Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:34 PM

511 posts, read 491,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Those examples are more about ignorance than stupidity, and I wouldn't use those examples as a rubric for determining what is and isn't important to know. I'm of the opinion that the populace should be more informed IRT maths/sciences from technology to medicine to our own physiology and adequate nutrition since we utilize these things every day and being uninformed enables a culture of depedence.
Ha...I'm sure they'll learn all that stuff too. LMFAO

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I still maintain that being disinterested and uncaring about your milieu and how it affects you and those around you is stupid.
I am very aware of what is going on around me. Not only in my home, but in my community, my state, my country and the world.

Just because I don't give a rat's patootie about the happenings in DC or around the world does not mean I am uncaring or stupid. Again, it means simply that I am not interested in what goes on in the wide, wide world.

Life in my neck of the woods will go on whether I worry about the world or not.

And, yes, it is my opinion. And I am happy with it.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
My opinion of Bill Maher just went down a few notches. .... Not that I gave a cr*p about him before that anyway.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Just because I don't give a rat's patootie about the happenings in DC or around the world does not mean I am uncaring or stupid. Again, it means simply that I am not interested in what goes on in the wide, wide world.
I never mentioned politics or DC. I meant it in the general sense...much like when another poster said people are insane for not bothering to learn what's in their food or medication or basic biology.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,925,643 times
I think a lot of people don't care about government or these topics because they don't feel that they have the power to do anything about it. If you don't feel empowered or you feel that anything you do won't really change anything, you have little motivation to learn or retain this type of information.

And really, you can't blame people for not feeling empowered. A republic doesn't work so well with a country our size. And grassroots organizations are hard to come by in many places, or they are poorly organized. And many people have no clue how to do direct, grassroots, democratic methods to change things without support...and that support doesn't exist in many areas of the country.

It also doesn't help that corporations own most of the media as well as the government these days.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Personally, I think Bill Maher is stupid. Or maybe I should say, he's not half as smart as he thinks he is.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:53 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,854 times
Bill Maher says some stupid **** and spreads some horrifying myths around as facts, but this time he's right. Most Americans are stupid/ignorant, half the country is republican (which is ironic, considering a lot of republicans are poor and benefit in some shape or form from "entitlements.") and more than half of the country believes in a imaginary, narcissistic, vengeful and selfish deity.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I never mentioned politics or DC. I meant it in the general sense...much like when another poster said people are insane for not bothering to learn what's in their food or medication or basic biology.

Okay. Sorry about that.

However, I am informed about the food I eat and the medications I take. I have diabetes, so I know what goes inside me.

Biology was/is one of my favorite subjects. If I had a 'life do-over' I would become a surgeon, quite possibly in the reproductive field. (No, there is no way I can do so now!)

I mentioned politics because the questions asked in the OP were mostly about said subject.
If I had to take the citizenship test to become a US citizen I would fail miserably. That is all information that I memorized and soon forgot.

Thankfully we are all not alike in our thoughts or abilities. What a boring world that would be.

I do agree with you that people should become more aware of life around them and what they do to impact themselves and that world. However, it is not up to either of us to tell someone what they 'should' learn.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Bill Maher challenges the idea that the US is a smart country on Fox News. After being called a pinhead by Bill O'Reilly, he comes back with a defense of his statement by referencing some interesting statistics.

Only 24% do know not which country America fought in the American Revolutionary War

More than 50% can not name a single branch of government

More than 50% do not know what is the bill of rights

Roughly 66% do not know what Food and Drug Administration does

Half of Americans do not know how many senators each state has

But the news isn't all bad, there are some signs of hope

Half were able to figure out which came first Judaism or Christianity.

and only 18% believe that the Sun revolves around the earth

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think?

Bill Maher : most Americans are Dumb and Uneducated - And he is 110% right, as always - YouTube

Yes, I agree that Bill Maher is stupid, and should be required to go back to public school starting at 1st grade.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 AM

306 posts, read 758,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Most Americans are stupid/ignorant, half the country is republican (which is ironic, considering a lot of republicans are poor and benefit in some shape or form from "entitlements.").
Wow, you're included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies