Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 PM

83 posts, read 95,142 times

Advertisements

This is mostly a rant post. I'm personally sick of the gay talk, sick of the gay agenda being crammed down my throat, and sick of the media and internet presenting the lie that almost everyone thinks gay marriage is wonderful and normal, and you are an uneducated backwoods bigot if you dare to oppose this.

I was listening to NPR today at lunch, and they made it sound like the only opposition to gay marriage are a few extreme sects of Christianity. This is nonsense. It would not be a controversial divided issue if this were true. Then CNN presents their story of the one backwoods Mississippi town where gays aren't welcome or whatever as if only uneducated rednecks are the ones who don't approve of the lifestyle.

I'm sick of the twisting of the Bible to make it appear that there is absolutely nothing wrong with gay marriage. The Bible couldn't be more plain on the topic. Verses like Romans 1:26-27 clearly show that God does not approve of the act, and certainly won't approve of gay marriage. I am not a bigot because I exercise my religious freedom to actually believe in the Bible.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,302,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTED View Post
This is mostly a rant post. I'm personally sick of the gay talk, sick of the gay agenda being crammed down my throat, and sick of the media and internet presenting the lie that almost everyone thinks gay marriage is wonderful and normal, and you are an uneducated backwoods bigot if you dare to oppose this.

I was listening to NPR today at lunch, and they made it sound like the only opposition to gay marriage are a few extreme sects of Christianity. This is nonsense. It would not be a controversial divided issue if this were true. Then CNN presents their story of the one backwoods Mississippi town where gays aren't welcome or whatever as if only uneducated rednecks are the ones who don't approve of the lifestyle.

I'm sick of the twisting of the Bible to make it appear that there is absolutely nothing wrong with gay marriage. The Bible couldn't be more plain on the topic. Verses like Romans 1:26-27 clearly show that God does not approve of the act, and certainly won't approve of gay marriage. I am not a bigot because I exercise my religious freedom to actually believe in the Bible.

Who exactly is cramming the gay agenda down your throat?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:45 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,953 times
Quote:
The bible is clear on a lot of things, yet no one follows it completely.

I'll quote my own post because I am tired of pointing this out again, and again, and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
People cite that homosexuality is wrong because it says so in Leviticus, then ignore that it also prescribes against:
- Wearing clothes of different weaves of fiber (Leviticus 19:19),
- Eating fat (Leviticus 3:17),
- Clipping your hair/beard (Leviticus 19:27),
- Getting a tattoo (Leviticus 19:28),
- Blasphemy, and those that do should be put to death (Leviticus 24:14-16,23)
- Consuming blood or rare meat (Leviticus 17:10) - Especially relevant since black pudding is traditional Irish fare

If you add into the mix Deuteronomy, then it gets worse:
- If a woman lies about her virginity she is to die (Deuteronomy 22:20-21)
- Being a victim of rape in the city (not a field) (Deuteronomy 22:23-27)
- Trying to convert people to another religion (Deuteronomy 13:1-11, Deuteronomy 18:20)
- Apostasy - Kill everybody, including animals, and burn the town (Deuteronomy 13:12-15)
- Stoning an unruly child (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)
- Ignoring the verdict of a judge (Deuteronomy 17:8-13)
If the bible is the absolute word of god with no errors or room for interpretation, then you can't ignore all the parts you don't like. It doesn't even include the Curse of Ham, where those who are of dark skin are cursed by god. That was used to justify slavery and discrimination as well till we learned better.

Claiming one line that lets a person hate another because it's the "word of god," while ignoring all the other bits that are the word of god, does make someone an ignorant (not just reality, but the bible as well) bigot. It's picking and choosing what someone wants to find in the bible in order to let them do what they want to do anyways.

Before you claim I don't know the Bible, I need to point out I have been to seminary and studied the Bible.

To me twisting gods word in order to hate others diminishes gods word of love to his creation.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,263,085 times
Doesn't matter what the Bible says or doesn't say. We have separation of church and state in the US. We support no state religion, Christian or otherwise. Anybody who wants to live in a country that is ruled by the Bible should go somewhere else.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:53 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
58% of the general public supports it, and well over 80% of people thirty and under. The battle for public opinion is over on this one--it's just a matter of how long it takes for gay marriage to become legal everywhere, and not if it's going to happen.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
You don't watch TV shows (where everybody has a nice, harmless gay friend or neighbor) or watch the news or read magazines (where gay marriage is always topic number one)? Or read social media where the gay agenda is pushed every day?

Gay Marriage: Not The Biggest Issue For Voters

Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,431 times
I don't believe the polls. If close to 60% of Americans supported homosexual marriage then why do so many states have constitutional amendments defining marriage between a man and a woman? Amendments passed by overwhelming public support not all that long ago. Did these people have a sudden change of heart? Did they die?

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:

does 'cramming down throat" seem to be a recurring theme with anit- gay marriage folk? I just sayin'.

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times
Opinion: Will gay rights infringe on religious liberty? - CNN.com

This article is very thought-provoking. Especially the last sentence.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:00 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I always think of it this way...

If Leviticus says tattoos are immoral, don't get one.
If Leviticus says eating pork or shellfish is immoral, don't eat it.
If Leviticus says clipping your hair is immoral, don't do it.
If Leviticus says wearing different weaves of fiber is immoral, don't do it.

If Leviticus says homosexual marriage is immoral, don't get one.

I've never seen anyone protesting outside of a BBQ pit, or Red Lobster, or a tattoo parlor, clothing stores or a Great Clips that they should be closed and made illegal because the bible says that they are immoral. Yet people protest gay marriage should be illegal because the bible says so in Leviticus.

Last edited by EmeraldCityWanderer; 03-25-2013 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Adding weaves of fiber, good reminder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies