Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:41 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times

Advertisements

I wonder why someone would arm their burglar alarm and then leave the windows unlocked. I would seem to me that locking entrance points would be the first line of defense, then the alarm.

To the poster that said Sterling is an "armpit"....not 100% true. The part of Sterling west of Rt 7 is very nice. You should see what these houses in question look like.....$500K+ McMansions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post

I wish things like this didnt happen, but why Shawn Gordley, was your son out drinking?
I can't wait to hear all the excuses about how you can't possibly watch a teenager every minute.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-19-2013, 06:34 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Actually I was referring to the criminals, not the gun-owners. I don't care about gun-owners, but about their potential victims. When you watch those crime programs, as tens of millions regularly do, you get the impression that there are lots of psychopaths, killers, etc. lurking everywhere just waiting to kill you for no reason. And that is nonsense in my view...
What is in bold above ladies and gentleman is a leftist stating what they would like to achieve.

Gun owners are bad, and a CRIMINAL who is already in your house (because they broke in) is not the problem, only the gun owner.

So sad, but typical leftist....

Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,969,227 times
Agreed. I understand you can't know everything, but this is beyond acceptable. Sounds like a lot of heads were turned the other way in the name of great football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I can't wait to hear all the excuses about how you can't possibly watch a teenager every minute.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I wonder why someone would arm their burglar alarm and then leave the windows unlocked. I would seem to me that locking entrance points would be the first line of defense, then the alarm.
Not sure I would take the word of a person who just lost their child about "how the house was."

You should also learn a little bit about alarms, they have motion sensors they are able to set, just in case you have dogs up to a certain weight, that are able to roam at night, however, they detect something larger than the dog (the system is set to provide a weight ratio or something like that) the alarm goes off.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:11 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not sure I would take the word of a person who just lost their child about "how the house was."

You should also learn a little bit about alarms, they have motion sensors they are able to set, just in case you have dogs up to a certain weight, that are able to roam at night, however, they detect something larger than the dog (the system is set to provide a weight ratio or something like that) the alarm goes off.

Mine won't arm if any doors or windows are unlocked....its' a high-end system.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 PM

5,662 posts, read 5,092,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Your property is not worth someone's life.
To me it is. I worked hard for it. The statement here should be directed towards the thief: "The property you intend to steal from another is not worth losing your life over."

And when someone had entered my home in such a way, how do I know what their intentions are? By the time I find out, it could be too late.

I keep my weapon loaded and accessible. The burden of showing intent is on the person entering my house, not on me to determine what it may be. Decent well-intentioned folks knock or ring the bell, wait to be recognized, enter through the front or back door and are greeted as they do. Other methods of entry, to me at least, paint a target on their chest.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Yes, even though it doesn't require you to watch them every minute. You really only need to be watching a few minutes around the time you told them to be home and make sure they are home when you told them to be.

And today with cell phones parenting is much easier, if they are going to be 10 minutes late, they can call you, and of course you can also call them. Too many kids have absolutely no rules at all, and you have to wonder who is providing the alcohol to them in the first place.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Every year there are people, who end up shooting their own spouses or kids when they enter the house at night. I still think since most intruders are not likely to be psycho-killers, as long as you keep your distance, and shout from behind a closed door, you have a better chance of scaring off an intruder than having to engage him in gun fire. You are safest of all, not venturing out of you hear of an intruder. After all the goal is your safety, not retribution.
That's why it's also good to have a dog. A dog's barking will tell you if it's family, friend or foe. You really aren't safe just letting a criminal wander about your house, especially if you have kids in another room while you're cowering in your room.

Most intruders who break in while you are in the house are home-invaders and are actually extremely dangerous. A burglar who makes sure no one is home when he robs it might not be extremely dangerous but you cannot assume that someone breaking into an occupied home is a good guy. Chances are they will kill you if they find you.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Mine won't arm if any doors or windows are unlocked....its' a high-end system.
Well, I have ADT and have the ability to bypass every single window or door sensor in my house and still set the alarm, which activates the motion detectors....

Maybe you do not have the awesome system you think you do...

Quote:
Bypassing Zones
Use the zone bypassing feature when you need access to
a protected area while the system is armed, or when a
zone is temporarily out of service,
but you need to arm the system. Bypassed zones will not be able to sound an
alarm. Bypassing zones reduces the level of security. If yo
u are bypassing a zone because it is not working, call a
service technician immediately so that
the problem can be resolved and your
system returned to proper working
order. Ensure that no zones are unintentionally bypassed when arming your system.
Zones cannot be bypassed once the sy
stem is armed. Bypassed zones are au
tomatically cancelled each time the
system is disarmed and must be bypassed ag
ain, if required, before the next arming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies