Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,481,251 times

Advertisements

"A teenager who was shot and killed in Sterling, Virginia over the weekend may have accidentally entered the wrong home after a night of drinking."

Drunk teen shot and killed after friends drop him at wrong house | The Raw Story

Why can't the parents be responsible for their LACK of parenting? Why was your kid out drinking?

Shawn Gordley, Caleb's father, said on Twitter Monday evening that: "I was just informed that Caleb & his friend hopped the fence into the wrong backyard. They both thought it was my house. Caleb then climbed through an UNLOKCED window and staggered up the staircase that is identical to mine."

Viva Loudoun: News: Teenager Identified in Fatal Sterling Shooting as 16-Year-old Park View Junior Who Lived on Same Street

Father looks to be blaming the "unlocked" window already.

I wish things like this didnt happen, but why Shawn Gordley, was your son out drinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
"A teenager who was shot and killed in Sterling, Virginia over the weekend may have accidentally entered the wrong home after a night of drinking."

Drunk teen shot and killed after friends drop him at wrong house | The Raw Story

Why can't the parents be responsible for their LACK of parenting? Why was your kid out drinking?

Shawn Gordley, Caleb's father, said on Twitter Monday evening that: "I was just informed that Caleb & his friend hopped the fence into the wrong backyard. They both thought it was my house. Caleb then climbed through an UNLOKCED window and staggered up the staircase that is identical to mine."

Viva Loudoun: News: Teenager Identified in Fatal Sterling Shooting as 16-Year-old Park View Junior Who Lived on Same Street

Father looks to be blaming the "unlocked" window already.

I wish things like this didnt happen, but why Shawn Gordley, was your son out drinking?
Or maybe he's clearing the air so strangers don't think his son was a thief and deserved to get shot?

Nah... he's probably just looking to blame the window.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
And why was he entering through "any" window at 2:30am on Sunday morning?

Also, his dad said the window was open but the alarm went off.....

Sad this happened, I feel for the family and other friends.......

Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And why was he entering through "any" window at 2:30am on Sunday morning?

Also, his dad said the window was open but the alarm went off.....

Sad this happened, I feel for the family and other friends.......

No one leaves their windows unlocked in Sterling, VA. Sterling is the "armpit" of Loudoun County.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,286 times
That is an unfortunate story. I am certain the home owner doesn't feel good about this either.

As to being a responsible parent: Blaming a "lack of parenting" is an easy cop-out. The kid was grounded for not cleaning his room - which should tell you that there were consequences for his actions. How many parents do you know that will ground their kids for such a trivial thing? What else is a parent to do? Chain kids to the bed? Stay awake all night? Put motion detectors around the house? Even the best kids make dumb decision and many teens will sneak out regardless of the strictness of their parents.

And what it is with this ridiculous assigning of blame:

The kid was probably a burglar.
The parents didn't do their job.
The parents try to blame others.
The shooting home owner is a crazy gut nut.

And whatever else can be found here and in other comment sections.

Sometimes, unfortunate events simply happen. To good and normal people. Is that such a difficult concept to understand these days?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
I don't see the dad blaming the window. I see where the article misspelled and capitalized unlocked but I dunno. I'm betting there is more to this story.

Does the dad routinely leave his windows unlocked? Maybe it was a huge coincidence and the kid just happened to unlock the window in his house that ended up being unlocked in the other house?

I dont know, but sneaking out and getting drunk happens every night and has for decades.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
There is no good side about this tragedy.

File under "crap happens".

Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
That is an unfortunate story. I am certain the home owner doesn't feel good about this either.

As to being a responsible parent: Blaming a "lack of parenting" is an easy cop-out. The kid was grounded for not cleaning his room - which should tell you that there were consequences for his actions. How many parents do you know that will ground their kids for such a trivial thing? What else is a parent to do? Chain kids to the bed? Stay awake all night? Put motion detectors around the house? Even the best kids make dumb decision and many teens will sneak out regardless of the strictness of their parents.

And what it is with this ridiculous assigning of blame:

The kid was probably a burglar.
The parents didn't do their job.
The parents try to blame others.
The shooting home owner is a crazy gut nut.

And whatever else can be found here and in other comment sections.

Sometimes, unfortunate events simply happen. To good and normal people. Is that such a difficult concept to understand these days?
A responsible parent would not have their teen kid out drinking at 2 am.

I knew better growing up. My parents made sure I knew better. They also assured me that if I ever did get in a bind, to call them. I didnt matter what the situation was.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
A responsible parent would not have their teen kid out drinking at 2 am.

I knew better growing up. My parents made sure I knew better. They also assured me that if I ever did get in a bind, to call them. I didnt matter what the situation was.
Yeah... let's just skip past the part where everyone knows you're lying and get to your story about how you were a perfect angel growing up who never broke any rules...

Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't see the dad blaming the window. I see where the article misspelled and capitalized unlocked but I dunno. I'm betting there is more to this story.

Does the dad routinely leave his windows unlocked? Maybe it was a huge coincidence and the kid just happened to unlock the window in his house that ended up being unlocked in the other house?

I dont know, but sneaking out and getting drunk happens every night and has for decades.
The article quoted the fathers tweet. Father capitalized it.

In my house, we all had keys to the door. When growing up, we still had keys to the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies