Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:48 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Warning shots are illegal in Virginia...

We shoot to kill here. Stay the **** out of my house and I won't shoot you.

That's a fair deal...

But but but, I was drunk, our houses looked alike, it was 2:30am, dark outside, the window was open, even though the alarm was going off, and joe biden said it was o.k. to fire in the air........but but butttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 04:50 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
But but but, I was drunk, our houses looked alike, it was 2:30am, dark outside, the window was open, even though the alarm was going off, but but butttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttt

Funny thing is the houses look NOTHING alike.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
A responsible parent would not have their teen kid out drinking at 2 am.

I knew better growing up. My parents made sure I knew better. They also assured me that if I ever did get in a bind, to call them. I didnt matter what the situation was.
I have to disagree with this a "little bit". Teens do sneak out at 2 a.m. and parents are sleeping, so I don't blame the parents. (realist here).

Teens have sex (raise your hand if you did as a teen) and your parents never found out (hopefully)

Teens sneak a cigarette to see what it feels like.

Teens try soft pills (prescription) to see if they get an effect...

Teens do ALOT of things that their parents might never find out about. Because the parent did not know, does not make them a BAD parent.

Most of us are responsible parents here on this forum. But a Teen is like a bull, they get their mind to doing things and sometimes you can't stop them. You would have to shackle them to know what they do 24 hours a day.

I know some parents are saying, "Oh, My kid never did that!" What you don't know, can haunt you.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:09 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,293 times
Parents forgive shooter.

http://m.nbcwashington.com/nbcwashin...tguid=bzQe52kK

This is how decent people react. And Virginians.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:01 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Sterling Va is local to me and people are talking about this incident. A gal at work related a recent incident with her and her daughter...her daughter was picking her up at the airport in her recently acquired black SUV.

Mom came out of the airport and thought she saw her daughter's car in the line, so she ran over and jumped in the front passenger door. To her horror, when she looked over, there was a strange man behind the wheel. She apologized profusely and got back out....her daughter thought the whole thing was hysterical.

Now mom is wondering how close she came to being shot to death. I think the law regards vehicles differently than homes...but how many thousands of fatal carjackings have occurred? The guy could say he feared for his life and opened fire.

Now she's actually stressing over her potentially close encounter with death. I tried to soothe her nerves by telling her that the guy probably thought he'd died and went to heaven when she jumped into his car (she is THAT gorgeous)....

Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 PM

642 posts, read 1,114,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Your going to equate a guy sitting on his couch AWAKE, to a guy being rudely awakened at 2:30am with the alarm going off and finds a 6ft figure standing on his stairwell....with your story....

My god, you lefties are trying hard to make this the home owners fault....why is that?
I wasn't trying to make a case as to whose fault it was, I was just sharing a personal anecdote, because this situation reminded me of what had happened to me. Obviously the circumstances in the story were different than mine.

And I'm just one person, not a group of people, so please only address me and stop with the tired 'you lefties' stuff. I know it's hard, you've been programmed into thinking everyone falls into either side of two-dimensioal politics, but please realize that some people are capable of independent thought.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
I wasn't trying to make a case as to whose fault it was, I was just sharing a personal anecdote, because this situation reminded me of what had happened to me. Obviously the circumstances in the story were different than mine.
Yea, just like reid did not try to make a political statement with the Marines and sequester....

Quote:
And I'm just one person, not a group of people, so please only address me and stop with the tired 'you lefties' stuff.
Nope, the ONLY way I will even think about that is if you say the same thing in other threads about lefties painting righties with a broad brush....you willing to take that bet?

Quote:
I know it's hard, you've been programmed into thinking everyone falls into either side of two-dimensioal politics, but please realize that some people are capable of independent thought.
Oh, I am very capable of thinking for myself, however, you are programmed just like a leftie, going off the deep end or going straight to the most extreme, here is one of your posts in this very thread.

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, not in the eyes of like-minded killers who act in rage with a lynch mob mentality and rope in hand.
You sound like you are able to think for yourself and NEVER follow anything that that left says or does, like going to the most extreme point of any view.....naw...you would never do that....

Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why are there so many stupid homeowners whose first action is to shoot an intruder dead? Why couldn't the homeowner have fired a warning shot, and told him to leave? I'm sure this homeowner's life is ruined forever now. Yay! a teenager makes a mistake, and dies for it. You can all cheer!

warning shots are for the people that like to be killed. I would never fire a warning shot either. the only warning you have if you break into my home is when the 1st 2 rounds go into your chest.

this adult was breaking and entering and he paid the price with his life.

also, is most states, firing a warning shot is illegal, but I didnt expect you to know that.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why not give it a split second to find that out? Believe it or not there are not that many strangers breaking into people's homes in order to kill them. In fact, that's mighty rare. If someone is doing that they probably know the victim, and have some beef with them, as in a drug deal gone bad, or domestic violence. The chances of some random serial killer-type person who just breaks into peoples homes to kill them, that is very very rare.

So we know that the vast majority of home intruders, probably around 99.9 % are burglars who want to steal your property. If you shoot into the air, it is highly likely they will flee. Why not do that, since the risk of it being some psycho-killer is very remote? Why this blood-lust to kill?
So, you're a betting man eh?

By your very sound stats, there is only a .1% chance that the guy standing in your house, at 2 am, with your burgular alarm going off (which means the police will be there in 5 to 30 minutes) wants to kill you. So feel free to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Just don't expect a cop to give you the same leeway. If a cop tells you to freeze and you keep coming towards him, expect a bullet, or two.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 AM

15,096 posts, read 8,643,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post

On what do you base that this is the most likely scenario?
On crime statistics from the FBI .. and on basic common sense of the variety one requires to tie their shoes.

According to crime data, over 2 Million home invasions/burglaries occur annually, which roughly equates to 3.8 invasions-burglaries PER MINUTE ... every hour, 24x7, 365 days a year.

Now just how many drunk 16 year olds do you think climb into the widows of the wrong houses every day?

Jesus Key Reist, some of you people are really thick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies