Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christian business owners who refuse to support gay marriage be shut down by the government?
Yes 16 13.11%
No 106 86.89%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 PM

688 posts, read 652,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Yes, they can. I sincerely wish I owned a business right now and was put in the position to defend this in court. Anti-discrimination laws against individuals and private businesses (i.e. not funded by tax dollars) are a violation of property rights and against the 13th Amendment of the Constitution on Slavery.

My labor cannot be compelled by government. They do not have the Constitutional authority for this action.

You have a "right" to seek to purchase legal goods and services. You do NOT have the 'right' to compel another individual to sell you those goods or services.
So long as your business requires private membership, you can. Otherwise, under The Federal Civil Rights Act, you cannot.

*Edit- The right to public accommodation to people whom have disabilities is also guaranteed to under The Americans with Disabilites Act. (In case you've decided you have the "right" to put them in the place, as well.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,488,768 times
Quote:
I'm going to assume that you mean if I allow one person to come onto my property and buy property (either goods or services) that I am offering to sell, I must allow ANYONE. When did I give up my property rights simply because I decided to sell a good or service?

What government has constitutional authority to COMPEL me to sell my goods or services to another individual? If they can compel this, can they also compel the price that I must agree to? If I am a preacher, can the government compel me to provide my service (marriage) to a same sex couple? If I am a preacher, can the government compel me to provide my service (marriage) to someone wanting to marry a sheep? If I am a preacher, can the government compel me to provide my service (marriage) to eight people wanting to marry each other?

Where does any government get this authority to compel my labor?

Edited to add:

I submit that every privately owned (even if owned as shares of a corporation) business that is NOT funded by tax dollars is a PRIVATE business. The ONLY public goods and services are things like roads, courts, the DMV, schools, etc. Things that get tax payer funding are PUBLIC, and they are required to not discriminate. Otherwise you could dictate that the 15 year old kid be required to mow the lawns of groups of people he doesn't like. You could compel his labor. You would make him a slave.
Well, you are assuming what I am saying, not reading it. I never said that a private business once they allow a person in, must allow everyone. I never said that and that is not how it is. A public business is a business that deals with the public. A private business is not a business open to the public, aka gardening service, housekeeping, plumbers etc. Is that easy for you to get?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
The entire point of them forcing the destruction of the term marriage and redefine is was to lead to the next step. Getting to others like churches and businesses. You're right, its not over sadly. Some of us knew all along it wasnt about equal rights.
Then you are fooling yourself. For me and many gay men and women I know, it is about equal rights, equal representation from our government, same as you would expect. Same as when black people fought for their equal rights, we are doing the same and people like you did not like that either.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Well what did you expect when you threw away principle and common sense? Marriage equality??? Marriage has always been equal. Yourself falling into the changing of the definition instead of giving them civil unions allowing them the same benefits was your mistake. The goal of many of these people was to destroy marriage in order to go after groups like churches and businesses.

There is nothing wrong or inaccurate about saying a man and a woman as married is and always will be different than a man/man woman/woman UNION. Being scared to stand by that or getting easily swayed by losing site of what this is all about was a mistake.
Bull, marriage has not been equal for us gay people. I do not care one hoot about your stupid churches and my goal is to strengthen marriage by making it available for every US citizen, not just its straight ones. It is paranoid thinking on behalf of the christians to think we want to go after them. It is the opposite, it is the church with the aganda to go after and destroy gays and any rigthts they want to receive. The church is evil and contentious, always has been.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Yes, they can. I sincerely wish I owned a business right now and was put in the position to defend this in court. Anti-discrimination laws against individuals and private businesses (i.e. not funded by tax dollars) are a violation of property rights and against the 13th Amendment of the Constitution on Slavery.

My labor cannot be compelled by government. They do not have the Constitutional authority for this action.

You have a "right" to seek to purchase legal goods and services. You do NOT have the 'right' to compel another individual to sell you those goods or services.
The definitive is private business, opposed to one open to the public. Open a public business and try to refuse a person service based on their religion, color, sex or sexual orientation, and you are in the wrong. Public does not mean funded by the government, it means open to the public.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Well, you are assuming what I am saying, not reading it. I never said that a private business once they allow a person in, must allow everyone. I never said that and that is not how it is. A public business is a business that deals with the public. A private business is not a business open to the public, aka gardening service, housekeeping, plumbers etc. Is that easy for you to get?

No it is not easy to understand because EVERY private business, one not funded by tax dollars is privately owned, privately operated, and as the property owner, their property rights should have priority over ANY claim.

No one has a RIGHT to demand my business provide them with the goods or services they seek. If we do not mutually agree, regardless of the reason, I should NOT be compelled (again with the slavery thing) to provide my labor (goods and or services) to another individual. It is slavery to demand this.

I should not be required to demand a membership to remain private. I don't care if I owned a coffee shop. If I find your behavior immoral, it is my RIGHT to tell you to leave. If I worked out of my home and ran the ONLY photography business in town, are you suggesting I should be required to put in a handicap ramp? The handicapped can drive to the big city and find 2 or 3 businesses that will accommodate them. If it is my home, as well as my business office, then no one has a "right" to dictate I put in an elevator if my office is on the second floor.

Only a truly sick, statist minded individual would think they had a "right" to demand 'their' situation or behavior be accommodated against my rights as the property owner. My goods and my labor are my property. My land and my buildings are my property. A business owner is NOT obligated to provide ANYONE, much less everyone with their goods or services.

Where do you derive this "right" to being provided goods and services that are the property of someone else?

Pure insanity.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
No it is not easy to understand because EVERY private business, one not funded by tax dollars is privately owned, privately operated, and as the property owner, their property rights should have priority over ANY claim.

No one has a RIGHT to demand my business provide them with the goods or services they seek. If we do not mutually agree, regardless of the reason, I should NOT be compelled (again with the slavery thing) to provide my labor (goods and or services) to another individual. It is slavery to demand this.

I should not be required to demand a membership to remain private. I don't care if I owned a coffee shop. If I find your behavior immoral, it is my RIGHT to tell you to leave. If I worked out of my home and ran the ONLY photography business in town, are you suggesting I should be required to put in a handicap ramp? The handicapped can drive to the big city and find 2 or 3 businesses that will accommodate them. If it is my home, as well as my business office, then no one has a "right" to dictate I put in an elevator if my office is on the second floor.

Only a truly sick, statist minded individual would think they had a "right" to demand 'their' situation or behavior be accommodated against my rights as the property owner. My goods and my labor are my property. My land and my buildings are my property. A business owner is NOT obligated to provide ANYONE, much less everyone with their goods or services.

Where do you derive this "right" to being provided goods and services that are the property of someone else?

Pure insanity.
You just do not get it do you? A private business operating in ones home, is a private business. A coffee shop, donut shop, gas station, grocery store etc are open to the public, they do not have the right to discriminate agains people based on their religious views. Never.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
The definitive is private business, opposed to one open to the public. Open a public business and try to refuse a person service based on their religion, color, sex or sexual orientation, and you are in the wrong. Public does not mean funded by the government, it means open to the public.

Is it still MY property? Then how can I be compelled to accept the business of someone whose BEHAVIOR I find immoral? How can I be compelled to accommodate the handicapped if I cannot afford it, or moreover, if I find the accommodation a blight to my property? Whose property is it again? When did YOUR rights trump my property rights?

More and more insanity.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Bull, marriage has not been equal for us gay people. I do not care one hoot about your stupid churches and my goal is to strengthen marriage by making it available for every US citizen, not just its straight ones. It is paranoid thinking on behalf of the christians to think we want to go after them. It is the opposite, it is the church with the aganda to go after and destroy gays and any rigthts they want to receive. The church is evil and contentious, always has been.

Cool, just the fact of what you said above would be more than adequate for me to justify turning YOUR business away.

Funny thing... When sensible people find they are not wanted, they go elsewhere. When liberals or gays sense the same thing, they sue, demanding that their "rights" have somehow been violated.

If you can't have you way you have tantrums and sue people, making their lives miserable because yours already is, in an attempt to get your way. Most children learn by age 4 that temper tantrums are inappropriate.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Is it still MY property? Then how can I be compelled to accept the business of someone whose BEHAVIOR I find immoral? How can I be compelled to accommodate the handicapped if I cannot afford it, or moreover, if I find the accommodation a blight to my property? Whose property is it again? When did YOUR rights trump my property rights?

More and more insanity.
The government has the right to trump your property rights when you are open to the public as a business, aka not private. A public business does not mean it exists off of public funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies