Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,911,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I started a thread on this a few days ago. The situation is scary because people have always viewed their insured deposits as safe. However what most folks don't realize is that your deposits are merely loans to the banks. Sometimes loans go bad. I mean even if the Cypriots don't approve the plan folks will take their deposits out the next time the banks open. The banks in Cyprus are going to collapse.
Cyprus doesn't insure deposits and in fact its main attraction is that it doesn't report banking information to any other countries thus why it is one of the banking locations of choice for Russian mobsters, South American drug dealers, corrupt dictators, American billionaire tax cheats, and just about everyone else who is corrupt and wants to hide their ill gotten gains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,664 times
so what actually happens to all this 'expropriated' money?

where does it go, or has it already been spent anyway (and by whom?)

Old 03-18-2013, 01:31 AM

If you really are curious about that then you could try reading a news story from an actual journalism outlet. There have been several linked in this very thread so far.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The old coffee cans buried in the backyard or stuffing the old mattress may come back into vogue soon. I have a stash on hand and have for a long time. Always keep a stash "just in case". Now it may get bigger "just in case". I read where Germany actually wanted 40% and only got 9.9% of folks deposits. Only. Unbelievable.
I just got my kid convinced he should keep his money in a bank rather than in an old fishfood can under his bed. He kept insisting that the banks were going to collapse and he'd lose his money if he put it in a bank and he's probably right.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:58 AM

160 posts, read 126,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
This is really a bad idea. When people can't be sure anymore that their savings are safe, they will no longer take their money to the bank, which will ruin the economy as banks have to provide companies and people with money.
And it might set a very bad example for other trouble countries - like Portugal - where politicians are also desperately looking for additional sources of income. I transferred most of my money to my parents' account yesterday.
Interestingly, I read that it was mostly Merkel who pushed that idea, while her party announced tax cuts in Germany. They have general elections in Germany this year...
Cyprus is a haven for tax criminals from Russia and Britain, about one third of the money in Cyprian banks belongs to them. So if they feel they need to steal money from citizens in that way, they should at least limit it to foreigners.
They've decided to take from everyone, not just foreigners. BTW, Russian and British govts appreciate this step.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Each country is a separate case and I know nothing about Latvia, it is not even a PIIGS country...

Here in Portugal civil servants (not to mention employees in the private sector) are being fired, taxes have been raised considerably, the budgets of social security and most other areas have been cut, still the country is in a downward spiral. And many people have predicted that as none of those measures changes anything about the sources of the problems...
I saw a story on DW that a lot of young Portuguese people move to former African colonies because of massive unemployment in their own country.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:12 AM

Specifically it is Angola as the recent end to the 40 year long civil war along with the discovery of oil and things like Diamonds mean the economy there is growing at double digit rates. Also China has been giving Angola a huge amount of development aid in exchange for access to all that mineral wealth.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Specifically it is Angola as the recent end to the 40 year long civil war along with the discovery of oil and things like Diamonds mean the economy there is growing at double digit rates. Also China has been giving Angola a huge amount of development aid in exchange for access to all that mineral wealth.
Seems like China is already everywhere.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,664 times
so who actually benefits from this bailout - why not just go bankrupt and let society sort its own mess out?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:01 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanbrain View Post
They've decided to take from everyone, not just foreigners. BTW, Russian and British govts appreciate this step.
I don't think so. Putin has expressed his outrage about that step and the British government has said it will pay British customers of those Cypriot banks what is taken away from them. Since the Brits are not doing so well, I suppose politicians are not happy about it either, as they have more important things to spend their money on.

Foreigners have deposited 16 billion Euros on Cypriot banks, which is way more than this rescue mission is all about. So why is it fair to steal from small Cypriots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies