paint this girl as a wholly innocent party-goer who had no hand in what occurred. 100% balderdash.

Anyone who has ever attended a party where underage drinking is involved knows that this kind of crap happens all the time. The difference here is that it was broadcast on social media and the girl all of a sudden had more of a substantial interest in salvaging what's left of her (bad) reputation. For better or worse, and before social media came into our lives, this sort of thing was the subject of hallway gossip and not much more. People learned from the mistakes (sometimes) and moved on without the weight of the world watching via CNN. This girl has some culpability. The uproar from this girl and her mother are more about saving face than justice. I'll maintain that till the end.
Liberal female here who agrees with you.

When I was a teen we had a gal in drama class who was called "carrot" behind her back. Turns out she got blind drunk at a party, and ended up having multiple boys insert a carrot into her while she was out of it. She was whispered about all year. Me, I decided, that I would avoid that fate by not getting that drunk. She isn't a bad person and it wasn't her fault, butt that is what happens when you get wasted and party with a group of boys. (And these weren't jocks.)

Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Where the heck do you live that you get a ticket if you car is unlocked when stolen?
Illinois. To be fair, it is hard to enforce because the cops can almost never prove you left your keys in the car or the car unlocked. NY has a similar law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies