Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 07:00 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
I don't think you are wrong for suggesting this, however, a great chunk of that money that they plan to take belongs to foreign investors and individuals. Is it fair that they pay for the down payment?
If they are using Cyprus's lax banking laws to launder money and evade taxes why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
Sure, if you make a bad investment......but they aren't losing it in the market, the German government has decided that a percentage of their money is going to help bail out some banks. I just don't understand how some are so nonchalant regarding the fact that the government is attempting to seize money from banks, to help bail out banks. Most of the money it will acquire is not from Cypriots at all, it's from non-EU persons and corporations. I am not here screaming, "It's not fair", but rather, they don't care who pays, as long as someone pays for the ever-failing Euro. It doesn't matter if you are a part if it or not, this should set off alarm bells. My personal opinion is that if Cyprus wants the bailout, then Cypriots have to pay. Tell me this, why are British servicemen exempt from this seizure if investing in their banks is a risk?
Wrong. When you deposit money you are merely loaning the banks money. Now of course govt have instituted deposit insurance to cover depositors up to a point, hence the belief deposits are risk free. However if the government is broke I guess they can't offer insurance any longer.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Regardless of who caused the mess, bank accounts should simply be taboo. If the government wants to steal from people, they should raise taxes as usual.
That's what the Germans are demanding Cyprus do they've just decided to tax bank accounts. It's kind of like Obamacare as long as you call it a tax it's legal.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Latvia is the new Argentina (slightly wonkish) - NYTimes.com

What does it mean to be the new Argentina? It means they would have to devalue their currency and default like Argentina did, neither has happened. In fact unlike their counterparts that didn't make the tough decisions, they are now growing.

Fitch Ratings increase Latvia

Quite a contrast to the stories coming out of Cypress. Actually Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are all doing very well after not following the spend, spend, spend model.
What you produced was not a confirmation of your previous post, which claimed that Krugman "predicted bankruptcy for Latvia. [see post #46]" I said he did not and asked you to cite. What you cited was Krugman's blog where he didn't predicted bankruptcy for Latvia but said,

Quote:
We [Latvia] can’t devalue, they say, because the Latvian private sector has a lot of debts in euros, and a devaluation would make it very hard for borrowers to service those debts. As Hugh points out, the proposed alternative — sharp wage cuts, and basically a major domestic deflation — will also make it hard to service those debts. In fact, I’d be a bit more specific than Hugh: other things equal, a nominal devaluation and a real depreciation achieved through deflation should have exactly the same effect on debt service (unless some of the debt is in lats rather than euros, in which case devaluation would do less damage.)

Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What you produced was not a confirmation of your previous post, which claimed that Krugman "predicted bankruptcy for Latvia. [see post #46]" I said he did not and asked you to cite. What you cited was Krugman's blog where he didn't predicted bankruptcy for Latvia but said, "
If you are down to arguing bankruptcy as opposed to default, I'll let you win that argument.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you are down to arguing bankruptcy as opposed to default, I'll let you win that argument.
Except that Dr. Krugman wasn't arguing bankruptcy. In fact, he was pointing out their predicament, not advocating specific policy. Reading comprehension counts.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Except that Dr. Krugman wasn't arguing bankruptcy. In fact, he was pointing out their predicament, not advocating specific policy. Reading comprehension counts.
Default/bankruptcy.......Krugman was wrong. Latvia is growing.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 AM

I wonder if Cyprus will mortgage whatever assets it possesses to the Russians in perpetuity?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That's what the Germans are demanding Cyprus do they've just decided to tax bank accounts. It's kind of like Obamacare as long as you call it a tax it's legal.
No, it is not a regular tax. It's a partial one-time dispossession.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
If I were Cyprus I would offer 100 square miles of the island to the Chinese. I bet they would like to own land in the Mediterranean and be willing to pay billions for that because of the strategic value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies