Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, I find that highly hypocritical too... I never drink alcohol (except maybe on Passover or at a wedding), but I'm the "loser" because I'll smoke a joint after a hard day's work? Whatever. Less than 100 years ago THEY would have been the criminal, all for enjoying a beer on their own time - so the whole thing is rather silly, if you ask me. Adults should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies, as long as it's not directly harming another person IMO.

Amen! I had a dear friend who suffered from brain cancer, and during his numerous chemo sessions & treatments, the ONLY way he could eat was to smoke pot first... he was one of the first medical marijuana patients I knew, and actually had it sent directly to his home from the government. Unfortunately he passed away in 2009, but I honestly believe the pot prolonged & improved those final years (he lived with the cancer for over a decade).

He had such a great sense of humor even with his illness - still remember when I saw him at my sister's wedding, he ran up and declared "You know what the best part of having cancer is? Free government weed!!" :*)
It's silly and crazy isn't it? Alcohol makes people nuts, yet alcoholism and overuse of alcohol is permitted, while pot isn't. Makes no sense to me. Folks that smoke are more laid back and relaxed than ordinary people. Meanwhile alkys are total wackos.

I think pot should be a standard prescription for anyone suffering from cancer. It prolongs life as it continues to allow them to continue to eat. It's a definite blessing.

My first husband used to say that when in doubt about something, look for the bottom line - see who is making money out of the problem. I just looked up the lobbies lobbying against pot, and here they are- the ones that stand to lose money if pot is legalized. 1) Cops, 2) alcohol companies, 3) drug companies, 4) prison private corporations.

Quote:
1.) Police Unions: Police departments across the country have become dependent on federal drug war grants to finance their budget. In March, we published a story revealing that a police union lobbyist in California coordinated the effort to defeat Prop 19, a ballot measure in 2010 to legalize marijuana, while helping his police department clients collect tens of millions in federal marijuana-eradication grants. And it’s not just in California. Federal lobbying disclosures show that other police union lobbyists have pushed for stiffer penalties for marijuana-related crimes nationwide.

2.) Private Prisons Corporations: Private prison corporations make millions by incarcerating people who have been imprisoned for drug crimes, including marijuana. As Republic Report’s Matt Stoller noted last year, Corrections Corporation of America, one of the largest for-profit prison companies, revealed in a regulatory filing that continuing the drug war is part in parcel to their business strategy. Prison companies have spent millions bankrolling pro-drug war politicians and have used secretive front groups, like the American Legislative Exchange Council, to pass harsh sentencing requirements for drug crimes.

3.) Alcohol and Beer Companies: Fearing competition for the dollars Americans spend on leisure, alcohol and tobacco interests have lobbied to keep marijuana out of reach. For instance, the California Beer & Beverage Distributors contributed campaign contributions to a committee set up to prevent marijuana from being legalized and taxed.

4.) Pharmaceutical Corporations: Like the sin industries listed above, pharmaceutical interests would like to keep marijuana illegal so American don’t have the option of cheap medical alternatives to their products. Howard Wooldridge, a retired police officer who now lobbies the government to relax marijuana prohibition laws, told Republic Report that next to police unions, the “second biggest opponent on Capitol Hill is big PhRMA” because marijuana can replace “everything from Advil to Vicodin and other expensive pills.”

5.) Prison Guard Unions: Prison guard unions have a vested interest in keeping people behind bars just like for-profit prison companies. In 2008, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association spent a whopping $1 million to defeat a measure that would have “reduced sentences and parole times for nonviolent drug offenders while emphasizing drug treatment over prison.”

The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal | Republic Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's the same thing. These people get hooked on weed when they are kids, just kids, and it becomes their permanent lifestlye. It DID ruin my friends' lives, they quit school or quit their future plans and got involved with wrong people. It happened quickly. We used to drink a little for fun as kids do but it wasn't until the pot came in that they lost their direction. That became all they talked about or wanted to do. Go in the basement and smoke, talk about different types of weed, play the guitar, smoke some more, oh nice bong, let's go to the head shop... To this day they are stoners and they look and talk stoned all the time and have slow reactions. They also look old.

I'm not against legalization but don't call the drug benign.
The drug is far more benign than alcohol.

As for your friend, people quit school and abandon future plans constantly, without pot. You're assuming that your friend(s) would never have quit school or abandoned future plans, when people do that routinely in life.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 AM

990 posts, read 939,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The agruments againsts cigs is that it causes lung cancer, emphysema, heart issues, it stinks, etc. Can the exact same things not be said about pot? I've never smoked either, so I don't know, but cigarettes are socially unacceptable, yet pot is socially cool. Why? Thanks
Pot does not cause those things because it is not mixed with chemicals, additives and other stuff. Plus, most people smoke it without paper being wrapped around it. The lung issues are also only a function of the method in which pot is consumed, as vaporization and edibles cause no lung problems. Cigarettes also cause a much more permanent smell and they harm the air of others. Pot's smell does not linger if there is air circulation and people do not die from the secondhand smoke of pot smokers. Plus, pot smokers don't smoke 24+ joints in a day like Cigarette users do.

Tobacco is socially cool, cigarettes are not. Tobacco is smoked at hookah bars all over the place and those places are quite trendy and popular these days.

That's the difference. Cigarettes do have a coolness to them too...and many men have a fetish for women smoking cigarettes, so it's not completely taboo.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Pot does not cause those things because it is not mixed with chemicals, additives and other stuff. Plus, most people smoke it without paper being wrapped around it. The lung issues are also only a function of the method in which pot is consumed, as vaporization and edibles cause no lung problems. Cigarettes also cause a much more permanent smell and they harm the air of others. Pot's smell does not linger if there is air circulation and people do not die from the secondhand smoke of pot smokers. Plus, pot smokers don't smoke 24+ joints in a day like Cigarette users do.

Tobacco is socially cool, cigarettes are not. Tobacco is smoked at hookah bars all over the place and those places are quite trendy and popular these days.

That's the difference. Cigarettes do have a coolness to them too...and many men have a fetish for women smoking cigarettes, so it's not completely taboo.
That's true. People don't smoke 2 packs of joints a day. Also, I just googled eating pot, and apparently people can cook it in foods and not even have to smoke it. Cigarettes you have to smoke.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
It's silly and crazy isn't it? Alcohol makes people nuts, yet alcoholism and overuse of alcohol is permitted, while pot isn't. Makes no sense to me. Folks that smoke are more laid back and relaxed than ordinary people. Meanwhile alkys are total wackos.

I think pot should be a standard prescription for anyone suffering from cancer. It prolongs life as it continues to allow them to continue to eat. It's a definite blessing.

My first husband used to say that when in doubt about something, look for the bottom line - see who is making money out of the problem. I just looked up the lobbies lobbying against pot, and here they are- the ones that stand to lose money if pot is legalized. 1) Cops, 2) alcohol companies, 3) drug companies, 4) prison private corporations.

It's funny... I drink (beer only hard liquor makes me sick) but I agree that alcohol can make people nuts. As a former DJ, I've seen it first hand, and get leary around folks who drink too much, especially if I'm not drinking. I'd love to see an experiment one of these days; Let's take 10-15 people and give them a room full of all of the booze that they can consume, and then give them a hot political topic to discuss. Let's take another 10-15 stoners and give them a room full of all of the pot that they can smoke (or eat, or vape...whatever) and give them the same hot topic. Which control group will become loud, obnoxious, and potentially come to blows first? My money is on the room full of people with all of the booze.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It's funny... I drink (beer only hard liquor makes me sick) but I agree that alcohol can make people nuts. As a former DJ, I've seen it first hand, and get leary around folks who drink too much, especially if I'm not drinking. I'd love to see an experiment one of these days; Let's take 10-15 people and give them a room full of all of the booze that they can consume, and then give them a hot political topic to discuss. Let's take another 10-15 stoners and give them a room full of all of the pot that they can smoke (or eat, or vape...whatever) and give them the same hot topic. Which control group will become loud, obnoxious, and potentially come to blows first? My money is on the room full of people with all of the booze.
Agreed! No doubt. People who drink get aggressive, act stupid, and can even (if the situation is just right), kill others.

Pot? Pot makes people peaceful, makes people marvel at programs on TV, makes people get pretty happy with other people, and makes people get hungry as hell. Food always disappears around people smoking (or eating?) pot. lol

Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Agreed! No doubt. People who drink get aggressive, act stupid, and can even (if the situation is just right), kill others.

Pot? Pot makes people peaceful, makes people marvel at programs on TV, makes people get pretty happy with other people, and makes people get hungry as hell. Food always disappears around people smoking (or eating?) pot. lol

As Robin Williams said on one of his stand up routines... Surgeon Generals Warning: Marijuana makes music sound more..... awesome! Yes, even Yanni! There is some truth to that. I'm sure a lot of our musical artist's creativity was inspired by marijuana. The problems comes when the other drugs like alcohol, cocaine, and heroin fell into the equation. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not proposing banning anything, because I believe in personal choice, but too many people have drank the "Reefer Madness" kool aide for too long, if they honestly think that alcohol is safer than pot!

Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
As Robin Williams said on one of his stand up routines... Surgeon Generals Warning: Marijuana makes music sound more..... awesome! Yes, even Yanni! There is some truth to that. I'm sure a lot of our musical artist's creativity was inspired by marijuana. The problems comes when the other drugs like alcohol, cocaine, and heroin fell into the equation. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not proposing banning anything, because I believe in personal choice, but too many people have drank the "Reefer Madness" kool aide for too long, if they honestly think that alcohol is safer than pot!
ROFL! Yes, even Yanni!

You're right about creativity and pot. Meanwhile, on alcohol you can't be creative. Hell, on alcohol people can barely even get their jeans up right after going to the bathroom. The crap one sees happening at bars because of alcohol is the source of all those movies in which you see people doing really f'd up stuff. Alcohol is f'd up. Marijuana enhances the mind and is peaceful.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
I`ve always been amused with the "pot is the gateway drug to whatever" nonsense.I`m pretty sure that a hard drug addict will tell you that their first buzz came from beer.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
ROFL! Yes, even Yanni!

You're right about creativity and pot. Meanwhile, on alcohol you can't be creative. Hell, on alcohol people can barely even get their jeans up right after going to the bathroom. The crap one sees happening at bars because of alcohol is the source of all those movies in which you see people doing really f'd up stuff. Alcohol is f'd up. Marijuana enhances the mind and is peaceful.
Yes! I admit that I drink but I try to stick to wine and beer as I usually end up getting sick or feeling terrible with migraines and stomach problems for the entire day afterwards when I drink anything else. The things we do to our bodies .

I've often thought that we should have marijuana cafes here in The US instead of bar after bar after bar. People could chill out on comfortable sofas and chairs, listen to good music, eat great food, socialize and smoke! Ahhh I can't wait to visit Amsterdam!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies