Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:40 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
When you call every white person who votes Republican "angry, white and racist," you'll tend to lose their votes.
That is irrelevant to my point which is you cannot cherry pick one group and try to draw conclusions on it, you have to look at the whole picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Also, I believe that 'moderate' is probably an ill-defined category that needs to be broken down further to shed any real light. For example someone who is social liberal/econ conservative might call him/herself "moderate." And someone who is econ liberal/social conservative, like say a Mike Huckabee or W Bush supporter, might also think of themselves as 'moderate.' So they both self id as 'moderate' even though they are basically on opposite sides of the fence.
That would be helpful if they did more cross tabs in exit polls.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Also, I believe that 'moderate' is probably an ill-defined category that needs to be broken down further to shed any real light. For example someone who is social liberal/econ conservative might call him/herself "moderate." And someone who is econ liberal/social conservative, like say a Mike Huckabee or W Bush supporter, might also think of themselves as 'moderate.' So they both self id as 'moderate' even though they are basically on opposite sides of the fence.
Republican, Democrat, and Independent are meaningful but conservative, liberal, and moderate are entirely subjective.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:26 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,907 times
Quote:
OK. What does C Maurio's poll have to say?
My poll says most Americans favor abortion rights, birth control rights, womens rights, minority rights, workers rights, Social Security, Medicare and about everything else the GOP stands against.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The pendulum swings from right to left and back again. It is swinging to the left now but it should swing back right again sooner or later. We'll just have to see how big a mess of things the left has made when people do wake up and start voting for responsible politics again.
Yeah. We all want to go back to the good old days under the W Bush regime. We love never ending never paid for wars and an economic crash that cost 10 million people their jobs, homes or both. And big bank bailouts. Yeah, we want to go back to that.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 PM

The fact is my Republican friends, that America is getting more liberal by the day. People are sick of having religion crammed down our throats and flags waved in our faces. You people do not have anymore claim to God and the USA then anybody else does. So continue your silliness. If you are happy winning only the Confederate states and a few Jesusland states like Oklahoma, go for it! In then end you will never ever be at 1600 Penn again.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
When you call every white person who votes Republican "angry, white and racist," you'll tend to lose their votes.
I just call them stupid. Who are they angry at? Poor people and Hispanics and blacks who had nothing to do with why their lives are miserable? Try blaming the bankers and Wall Street and CEOs. Why would any white person not rich vote for a party that hates them? Yeah, they will let you fools have your guns and Bibles (as if the Democrats want to take them away) and you will need them pretty soon after they take everything else from you.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:39 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
My poll says most Americans favor abortion rights, birth control rights, womens rights, minority rights, workers rights, Social Security, Medicare and about everything else the GOP stands against.
Show me in the official GOP platform where the GOP is officially against women's rights, minority rights, worker rights, Social security, birth control rights (just because the GOP doesn't believe in taxpayer funded birth control, doesn't mean they're against your right to birth control if paid for privately) and Medicare. I will never vote for another Republican again.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:09 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And the Republicans are having problems with everyone else. This country has become extremely diverse with many different cultures which Republicans refuse to acknowledge and ignore.
The republicans can kick some serious butt if they lose the label as the party if whites. Even though we're culturally diverse you'll be surprised how many minorities disapprove of other minorities and the lifestyle of others. I honestly believe alot of us are more conservative than liberal.

If the GOP can clean up their act it will be a while before a democrat ever touches the White House again IMO.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,248,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I just call them stupid. Who are they angry at? Poor people and Hispanics and blacks who had nothing to do with why their lives are miserable? Try blaming the bankers and Wall Street and CEOs. Why would any white person not rich vote for a party that hates them? Yeah, they will let you fools have your guns and Bibles (as if the Democrats want to take them away) and you will need them pretty soon after they take everything else from you.
Ah, labels. I'm white, and I am neither angry nor racist. As a conservative I vote Republican more often than I vote Democrat (last November I voted Johnson because both major party candidates sucked), but I'm definitely not a Republican. But according to you, because I do sometimes vote Republican I AM angry and racist, plus I'm stupid, plus I'm a fool for owning Bibles and several guns. I feel so oppressed. Maybe I'll lash out and start assigning labels to random people on the internet. Or maybe I'll get back to my job and ignore you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
The republicans can kick some serious butt if they lose the label as the party if whites. Even though we're culturally diverse you'll be surprised how many minorities disapprove of other minorities and the lifestyle of others. I honestly believe alot of us are more conservative than liberal.

If the GOP can clean up their act it will be a while before a democrat ever touches the White House again IMO.
This is partially true; being considered the "party of whites" is only part of the problem. My personal problem with Republicans is that I consider them to be the "party of the rich business owners who would love to take us back to the days of no minimum wage and 60-hour standard work weeks."

If a true leader ever steps up to create a true working-class Conservative Party they will dominate national elections. The problem will be in gaining the support of the entire working class majority, both union and non-union, and succeed in out-shouting the open sewer of hatred spewing from the uber-rich screamers on the radio that call themselves "conservative".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies