Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy'sWife View Post
Personally people who kill others don't deserve to have due process, they gave up their rights as soon as they pulled the trigger. Hasan didn't give the others their rights when he was about to shoot. So what now smarty pants? When people join the American Army, they're supposed to be on our side.
I didn't realize prosecutors get every murder case 100% correct every time without any chance of a false conviction... EVER. Give me a break. We have due process for a reason. We aren't some 17th century Puritan society where it's automatically ok to 'justly' murder someone because rumor had it that they were engaged in witchcraft. Puhleeze.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 PM

193 posts, read 340,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Why should it be categorized as a terrorist act? What benefit would that bring?
Not much after the fact. Beforehand, though it enables more proactive authority. It has to do more with hysteria over that buzzword.

Army judge is doing it right, he should be tried for murder and given the death penalty. It´s shooting Fish in a barrel. A guilty plea changes.

He was part of the Armed forces just like Timothy McVeigh, so some of you need to settle down.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 PM

193 posts, read 340,181 times
Quote:
Hasan didn't give the others their rights when he was about to shoot. So what now smarty pants? When people join the American Army, they're supposed to be on our side.
Most murders don´t give any rights to their victims.

You seem pretty smart, so what do you think about people who join the military who think Texas should secede? I served with a few soldiers like that and they also weren´t worth a damn during gunfights. Do you think we should have special prosecution authority over them?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 PM

770 posts, read 1,796,983 times
Quote:
So I read an article this morning about Nidal Hasan not allowed to plead guilty. Here's a link to the article.

Nidal Hasan Can't Plead Guilty: Judge Won't Let Fort Hood Suspect Enter Guilty Plea

It's really sad, that the victims that were affected cannot receive purple heart, or medical compensation. And the family that lost that unborn child can't get them back either. He needs to be blind folded put up against a wall and shot with a bullet dipped in pigs blood and wrapped in bacon.
I agree. As a veteran who is against the death penalty, when I heard about this incident, I pushed aside my anti-death penalty views and felt like in this particular incident, this guy deserved the death penalty. To be honest, as a formal naval officer myself, I can't believe this guy even made it to the rank that he was when he committed these heinous acts.

The victims should have most definitely received the purple heart because, even though they were not in a war zone at the time, they did die in service to their country and their families should receive some compensation for the actions of this terrorist.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
The death penalty is on it's way out. Good riddens I say.
We hope that you don't feel guilty the next time you hear about a murderer, who might have been deterred by a death penalty.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:14 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
We hope that you don't feel guilty the next time you hear about a murderer, who might have been deterred by a death penalty.
I didn't realize most murderers think to their selves, "Wait wait wait! Could I possibly get a death penalty for this murder?" before they murder.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Why should it be categorized as a terrorist act?
See below. This was all over the news.

Quote:
Hasan yelled "Allahu Akbar" then started shooting. That phrase means "God is greater." Muslims use that phrase while engaged in Jihad - which usually entails the murder of innocent non-Muslims.
See also: Nidal Hasan, Fort Hood Shooter: Lone-Wolf Terrorism? - TIME

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/03/20/j...terror-expert/

NPR even called it a terrorist attack.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...st-3783225.php

Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
He hit a military target. Everybody killed was in the military except for one civilian working with the military.

That's not terrorism, unless you consider the US military terrorists.

So on this thread we have one person wanting purple hearts for military members standing in line at a bank, and the other saying it's "terrorism"?
Terrorism: Systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective.

Look, I am all about your freedom to state your opinion, and your entitlement to whatever political beliefs you may have. The problem that I have is that you don't seem very willing to extend the same courtesy to others. Were you at Fort Hood when it happened? Did you know any of the people that were in the Soldier Readiness Processing Center that day? Did you know any of the Law Enforcement Officers that responded? You may have a slightly different opinion if you had.

MAJ Hasan used armed violence to make a political statement. He had ties to a known Al Qaeda operative, Anwar Al-Awlaki.

How Anwar Al-Awlaki Inspired Terror

MAJ Hasan gunned down 13 people in cold blood due to his political beliefs and his opposition to the War on Terror. Of course, I do agree that everyone is innocent until proven guilty by a jury of their peers. But trying to excuse the actions of a known Al Qaeda sympathizer by calling them workplace violence is ridiculous and intellectually dishonest.

Last edited by TXStrat; 03-22-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Terrorism: Systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective.

Look, I am all about your freedom to state your opinion, and your entitlement to whatever political beliefs you may have. The problem that I have is that you don't seem very willing to extend the same courtesy to others. Were you at Fort Hood when it happened? Did you know any of the people that were in the Soldier Readiness Processing Center that day? Did you know any of the Law Enforcement Officers that responded? You may have a slightly different opinion if you had.

MAJ Hasan used armed violence to make a political statement. He had ties to a known Al Qaeda operative, Anwar Al-Awlaki.

How Anwar Al-Awlaki Inspired Terror

MAJ Hasan gunned down 13 people in cold blood due to his political beliefs and his opposition to the War on Terror. Of course, I do agree that everyone is innocent until proven guilty by a jury of their peers. But trying to excuse the actions of a known Al Qaeda sympathizer by calling them workplace violence is ridiculous and intellectually dishonest.
He's never given a statement as to why he did what he did, and the Army went all through his personal emails so you have no evidence if he had "political objectives". And you linking him to in some nefarious way to Al Awalki is right wing BS. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/us...uire.html?_r=0 The Army investigated and found NOTHING incriminating.

Furthermore, most 7th graders can understand the difference between causation and justification. 133,000 civilians were killed in Iraq after the US needlessly and immorally invaded that country, so when you live by the sword, you die by the sword. So of course there are going to be Muslims deeply resentful of the US murdering innocents and they will take it out on US targets. Goes with the territory when you meddle in the affairs of other sovereign nations. Deal with it.

Last edited by padcrasher; 03-22-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 12:55 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
Quote:
He hit a military target. Everybody killed was in the military except for one civilian working with the military.

That's not terrorism, unless you consider the US military terrorists.

So on this thread we have one person wanting purple hearts for military members standing in line at a bank, and the other saying it's "terrorism"?
LOL. Are you from Southern Lebanon?

Hasan's controller was Al-Awlaki.

Hasan's e-mail exchange with al-Awlaki; Islam, money and matchmaking – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

We droned Al-Awlaki and his teenage son recently. Both were US citizens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/wo...anted=all&_r=0

Al-Awlaki never personally committed any crime.

But Hasan did. And he is still on trial.

Where is the logic in that?

As for your other assertions.

Khobar Towers bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USS Cole bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the most compelling case of them all - William Buckely and Colonel Higgins.

William Francis Buckley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
On Monday morning, May 7, 1984, the United States embassy in Athens received a video posted in the city… It showed William Buckley undergoing torture… The camera zoomed in and out of Buckley’s nude and damaged body. He held before his genitalia a document marked “MOST SECRET”… Casey later remembered how “… They had done more than ruin his body. His eyes made it clear his mind had been played with. It was horrific, medieval and barbarous”… Buckley showed symptoms of being drugged; his eyes were dull and his lips slack. His gaze was of a person deprived of daylight for some time… Buckley had spent long periods being hooded. Buckley bore chafe marks on his wrists and neck suggesting he had been tethered with a rope or chain. A careful study of every inch of visible skin revealed puncture marks indicating he had been injected at various points.
The second video arrived 23 days later. This time it was posted to the United States Embassy on Via Veneto in Rome… It revealed Buckley continued to be horrifically treated… Buckley’s voice was slurred and his manner noticeably more egocentric as if not only the world beyond the camera, but his immediate surroundings, held increasingly less interest for him… His hands shook and his legs beat a tattoo on the floor as he mumbled pathetic pleas to be exchanged under a guarantee the United States would remove “all of its influences” from Lebanon and would persuade Israel to do the same…

and

Quote:
A friend of mine – Colonel Rich Higgins – was kidnapped by Hezbollah while he was serving as a UN military observer in Lebanon… he had been tortured and killed months before our efforts to free him finally ended. I am one of a small handful of Americans who knows the exact manner of Rich’s death. If I were to describe it to you now – which I will not – I can guarantee that a significant number of people in this room would become physically ill. When my former business partner Rich Armitage described Hezbollah a few years ago as the “A-Team” of international terrorism and suggested that there was a “blood debt” to be paid, he was referring to a leadership cadre that is steeped in blood and brutality.

Personally, I wonder how anyone could defend people who do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies