Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times

Advertisements

I think we can safely say that half of all Americans are below median intelligence.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Your job sounds hard. I bet if you had to really sit down and do so you'd get the majority. Probably only missing the ones people rarely deal with.

I bet you sure as heck know what the BoR's are.

Lol
Well, it's not hard to me. I'm pretty convinced most people could learn most things if interested. So, I don't think most folk are stupid. They just don't care. Anyhow, I understand the purpose of the BoRs, the background, etc, and maybe I could get a number of them, but gov and historical trivia bores me to tears. I wish it didn't.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Interesting that so many of those items were about government. When I was in junior high in the 1970s, we lived on an Air Force base in California, and California required that all 8th-graders pass what was called the Constitution Test before going on to high school. We spent something like 6 or 8 weeks in our social studies class JUST studying the Constitution. I thought it was fascinating and got 99-point-something on the test. I can still recite the preamble ("We the people ...") from memory, and I still remember all those facts about the government.
Yep!
I graduated from 8th grade in the early 80's and it was still a requirement then
We had to get up in front of all the 8th grade class and recite the preamble,and for extra credit the Gettysburg address.
Sadly my daughter just graduated 8th grade in California,is GATE Student and probaly couldn't tell you what the Preamble is
Love Him or Hate Him Bill Maher is on the money with this one!
I work with the public from all walks of life and he's right on this one.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Sadly my daughter just graduated 8th grade in California,is GATE Student and probaly couldn't tell you what the Preamble is
Good for her. If she wasted her time with that, she may not have had time to learn what osmosis is or what a polynomial is or what foods have the least saturated fat or why aerobic exercise is good for her heart.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,787 times
more important things to worry about than government and politics.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:26 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Good for her. If she wasted her time with that, she may not have had time to learn what osmosis is or what a polynomial is or what foods have the least saturated fat or why aerobic exercise is good for her heart.
Agreed.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Good Point

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Bill Maher challenges the idea that the US is a smart country on Fox News. After being called a pinhead by Bill O'Reilly, he comes back with a defense of his statement by referencing some interesting statistics.

Lol! Bill O'Reilly? The same Bill O'Reilly who said earth is the only planet that has a moon?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,300,531 times
I don't really interact with anyone that fits the anti-intellectual stereotype. Granted, I am in academia and most of my close friends have graduate or professional degrees, but I still do a lot of regular guy stuff. For example, my friends from my softball team also enjoy bar trivia, and I have yet to be paired with anyone, at the skeet range of all places, that is not interested in a variety of interesting topics such as history, politics, and science. I hear the guys that loiter around and smoke at the tobacco shop discussing the possibilities of 3D printing and speculating about intellectual property issues. When waiting in the doctor's office, I had a nice conversation with an older woman about the pros and cons of chlorine vs. the alternatives in home swimming pools. When I walk my dog downtown and strike up a conversation with random guys hanging out on their stoops, they seem generally interested in many things. I don't think I walk away from a conversation thinking "that person is dumb" more than once every two months or so. My contact with anyone that is as 'stupid' as Bill Maher's statistics suggest is certainly very rare.

My question is, where are all the stupid people hiding? My guess is that they are not stupid just poor. Not poor like a broke college student, but poor in that they don't have anything and no one in their family and no one they associate with and no one that cares about them has anything either. Average CD posters don't see them and may not even know they exist. The information age and the internet and such are great things and transformative and everything, but a good portion of the country are not able to participate.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Well, it's not hard to me. I'm pretty convinced most people could learn most things if interested. So, I don't think most folk are stupid. They just don't care.
To be disinterested and not caring is just plain stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies