Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:37 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Are you debating that conservatives don't outnumber liberals nearly 2 to 1?
Nope. But the center doesn't like the right more than they don't like the left. The conservatives have shredded their brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 03:38 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,907 times
Quote:
Considering that self-identified conservatives outnumber liberals nearly 2-1 (Gallup: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 47 Out of 50 States | CNS News) and are totally decimiated at the state and local levels, AT BEST the democrats are on life support.

Democrats, do you know why the GOP will never die out or be permanently replaced by you? Because, NEWS FLASH, YOU AREN'T POPULAR EITHER!

The GOP is getting an F from voters, but guess what, your're getting a nice fat D- yourself, and last I checked, that's nothing to brag about.
That is because, while the Republicans stand for the destruction of the American middle class, the Democrats stand for nothing. We need a real liberal party with people like Bernie Sanders that care about people who actually do work for a living.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,907 times
Quote:
I doubt that number. Maybe they did not include "moderate" or "moderate left" in the survey. Most people are liberal when it comes to issue by issue.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
From your link:

If 38 is twice 23 to you, take basic math again. It also leaves 39% as independent...larger then both.
Yeap, but please remember GOP followers are not good at STEM

Old 03-23-2013, 03:44 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,712 times
And yet, President Obama won the 2012 election. So whatever you say!

BTW, the rapid demographic change that the country is experiencing will only further the Republican downward slide. That is, unless they change which they show no signs of doing (at least not at this point in time). So good luck with that one!

You just keep on doing what you do

Old 03-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Considering that self-identified conservatives outnumber liberalsnearly 2-1 (Gallup: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 47 Out of 50 States | CNS News) and are totally decimiated at the state and local levels, AT BEST the democrats are on life support.

Democrats, do you know why the GOP will never die out or be permanently replaced by you? Because, NEWS FLASH, YOU AREN'T POPULAR EITHER!

The GOP is getting an F from voters, but guess what, your're getting a nice fat D- yourself, and last I checked, that's nothing to brag about.
The point you are making is flawed.

Your thread title is " If the GOP is dead, then the Democrats are on life support", yet you use liberal vs conservative to back up your claim? I am pretty sure you know that you do not have to be liberal to be a Democrat, just as all Republicans are not conservatives.

This is backed up by there being more registered Democrats than their are republicans. it is also backed up by the title of your link as well seeing as no Republican has won 47 states since Reagan.

The argument that there are more liberals than conservatives is also flawed as your own poll only ask them to self identify themselves. If you simply ask a person a set of question and put them in either category based on score, then there are more liberals in this nation than conservatives

( also, how hard is it for you to link to gallop and read the actual study, and not someones interpretation of it from CNSNews.com ? )

The article also mentions that the amount of people self identifying as conservatives have dropped by 2% since 2008 where as the amount of people self identifying as liberals has increased by 1%

Old 03-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
i am, your own poll shows self identification. I can call my self an umpa lumpa all i want, it doesnt make me one.

Republicans succeeded about 20 years ago of making liberal a dirty word, so more people self identify as conservative because it sounds better, that doesnt make them conservative just as you are using the flawed premise of liberal vs conservative to compare Democrat vs Republican.

Are there not more registered Democrats than Republicans ?

Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Romney won the white vote by about 60-40 over Obama, but Obama won the black, hispanic, and asian vote respectively by 93%, 71%, and 72%. That was about a quarter of the overal electorate that Obama won by about 80%. I haven't seen numbers on this, but I doubt that 80% of blacks, hispanics, and asians would self-ID as liberal, but that is how they voted in 2012.
President Exit Polls - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com

So in essence Dems have overcome the nearly 2-1 conservative/liberal ratio by pursuing Spencer Ackerman's "call them racist" strategy. And it has worked--judging by the numbers there is a widespread perception that the GOP is the party of racism. This has been enough to compensate for the unpopularity of their ideas.

R's have to work to turn this around or the party will slowly die by demographics. The recent call by RNC chair Reince Priiebus was a start. Rand Paul has also said that he intends to try to tackle the problem in his own way.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:18 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
And it has worked--judging by the numbers there is a widespread perception that the GOP is the party of racism.
Not just racists. It's the party for all sorts of bigots, psychopaths, and authoritarian control freaks.
Quote:
This has been enough to compensate for the unpopularity of their ideas.
Except that their ideas aren't unpopular. Even the right wing Republicans in various states were eager to latch onto the stimulus, Obamacare, etc. They just prefer not to acknowledge how those programs came about.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Not just racists. It's the party for all sorts of bigots, psychopaths, and authoritarian control freaks.
Except that their ideas aren't unpopular. Even the right wing Republicans in various states were eager to latch onto the stimulus, Obamacare, etc. They just prefer not to acknowledge how those programs came about.
GOP gave us Michelle Bachmann and Mr. Legitimate rape Akin. Enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies