Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 PM

73,138 posts, read 62,791,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
It goes beyond simple elementary crime statistics. I don’t indentify or seek to understand destructive and yet popular black culture. Bill Cosby has spoke volumes on this, but not much attention is paid to what he is saying vs. the baiters i.e. Sharpton and Jackson.
You still have not answered my question. I asked the question because I needed an answer.

First of all, what you see, that it what I call destruction to Black culture. Black culture is more than thugs and hip-hop. It is not all of Black culture. It is a segment of it. What about jazz, gospel music, R&B? None of those parts of Black culture are destructive or violent. The question you should ask is "what is it about hip-hop that can make it so destructive"? If you knew the history of hip-hop, you would know it didn't start out this way. It was originally about social consciousness. It turned into shootings, drugs, and the stupid stuff when rappers were being offered large sums of money to rap about such stuff. Violence sells in America. This is not limited to rap. Westerns were quite popular at one time. So was The Godfather.

And I'm quite aware of Bill Cosby. Bill Cosby isn't looking for a big audience. He just wants people to do better. Jackson and Sharpton are in it for the money, so they find ways to get attention. Bill Cosby wasn't looking for any.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It really doesn't work. If you are not a violent thug or trying to get money for your drug habit, your own law of probability might be 0% and it doesn't matter if someone else's is 100%.

Just like whites are not more inclined to eat people because Jeffrey Dahmer did.

Same goes for IQ statistics, it really doesn't matter if your IQ is 130 or if it's 60 what some average is for your group. Your IQ is still just as high, or just as low.

Some probabilities have to do with where you live and what you see as your options. Some kid growing up in certain neighborhoods, never watching a parent get up and go to work every day doesn't get the same exposure to that option as a kid who grows up seeing at least one parent get up every day and go to work. Work ethics are learned, they're not genetic.

If the parent(s) don't teach it, and the kid has no close up examples, then it's not as much an option. For many kids, the only options are prison, death, or a job (including military) and no one is doing much about getting them to see that last option. Without a job, their futures are very bleak.
THIS.

One thing people do not understand is that the Law of Probability does not apply to every individual. It doesn't make provisions for the individual who isn't part of that statistic.

Let me use an example. I am quite aware that alot of murders are committed by Blacks. I'm also quite aware that the vast majority of the victims of Black murderers are themselves Black. Being that I'm a young Black male, a person could say that the probability of me getting murdered or committing murder is high. Well, one should consider this. I was raised in a two parent household. I have a college education. I am not involved in drugs. I am a believer in Christ. I don't live in a violent neighborhood. I'm not going to go out and kill anyone. No two human beings are alike.

Behavior is about making choices. It is about how you are raised. It is about the heart as well. You learn things. However, some people are trying to make it seem like genetics will control all of your behaviors.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A lot of people coming from Mexico or India have skin that's just as dark and everyone is impressed by them. Even those from south of the border who head immediately to the welfare office and have illegitimacy rates every bit as high as blacks are excused and can claim they have babies out of wedlock because of their deep religious devotion.
That is something to think about. Blacks also have high religious devotion as well. This is what I think. I think the hatred of Blacks goes back alot further, but is taking different forms over time. I think that the current perception is this. Mexicans are perceived as those who do the hard work. I think Blacks are perceived as being "useless".

Old 03-31-2013, 03:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,273,762 times
I've rarely ever faced discrimination and frankly, i don't care WHY someone discriminates against others. That's their problem. My problem is to make sure that when it happens to me, that'll be the last time it does (by that person).

I don't give a damn about reasons for discrimination.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I've rarely ever faced discrimination and frankly, i don't care WHY someone discriminates against others. That's their problem. My problem is to make sure that when it happens to me, that'll be the last time it does (by that person).

I don't give a damn about reasons for discrimination.
There is something to consider. Discrimination can affect someone's life, particularly if the person doing the discriminating has a position of power, such as being a hiring manager.

If some fool in a pickup truck harasses me and screams the "N" word at me(and it's happened a few times), yes, I am going to be very upset. That being said, I know that said person is going that because he/she has no other power over me. Said person probably can't make any decisions over me.

If someone you or me has to face at the office is doing the discriminating, then it could have an affect. If someone is racist, and acts on that being turning you down for a job, that is where discrimination will affect things. It makes your life harder because that is a job you won't get, and more work to find another job.

Is it right? No.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 PM

21,495 posts, read 10,615,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is something to think about. Blacks also have high religious devotion as well. This is what I think. I think the hatred of Blacks goes back alot further, but is taking different forms over time. I think that the current perception is this. Mexicans are perceived as those who do the hard work. I think Blacks are perceived as being "useless".
I think it really has to do with immigrant mentality. There is no baggage there, so Indian or Mexican and African immigrants don't care if others discriminate against them because they're here to take advantage of the opportunities and realize that those opportunities aren't available to them in their home countries. We have six high schools in the local school district, and last year the local magazine featured the valedictorian and salutatorian for each school. Two were Nigerian, and four were from Asian countries (India, Vietnam, China). Half the kids were not even from here, probably spoke English as a second language!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM

491 posts, read 373,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
All over the world the people with the darker skin are discriminated against by the people in power who have lighter skin. This is especially true with African Americans.

Many people say the main reason black people in America are discriminated against is they have black or dark skin. Do you think this is the true reason for the discrimination and hate or is it something else.

If the real reason is something other than their physical skin color then what is it?
Do birds have wings?

GEICO, 15 minutes or less ...

Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think it really has to do with immigrant mentality. There is no baggage there, so Indian or Mexican and African immigrants don't care if others discriminate against them because they're here to take advantage of the opportunities and realize that those opportunities aren't available to them in their home countries. We have six high schools in the local school district, and last year the local magazine featured the valedictorian and salutatorian for each school. Two were Nigerian, and four were from Asian countries (India, Vietnam, China). Half the kids were not even from here, probably spoke English as a second language!
The baggage isn't there because for them, America is a clean slate. The opportunity is a big factor. That being said, it isn't the only factor. My opinion is this. For an immigrant from Nigeria or India, America is a clean slate, a new place to make it work. For many in the U.S. Black community, it isn't a new place. Having seen the worst America can be, I might argue that there is a bit of cynicism among some Black Americans.

I have one question. What does any of this have anything to do with what I mentioned with the perception of Blacks being considered "useless"?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Regardless of what people to be politically correct, an unarguable fact that haunts blacks, and hispanics to a lesser extent are the criminal statistics that accompany their race.

Remember, by the Federal prison systems own numbers shows that blacks are at a higher propensity than all other races in the US to commit a crime.

'On June 30, 2006, an estimated 4.8% of black non-Hispanic men were in prison or jail, compared to 1.9% of Hispanic men of any race and 0.7% of white non-Hispanic men. U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics.'

So by the sliding scale of logic, the more likely someone is to feel comfortable with a perfect stranger is going to directly be attributed to how safe/comfortable they are perceived as an entirety.

Have you ever heard the expression the number don't lie? They are the only shred of reality left that cannot be easily twisted into something else.
derosterreich, what do any of those numbers have to do with Blacks and Hispanics who DON'T commit crimes? What does this have anything to do with individuals? And why should individuals be judged based on the worst seen from their respect ethnic groups? I ask all of this because I don't think on a "logical sliding scale". I think based on the individual's behavior, based on the culture a specific person ascribes to. I know what it's like to be judged based on what other Blacks have done, so I try not to do it to others.

And as for the numbers, the numbers don't tell the whole story. Statistics can be interpreted in any way. However, the statistics don't tell the whole story. You haven't question why these numbers are the way they are. I do question them, because I look BEHIND the numbers. Take for instance, the prison statistics you listed. These are the people who have been convicted, found guilty, and have been sentenced. What this statistic does not tell is the rate of who gets caught. It does not tell you the crimes these persons were convicted of. It does not tell you the circumstances behind the arrests. It doesn't mention if it was murder or drug crimes. What it doesn't tell you is that our society has incarcerated more people than ever before. What it doesn't tell you is that half of the incarcerated are there for drug-related crimes. It doesn't tell you that 1/8 of prisoners are there for marijuana. The percentage of people incarcerated for non-violent crimes have increased from 10 percent in 1980 to 1/4 today. What role do drug laws play?

‘Prison Math’ and the War on Drugs - By Veronique de Rugy - The Corner - National Review Online

Old 04-04-2013, 04:50 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,784,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
All over the world the people with the darker skin are discriminated against by the people in power who have lighter skin. This is especially true with African Americans.

Many people say the main reason black people in America are discriminated against is they have black or dark skin. Do you think this is the true reason for the discrimination and hate or is it something else.

If the real reason is something other than their physical skin color then what is it?
I don't think any of us can answer that question to be honest with you. None if us have that much education and such a string emphasis on history that we're suitable to answer that.

Opinions and mine is simply that at one point in time most countries would enslave the darker people, didn't South America have slaves at one point?

Since it was said that blacks are athletically superior I guess it was better to hold them back intellectually so they couldn't reach that level.

I do think its always been a push to make sure black men aren't educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies