Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm not going to stoop to making it personal. If you wish to continue in that vein, have at it. I'm not playing.
You are playing. You initially quoted my post. Grow up and learn that when you call others stupid it only makes you appear stupid.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Colorado XXXX I don't think we Americans "bought into" the Iraq War at all. It was shoved down our throats by W Bush and his gang.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Without a doubt are Americans stupid. All Americans are concerned with anymore is being taken care of by someone other than themselves so they have more time to consume more brain-dead media.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,583,499 times
51% of American voters are stupid.... . That was proven 4.5 months ago.....

Okay, on a serious note. People don't even bother to learn or remember some of those topics, they just google it when they need to. There have been studies on that.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
My question is "If they aren't teaching and reinforcing the basics (reading, writing, math, science, history) in schools today,what the hell ARE they teaching?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:36 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
If an interviewer came up to me and asked me to list the bill of rights I would get some of it, but not all of it. Further, an ability to recite it would not lend to a conclusion of intelligence or stupidity. Although, that's not necessarily the same thing as not knowing what the bill of rights are.
Possibly. However, these same people who consider themselves intelligent and cannot answer some simple basic questions, such as their states capital, etc can sure as hell recite to you the last 5 American Idol winners, including their dates of birth and home towns.

They could tell you what was on The Kardashian's, everything about Paris Hilton, and tons of other inane and worthless junk.

However, ask them one question about ANYTHING which effects their day to day lives, their retirement, their so called "civil rights," their anything and its, "Huh? What? Who? Wait. Where we going this weekend? Is that a new reality show?"

Like it or not, in GENERAL, American's ARE stupid when it comes to IMPORTANT issues. They couldn't think themselves out of a wet brown paper bag. Worthless, meaningless garbage, and hell, they could win a Gold Medal.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
My question is "If they aren't teaching and reinforcing the basics (reading, writing, math, science, history) in schools today,what the hell ARE they teaching?
I saw a news article today about a young student's answer on a math test. The content of the article was fine, but the real thing that stuck with me was the question that he was asked. It was something like "20-13=7. Write a story about how 20-13=7." So there's a math teacher out there that doesn't test the kids on the calculation, but instead wants the kids to write a story about math.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Possibly. However, these same people who consider themselves intelligent and cannot answer some simple basic questions, such as their states capital, etc can sure as hell recite to you the last 5 American Idol winners, including their dates of birth and home towns.

They could tell you what was on The Kardashian's, everything about Paris Hilton, and tons of other inane and worthless junk.

However, ask them one question about ANYTHING which effects their day to day lives, their retirement, their so called "civil rights," their anything and its, "Huh? What? Who? Wait. Where we going this weekend? Is that a new reality show?"

Like it or not, in GENERAL, American's ARE stupid when it comes to IMPORTANT issues. They couldn't think themselves out of a wet brown paper bag. Worthless, meaningless garbage, and hell, they could win a Gold Medal.
It's really no different for most people. For example, I happen to think people are insane for not knowing/understanding how their bodies biochemically function, how the drugs they consume work, how the foods they consume are digested and metabolized, etc. People are unable to read nutrition labels. People believe in astrology and deities, but are unable to produce their own clean water if needed, generate energy, heck just survive. I know my fair share of people who think they are smart because they know their social studies, but they are dependents to the nth degree in every way possible.

Anyhow, stupid to me is more about an inability to learn. I know that being educated enables critical thinking to a greater degree, so I won't entirely dismiss the argument to ignorance, but I'm also not going to buy into a clown, which is what Maher is (even tho I do enjoy him), dictating the criteria of intelligence or stupidity.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I 100% agree.

Most people are dumb as rocks.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM

361 posts, read 748,323 times
Bill Maher calling ANYONE stupid is somewhat akin to a tree calling a forest green.

That being said, I agree with him. First time ever. People of this nation ARE stupid. Have you ever seen Jay Leno asking the simplest of questions of ordinary people on the street? It is laughable how stupid people really are in every day life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies