Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Half of my foot (literally, 3/5th- where the bones would be to run to your 3 toes are now metal rods) is metal and I'm in great shape. But even when I wasn't, I had to take daily pain medicine, and limped like a geezer, I never took handicap though I was entitled to it. Handicapped people are handicapped in the mind not the body.
1. I don't use the motorized chair, though my daughter thinks I should.

2. Even with pain meds, I am in pain.

3. My right ankle doesn't work right 40% movement, my right knee 72% movement. Sometime when I take a step it feels like someone with a rusty handsaw just ripped their way through a joint, and I fall. Over the past 4 years, I have broken bones in my foot 11 times, 1 concussion, and last year I broke my hand in 2 places so badly it required surgery, and now IT doesn't function correctly. Worse, it was my RIGHT hand, my dominant hand.

I actually waited 15 years to get the plate, I didn't get it immediately. I got it at the point when I could barely go from the parking lot to the store. I was told in 1997, that in 10 years I would be in a wheelchair. I am still walking, and still fighting it. BUT trust me, it's not in my mind. MY definition of pain? When you have to roll out of your bed and crawl to the bathroom, and every movement brings flashes of light through your eyes and waves of pain through your legs, and you pull yourself up and do what you need to do.

I am glad your problems have been resolved, I have already been told that both of my ankles and knees will deteriorate. SO far, I am not in a wheelchair, and while THAT day MAY come, it's not here now. I WILL however, park in the Handicapped parking spot, whether people like you like it or not.

Last edited by Darkatt; 03-22-2013 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I don't know that it is only fat people who abuse the HC parking. I see plenty of HC spouses doing it too. What can I say some people have no pride and are just flat out ignorant.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:03 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I'm a little ashamed to admit that I have come perilously close to keying cars of people who abuse handicap parking. It's something that never fails to infuriate me. I'm working on it.
Do what I do, it is MUCH more satisfying...

Cal your local police non emergency #, and report it. When the patrolmen comes out, and some do REALLY quickly, they will ticket the car. If the car has unpaid tickets, it may even get towed. THAT kind of parking tkt is expensive, and if there are more than 1, then can go up in costs. .

I was at LOWES a few months back and watched someone whip into the Handicapped space in front of me, get and and sprint into the store. I parked nearby, called my local police non emergency #, and 4 minutes later a squad car pulled in. I walked up and chatted with him as he wrote the ticket, and then he noted that there were about 7 of those tkts written previously on the vehicle, and found out 4 of them past due, with increased charges on them, so he called for a tow, and it was so funny, in just minutes a tow truck was there, hooking it up, AS he came strolling out of Lowes.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

Cal your local police non emergency #, and report it. When the patrolmen comes out, and some do REALLY quickly, they will ticket the car. If the car has unpaid tickets, it may even get towed. THAT kind of parking tkt it expensive.

I was at LOWES a few months back and watched someone whip into the Handicapped space in front of me, get and and sprint into the store. I parked nearby, called my local police non emergency #, and 4 minutes later a squad car pulled in. I walked up and chatted with him as he wrote the ticket, and then he noted that there were about 7 of those tkts written previously on the vehicle, and found out 4 of them past due, with increased charges on them, so he called for a tow, and it was so funny, in just minutes a tow truck was there, hooking it up, AS he came strolling out of Lowes.
You Sir, are a man after my own heart. I will keep that option in mind for the future.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:

Cal your local police non emergency #, and report it. When the patrolmen comes out, and some do REALLY quickly, they will ticket the car. If the car has unpaid tickets, it may even get towed. THAT kind of parking tkt is expensive, and if there are more than 1, then can go up in costs. .

That is awesome. Much better than damaging property.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
walk walk walk.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
3. My right ankle doesn't work right 40% movement, my right knee 72% movement. Sometime when I take a step it feels like someone with a rusty handsaw just ripped their way through a joint, and I fall. Over the past 4 years, I have broken bones in my foot 11 times, 1 concussion, and last year I broke my hand in 2 places so badly it required surgery, and now IT doesn't function correctly. Worse, it was my RIGHT hand, my dominant hand.
Human beings can't naturally fly either, that doesn't mean we're handicap. I'm sorry about your injury, but there are many ways to stay in shape. When I couldn't use my foot, I built myself up to shoulder pushups. Now I do them everyday. You don't need your ankle to go into a swimming pool. You can either let yourself be beaten by circumstance or age, you can fight past everything.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
I have no problems at all with the idea of reporting someone for parking in a handicapped spot without a placard.

I've thought about doing it myself but so far have just kept it to dirty looks.

I also realize that there are abuses - people using someone else's placard - but that would be awful hard for any of us to determine and hopefully those abuses are few and far between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
walk walk walk.
This is what gets me about people and parking spaces and how some people will sit there and wait for a spot to open (I'm not talking handicapped here - just spots in general), for someone to unload their groceries, get in their car, get their kids (if they have any) buckled in and situated, in the meantime holding everybody else up that's trying to drive through the lot or find a spot, and all to save twelve feet of walking!

I NEVER do that. I usually take the first spot I come to; occasionally, if the lot is particularly full and it looks like I am going to have to park pretty far from the store, I will drive through the lot ONCE. I will even, on rare occasions, wait for someone to pull out.....IF there is no one behind me and IF there is no one coming from the opposite direction that will be affected by my waiting. I have often driven off as soon as I see someone come up behind me, only to look in my rear view mirror and see that car pull into the spot I had been waiting for. It doesn't bother me in the least.

But some people will hold up an entire parking lot just to get two spaces closer to the door!

One time I got behind some woman doing that - the spot she was waiting for was the closest one to the store that wasn't a handicapped spot and it was also at the end of the aisle and she not only had me and a number of others who were behind me held up for several minutes but also people who were trying to turn into the aisle coming from the opposite direction.

By the time she got into her spot, I would say there were at least a dozen cars she had managed to hold up.

After she finally got into "her" spot, I whipped past her and flipped her off, found my own space and went into the store, and she saw me and started yelling at me. Called me a few vile names and a woman walking by said, "Well, that was uncalled for." lol

Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM

945 posts, read 968,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
I used to think stores increased the number of handicap spaces due to people living longer and remaining more independent.
Its easy to see that's not the case.
Huge increase in fat drivers, and possibly lax standards in issuing permits.
What's the deal here?

Fat people should have a parking permit that relegates them to the further parts of all parking lots. Exercise should be forced, if we have stupid laws for handicapped parking in the first place.

Fat people should be looked down upon in society like smokers, drunks, druggies, child molesters, rapists, etc since thats how we roll in polite society.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
I used to think stores increased the number of handicap spaces due to people living longer and remaining more independent.
Its easy to see that's not the case.
Huge increase in fat drivers, and possibly lax standards in issuing permits.
What's the deal here?

About time others noticed it besides just me !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies